Worst way to travel?

just john

Man travels from Greece to Poland strapped underneath a bus

Any one else suffered in their desire for mobility ?

My worst trip was in a Morris 1000 Van loaned to us to complete our journey after our car had broken down (on the way to a Modsports meeting at Thruxton; the Farmer neglected to mention it had no brakes to speak of and had been used to transport a variety of animals all of whom had left their mark[:)]

For me the worst was on a coach from Poitiers to the UK, packed with about 50 students singing all night..... [8-)]

And some being sick, and the toilets were leaking ....... [:-))] 

And on day 1 we had to walk around London all day...

No one was singing on the way back after 6 days !! [:D]

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The (normally) 20 minute journey one day, from one side of Belfast to the other, to see Mr Cat, when we were still “courting”!

4½ hours later, stuck in a series of bomb scares, steam belching out from under the bonnet & wondering if it was possible to sue the IRA for the cost of a replacement radiator.

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

[:D]

[quote user="just john "]I  remember a similar trip bit shorter than yours in the back of a mini van (Austin 7 countryman acually) with one leg alternately braced against the opposite wheel arch![8-|][/quote]

My trip was back around 1964... no autoroutes then as I remember, just N roads. Not that I could see much.... just peering through the windscreen from the back.

Every trip I can remember as a child.

Being one of 6 children when your Dad owns a tiny A35 van, and suffering from motion sickness to boot, did not make for pleasant journeys - for me or my fellow travellers. No side windows - just a pathetic ventilation flap in the roof.

Parents in front seats, 4 (!) kids in middle section and the youngest 2 squashed in the space between the rear seat and the back door. Was like a mobile pressure cooker about to burst apart. I seem to recall Granny stuffed in there somewhere as well, but one of us must have been lucky enough to have been left behind on those occasions.

Ah. It were greet.

[quote user="teapot"]Are we there yet?

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

[/quote]

Also got the French version  " C'est quand qu'on arrive ???   C'est quand qu'on arrive ?? On arrive quand ?? On arrive quand ?  On arrive bientôt ??

Mamannnnnnnnnn  c'est quand qu'on arrive ????  ( whern you still have 800 k to drive ............. [:-))] )           [6]

[quote user="just john "]

on the way to a Modsports meeting at Thruxton; the Farmer neglected to mention it had no brakes to speak of and had been used to transport a variety of animals all of whom had left their mark[:)]

[/quote]

Modsports?

Thruxton?

One of my favourite circuits!

I just used to love the series of Campbell, Cobb, Seagrave, after the chicane and home straightish bit.

Also used to love the Birkett Trophy (Six Hour Relay), and used to enter a team of MG Midgets.

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/MG-Pit71.jpg[/IMG]

Gluey (when young with hair), in just finished Midget, beforre painting at Lyddon, circa 1971/2. Mrs Gluey, (AKA Pit Crew), can be dated by Chrocheted Jacket which she had made.

[quote user="Frenchie"][quote user="teapot"]Are we there yet?

[/quote]

( whern you still have 800 k to drive ............. [:-))] )           [6]

[/quote]My father was pretty intrepid and when I was young in 1960, we took our first holiday abroad as a family and went to Spain in the car (a second hand Standard Vanguard  purchased in anticipation of the long trip.)  Ten minutes after we had left Colne (Lancashire for those who don't know) I came out with this line and didn't stop until we arrived in Cadaques - I guess about 3 days later...

With four heavily armed White Guards being driven to I know not where in Iraq at the end of a Villa furnishing contract.Eventually being left outside another villa miles from anywhere and told,by sign language, to knock on security gates.Then being taken in another car to Baghdad airport and told my visa had expired. Quite exciting but not at the time.

Regards.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

For me the worst was on a coach from Poitiers to the UK, packed with about 50 students singing all night..... [8-)]

And some being sick, and the toilets were leaking ....... [:-))] 

[/quote]

Cross channel ferry overnight, one December - I was the only one left standing, and nursing some-one else's baby (who similarly didn't seem to be affected by the waves etc).  Between the groans and the smells - not something I wish to repeat!  And boy, was I tired next day (fortunately I wasn't driving, but on a coach, so able to sleep  ......ish !)

and then there was 3 years ago, not long after buying the French house.

Celebrating something or other in bar with Atilla the Frenchman and his partner who, having abused everything anglais all evening, invited us back to theirs for a midnight pizza. My son-in-law and I assumed they lived nearby in the small village but next thing we knew we were being bundled into a lopsided Renault 5 with Madame Atilla at the wheel. She seemed to manage OK through the village but once outside, steering was by way of bouncing off either grass verge. And I knew for a fact that there was very little verge stopping us from tipping into a deep ditch. Only consolation was there was no chance of meeting anything coming in the other direction.

Pitch black, middle of nowhere, belting along to God knows where. Two nutters in the front, both clearly smashed out of their minds, about whom we knew absolutely nothing.

As we veered across the road to turn into a lane, my son-in-law, gripping the seat so hard his white hands were almost fluorescent, asked me quietly if I thought we would ever be heard of again. The same thought had crossed my mind.

5 minutes later, we slid to a halt outside their modest country home. And had the most enjoyable 2 hours I could remember, culminating, rather surreally, in the proprietor of the bar turning up at 2.30am to make sure we were still alive and to take us home.

The pizza was awful but the wines made up for it. Brilliant.

Two memorable ones - firstly by sea - it was the ferry between Oban and Barra in the outer hebridies. This was pre Lord Of The Isles (which is harldy luxurious) but the old boat was a real clunker. The ferry takes about 6 hours normally if I remember right, but on this day, we were on that tub for several hours longer than normal as it fought into the teeth of a storm.

Endless hours of non-stop vommiting - watching other people puking, puke slopping back and forth across the floors, laughing despairingly at the woman who was rushing to carry her son to a toilet, who puked midway across the focsle deck, she slipped in it and they both went down into the puddle, whereupon she puked all over herself and her son, who puked some more. The toilets looked like an explosion in an omlette factory. I couldnt stand the smell so spent my time leaning over the deck railing puking over the side, soaked to the skin by the storm. We got into Castlebay as the storm began to clear....Standing wobbly-legged on the deck, my stomach was beginning to settle when a seagul landed on the deck and started gobbling up someones cold pavement-pizza, the sight of which started me off again!

And secondly, still on a bodily waste theme, a bus from Edinburgh to London. The driver had the heating system set to "inferno" for the whole journey. 20-odd people on board, some of whom had B.O. problems...it was ripe. Then some animal laid a king-sized log in the toilet and blocked it up with bog-roll. That smelt nasty, but was nothing compared with what was to come. Seated on the back few rows were a group of very drunk chav scumbags....their conversation was held at very loud levels and concerned their sexual exploits who had done what to who with what and for how long, with "innit", "like" and "f*&^" used as punctuation. One of them loudly announced they needed a poo, but with the bog out of action, what were they to do? Much giggling and shouting came from the group as one of them laid a runny one in a crisp packet and slid it down the aisle. Scorching hot bus, crap smeared down the aisle, a blocked bog and a driver who refused to throw them off....If I had had a gun to hand, I would have happily killed every single one of them.

Gluestick, your photo of Lydden looks no different from when I raced there in the late 90's, it certainly hadnt changed from when I was a spectator in the late 70's except the ticket booths had gone.

My worst journey, a boat trip from Porta Vila on Efate Vanuatu to the island of Espirito Santo, to save the cost of the air fare I decided to travel on a copra boat sleeping in my hammock on the deck, journey time +/- 2 days according to how long they took loading and unloading at the intervening islands.

We were hit by a cyclone, the engine failed, my hammock snapped, the drinking water became contaminated  and the only food was lap-lap, finally after 4 days the boat sank just off the coast of Malekula where to cap it all I contracted Falciparum Malaria.

I took the twin engine Beech plane for the return trip!

You would remember this bend then, JR!

Notice how my Midget cornered so "Flat". Little roll-induced inner wheel lift, (Bearing in mind it's a flat out 90 deg sweeping right hander); thanks to much work on the suspension; and all within the regs!

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/Michaeleff/MG_Race_Lyd.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Frenchie"][quote user="teapot"]Are we there yet?

[/quote]

[/quote]My father was pretty intrepid and when I was young in 1960, we took our first holiday abroad as a family and went to Spain in the car (a second hand Standard Vanguard  purchased in anticipation of the long trip.)  Ten minutes after we had left Colne (Lancashire for those who don't know) I came out with this line and didn't stop until we arrived in Cadaques - I guess about 3 days later...
[/quote]

So that would be when you were in Laneshawbridge, then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Gluestick"]

You would remember this bend then, JR!

Notice how my Midget cornered so "Flat". Little roll-induced inner wheel lift, (Bearing in mind it's a flat out 90 deg sweeping right hander); thanks to much work on the suspension; and all within the regs!

[/quote]

No Lydden Hill, but Thruxton and plenty of classic spridgets still fighting it out to follow here Gluey, [8-|] .healeysport.org/ruk_events_2009.htm

Good to know that, John.

Sadly, that race at Lydden was the one at which John Gott, the well known and revered Big Squeally driver (And Chief Constable for Northhamptonshire) passed this mortal coil: he had a massive coronary after pushing his car into line after the race was stopped and a chum of mine had stuffed his Midget very badly, exiting from Chesson's.

Nice vid here: shame it's two wheels! Gary Le Bug will like it!

http://www.visordown.com/defaultLyddonCircuitGuide.asp

[quote user="PeterG"][quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Frenchie"][quote user="teapot"]Are we there yet?

[/quote]

[/quote]

So that would be when you were in Laneshawbridge, then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

No one ever lives in Laneshawbridge, Coops must be a Trawden or Earby girl.   [:)]

As we are nicely off topic now I was surprised to see just how slow the motorbikes are around a circuit, he certainly appeared to be one of the fastest that day yet was 10 seconds a lap off my best time using a motorcycle engined car.

More wheels, more grip, less balls!