Was Herge a Racist?

Ford Anglia

Dat is a bit naive if I may say so. In general people are almost just as racist as they were but are now scared to say what they think by PC. I am not talking about a small minority of the educated middle classes either. You talk to many French, Belgians, Dutch etc. Not counting what the Brits say when the thought police aint listening.

Sorry, I didn't mean that people aren't so racist any more, just that it is no longer acceptable (in public!)  I meet plenty of racists, every day, it's just that they begin each sentence with something like "I'm not a racist but..." You know the sort of thing that comes next!

[quote user="cooperlola"]Sorry, I didn't mean that people aren't so racist any more, just that it is no longer acceptable (in public!)  I meet plenty of racists, every day, it's just that they begin each sentence with something like "I'm not a racist but..." You know the sort of thing that comes next![/quote]

Well I'm not a racist AND I don't know what comes next[8-)]

Back to Hergé, he only reflected the perception of the time as exhibited by the establishment including the church.If ever you are in Ostend, walk along the front half a kilometre or so towards Middlekerk and you will find the most amazing piece of statuary from the 19c, but they have removed the chains.

Ford Anglia, I congratulate you, but seriously doubt if it truly possible not to have prejudice against another group of human beings which does not amount to racism. It is so deeply ingrained in all our cultures. Would it were not so.

Surely, we have to be a little careful with Political Correctness?

It can and often has gone too far: far too far..............

For example, we could ban the following words and expressions, on the grounds that they are "racist":

Blackmail. Whitewash.  Black look. Sky looks black. Black Sheep of the family.

Boot Black. Blacking (for grates etc). Lamp Black.

White cliffs of Dover.

The following could be banned on the grounds that they are sexist.

Manhole cover. Hys-terectomy. Her-nia. Mankind. Man-Chester.

Manfully. Man-age. Man-itoba.

On this basis probably all books written prior to 1990 would have to be consigned to the bonfires. Including the complete contents of the British Library and the Bodlian. etc.

So, that's Shakespeare out of it: he wrote of "Fairies". And then of course there was Othello.

The Bible? Yep! Gotta go! Absolutely chock full of sexual innuendos, racist jibes and sexual discrimination!

The Qoran? 'Fraid so.

The Nazis did a similar thing, of course............................................. (Amazing! A perfect example of PC gone mad! I wrote a five letter word beginning with "N" in its plural, that means the Extremely unpleasant political party that Hitler and others founded.)

So where next? Excising the word "Fat" from our volcabulary on the gounds that it offends obese people?

So in future we would have to buy "Low Grease Mince": which then offends people from Greece.

So it would probably have to become, "Low in Artery-Clogging Non-Meat Substance of Non-Specific Person, Sexual or Ethnic Origin."

[Www]

Just been reading a "Margery Allingham";makes Herge look like an amateur but only reflects the time it was written but it is still published unchanged(thank God).Sorry thank some supreme being.

Yes tricky one this, Steve!

If we imply a deity then we offend the Aetheists and the Agnostics: and of course the Wikans.

And once we actually do get on to the God subject, it would have to include or exclude Budha and Allah; to keep the Jewish faith happy it would have to expressed as "****"

Then if it is Hinduism, there are dozens of the perishers!

Then, as you say, we simply have to acknowledge that "%%" might be mythical.

Next we must take into account the views of the Secularists; the Humanists and the Communists.

Then there is Shinto; the Bali Animalists............................................

Boy! I'm sorry I started this![:'(]

Did you know that even in nursery school Baa Baa Black Sheep is no more?   If they Really have to sing it, it has to be Baa Baa Green Sheep or something so as to not "offend" anybody.  Whoever heard of a green sheep anyway?

Its all PC lunacy.   Today we heard on the radio that schools will not teach pupils about Churchill and his part in the War, so I guess its only a matter of time before his staue in Parliament Square is dragged down like Saddam's in Baghdad was, then replaced with something abysmal.    They can't put Cherie there - she already has the new Grandstand at Lords (or is the Oval?.  Looks just like her.[:P]

As for Herge, his work is symbolic of its time but banning it won't make one iota of difference.  Most people nowadays realise that things were somewhat different when Herge wrote those books and we have actually moved onwards since then.

On behalf of the European Society for Ecologically Aware Uline Animals and therefore A Green Sheep, I must strongly protest about the derogatory comments made by the last poster!

ESEAUA is currently working tirelessly to improve environmental impact effects caused by farming of animals.

Indeed, we have recently been awarded € 50 million from the EU Green Fund to further our works.

Back to racism and away from all these Welsh references.

This statement by police on the BBC today is racist in my opinion. Whaddu think?

Greater Manchester Police said they were pursuing strong lines on inquiry.

A police spokeswoman said: "All three of these deaths are being treated as suspicious and a multiple murder inquiry has been launched.

"At this stage this incident is not believed to be gang-related."

Perhaps the green sheep are the ones from near Sellafield, or were they just fed Ready Brek?

I suppose then that Peter Piper will be banned for scrumping peppers, thereby encouraging anti-social behaviour amongst his peers.

Dingly-dangly-scarecrow in his flippy-floppy-hat will be arrested for frightening children.

And Lavender's Blue/Lavender's Green is also banned for giving kids unrealistic ideas that they might be King & Queen when they grow up.

Not to mention Little Jack Horner of course!

The list is seemingly endless........................................

According to an article in today's Figaro, the book had not been translated into English until about 2 years ago.

The English editor had not wanted to translate it because of its outdated "colonial" content, violence to animals and the presence of catholic missionaries (!)

Tintin's English fans apparently badgered the editing house, as they did not want to be missing out on the whole series and the book was eventually put for sale with a warning seal. It has sold around 30 000 copies.