FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME! we hope

Just Katie

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then here we are, Sunday afternoon and not a single posting re Englands glorious start to the World cup, perhaps you are all of the opinion that they didn't really play that well and that ' football isn't coming home '. Never mind, you must surely have enjoyed the Argentina game, what an example of football, for the purist football supporter that was how a game should be played, passion and determination littered with skillful players, bring on the rest of the games, Scots Wha Hae.

That's right. Those overpaid, face fitting media darlings played pretty poorly, although they scraped the win. I can understand Crouch playing poorly as he isn't that good (and wouldn't be in the squad if he didn't play for Liverpool), but the rest who are mostly supposed to be world class, well it was a bit dire. Still early days yet....

What football - have I missed something - err no. AND I have to cope with the ruddy Grand Prix - some can sit and watch while others are sorting out todays redcurrants and making sorbet. Forget the jam, too ruddy hot.

If I had my way it would all be shown in the middle of the night so those who really are fanatics can watch it - mind you it is, again and again and again. Ruddy metatarsal - in my day it was 'he has broken his toe' but of course we must drag this sport up to Sun readers level...

Sorry, already fed up with it and with the whine of the GP in my ear it is a hot and boring weekend.

We still live in one room hence the reaction and it is simply too hot to go outside even if I did not have work to do..

The piece by Kevin Mitchell  was quite entertaining as well a spot on, in some cases.

For fear of upsetting some supporters, I have been disappointed with

Beckham since the last awful appearances of his, in the World and

European competitions.

Sven has picked him constantly, regardless of his form and that has to say something about the tactically unaware England manager.

What Mr Mitchell quotes from George Best is true but George also said

the following when asked if Beckham was a great player  :

"Beckham can't kick with

his left foot, can't head the ball, can't tackle and he doesn't score enough

goals. Otherwise he's all right."

Another similar  quote added that Beckham could not run, with or without the ball, either !!

Must say Argentina looked extremely competent and if they continue like yesterday, they will be a force again this year.

Completely right. Sven only picks players based on who they play for, not based on how good or what their form is like. Otherwise people like Crouch, Walcott, Hargreaves, Jenas and even Gerrard to a certain extent (who is like John Barnes at international level, ie practically non existant most of the time) would never get in.

Hugh - I'm not a Ms. My name tends to give that away...

North Britain.

I was making an oblique reference to the period after the Highland Clearances, when the clans and the tartans were suppressed and the name 'Scotland' was expunged from the map, at pain of prison, and replaced with 'North Britain'. For some time after the phrase was used by the more effete of London society, which I was ironically copying. Hence, 'North British' = 'Scottish'. At Waterloo the Scots Greys were known as the North British Dragoons, in order to deny their Scots provenance. It is only done now by people who are making jokes.

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

Wae Hae Hughmandy.  3 points, that is all we need RESULT.  No postmortems please.  Oh except for discussion of how biased that ref was. [:)]

Scottish Dancer

I am happy and don't mind doing a wee jig for yaes all.  Wae Hae.

[/quote]

I started a thread about that but only Gay replied (thanks!).  I thought the ref. was incredibly biased. 

The lads didn't exactly set the world alight yesterday, but they got a result!  I reckon if they do go 'all the way' it'll be despite Sven, not because of him.

Come on England!!

[B][:)]

My apologies for another typing error, Mr Smith. And i apologise yet again for my ignorance as far as ancient Scottish history goes, but i can rest in peace knowing that you were only making a joke at my expense.

Anyway back to the real reason for this thread, footie and the world cup.

KKK, you will never get a post mortem from me, suffice to say that when the history books are read it will show that England won their opening game of the World Cup 06. That is without doubt and congrats for that but they were poor and will not progress far beyond 1/4 finals. Only the most ardent english fans and commentators will say that you played well most will say you played well enough though.

Nice jig but wrong colour tartan, look forward to hearing from you, Scots Wha Hae.

PS as far as the ref being biased then yes he was and good of you to admit that, it takes courage,ha ha [;-)]

[quote user="hughmandy"]
Nice jig but wrong colour tartan, look forward to hearing from you, Scots Wha Hae.

PS as far as the ref being biased then yes he was and good of you to admit that, it takes courage,ha ha [;-)]
[/quote]

So you have a tartan?  I believe that make you a Highland Northern Briton rather than a Lowland Northern Briton. Yes?

I have got to give it to you,  I liked the ref quip.  You have a wonderful sense of humour[:P]

But then again you need it when you are from near Newcastle don't you?

I wore the Scottish national tartan for my wedding, however and please keep this between you and me, my family tartan is actually from Irish descendancy. I also hail from lowland Scotland, 100 miles from border, close but not too close. The footie is getting better game by game, cant wait for second round matches to see who really is on top of their game, wey aye pet, Scots Wha Hae

Final thought, just for a second there i felt you warming to me, until the newcastle quip [:(]

Sven could learn much from the emotional Socceroo boss Guus Hiddink.

Watch JosƩ, see how he reacts with the players, watch Sir Alex and

Arsene, all of them and many other bosses are "one of the lads" when it

comes to the game.

I will say Sir Alf  was pretty cool but soccer then, is not what

it is about today but the Ramsay's of this world, with his superb tactical skills,

which were ahead of the field, are hard to come by and  Sven is

certainly not in his class, as far as the World stage is concerned.

[quote user="AVIV"]

Do you think that the English World Cup campaign

means much to Sven (seeing as he's leaving) other than to show case his

talents?

[/quote]

I never ever thought running England was much more than a nice earner

for him to be honest. And his successor being given the job, is

just  another Graham Taylor in my opinion.

[quote user="hughmandy"]Missed the Aussie game, will watch the

highlights tonight, hear from tv pundits it was worth the watch unless

you are japanese,  Scots Wha Hae

[/quote]

Well the last few minutes certainly were, watch them celebrate !! And

did anyone see John Travolta, dancing with the Ozzie team in the

changing room afterwards ? It's to do with his ties with Qantas

apparently.

[quote user="Miki"]

[/quote]

But without the warmth, charisma and charm.

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Miki"]

[/quote]

But without the warmth, charisma and charm.

[/quote]

Quite true, Graham Taylor is actually a very nice man.