Haiti

Frenchie

I have a friend who is / was ....... in the process of adopting a little girl in Haiti.

She's been there already,before Christmas,  met that lovely 5 year old little girl, came back to France and was to go there and bring her daughter back with her in two months.

And you all know what happened.

The orphanage she was in was very close to the " epicentre" of the earthquake  ( sorry, I don't know the English word for that.)

Among the 120 children that lived there, only 40 are still alive....

She doesn't know yet if her daughter is among those 40 children.

She wrote to me this morning, telling me the serious organization she is a member of are asking for help, even a few euros.. to help to the reconstruction of that orphanage and help the remaining children, who are on the street.

If you want to help and need something serious and concrete, you can contact me , via  a PM.

Don't feel obliged to, I just thought it may be of interest to some of you, if you wanted to give but didn't know how to.

Régine ..  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merci..

There's so much to be done for Haiti..

The students in my school have asked us, teachers, to make cakes that they will sell at break time. The benefit will be sent to a charity for Haiti.

Regards, Régine.

PS ! My friend is still waitig for news from her daughter Mana.

I had heard of Shelter box before but they were on the news yesterday - they are a Rotary Charity.....

Frankly I hope a lot of money is given quickly, (British Red Cross were collecting outside our local Waitrose on Friday and people were being very generous) not only because it's needed but because if people keep seeing that the aid is not getting through to where it is needed they'll stop giving. I just hope the Americans taking over the airport helps...

Edit: This article may not help either

Saw today that Senegal has offered Haitians free repatriation, a free plot of land and a new life.

This seems to me to be a good idea as Haiti has had it's problems and Senegal is a safer place to live and has more land and opportunities.

Do you have a suspicion that USA are invading in the name of aid?

Have you noticed that many planes with aid cannot land but useless politicians can fly in, gloat and make platitudes. They should be made to dig graves.

I know I'd be hopeless as a Journalist or Politician in this circumstance as my heart would tell me to roll up my sleeves and get stuck in, of course my head knows that probably isn't the best thing, but when I watched Hilary Clinton arrive I wondered if she felt the same in any way.. 

[quote user="Dog"]

Saw today that Senegal has offered Haitians free repatriation, a free plot of land and a new life.

This seems to me to be a good idea as Haiti has had it's problems and Senegal is a safer place to live and has more land and opportunities.

Do you have a suspicion that USA are invading in the name of aid?

Have you noticed that many planes with aid cannot land but useless politicians can fly in, gloat and make platitudes. They should be made to dig graves.

[/quote]

Sadly I think you are right. The US has already sent a couple of thousand troops there to help 'administer' and 'deliver' aid. I thought it strange also that a lot of aircraft at the airport seemed to be US military aircraft yet there were reports of aircraft carrying aid from other countries being turned away because there was no space. I do understand that they are the closest and you need transport aircraft to bring the aid in, but like you it makes me wonder if there is another agenda and the US are taking advantage of the situation, I really hope not as these poor people need all the help they can get.

I also read about the Senegal offer and thought it was quite a good idea.

I was rather sickened by one bit of news presentation which was with regards to people being saved from the collapsed buildings. It seems the French were the first to save somebody and the UK second. I thought the 'race' was just against time and saving people not an Olympic Sport  event to see which country can save a person first. It is often said that disasters bring out the best in people but it can also bring out the worst.

[quote user="Quillan"] I was rather sickened by one bit of news presentation which was with regards to people being saved from the collapsed buildings. It seems the French were the first to save somebody and the UK second. I thought the 'race' was just against time and saving people not an Olympic Sport  event to see which country can save a person first. It is often said that disasters bring out the best in people but it can also bring out the worst.[/quote]

And it's so untrue, Quillan.  The great majority of those rescued from the ruins have been saved by fellow Haitians digging with their bare hands.

All organisations need a situation report before they can get things up and running ..but ..this seems to be taking longer than I would have expected ... The radio  this morning  broadcast a comment from a US Army master sergeant at the airport  When asked why there was not help on the ground getting people rescued he said "They are there ! ...You cant see them because they are under the rubble getting people out ".. I think the guys from the press know onty too well when they have a rescue team there or not ...There seems to be a lot of talk and little actiion at the moment ... The situation re looting and robbery's,  for food and water needs troops among the population now ! They should have air- lifted  them  in first ...They could situation report  and protect  at the same time .  But of course some body would shout "invasion " would they not ? So its wait for permission and watch people die it seems ..

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I had heard of Shelter box before but they were on the news yesterday - they are a Rotary Charity.....

[/quote]

No - to be accurate, they are a charity founded by a Rotarian, rather than a Rotarian charity, but true, Rotary clubs all over the world do support it greatly.  In fact my club at Lezignan-Corbieres et Minervois has this week paid for a Shelterbox for Haiti, and are hoping to supply another in conjunction with our associated Inner Wheel club.  When I was in England last year, I attended a Rotary club meeting where they had a shelterbox on display and we had a very good chat about it, as well as being able to investigate its contents at close quarters.  Even the box iteslf when emptied of its goods is used for shelter or other purposes.

It is a very simple idea - the boxes are stored in different countries (in the UK it is Cornwall, in France Grenoble I believe) and in conjunction with Rotary clubs local to the disaster, the boxes are sent as soon as a need arises, often they are the first of all the charities to arrive with shelter. 

I noticed that Virgin Atlantic were shipping them out to Haiti as fast as they could.  Well done Sir Richard.

A box costs £750 I believe, but you can contribute an amount via the Shelterbox website which can then be put towards the purchase of a box.  Once those currently in stock have been used for this disaster, pleas go out for more, to replenish stocks, so they are ready immediately to send when needed.  Thus you do not need to wait until a disaster happens to contribute, but could do so at any time you wish.

I really don't think we ought to be talking about an American 'invasion' - please don't - that's not right.

Its humanitarian action on their part;  maybe Haiti does need 'political' changes - but surely that's in the future.

The fact is the USA were there fairly quickly and are geographically closer than most other aid countries.

What I am puzzled about is this;  I can remember seeing pallets of food, water, essential supplies being 'dropped' by parachute from transporter/military aircraft before now   (can't remember now what the reason was - floods, starvation, whatever) - but the need was being met by parachute drops of supplies.    I am surprised that this isn't happening.    Anyone know why not ?

Watching the unloading from cargo aircraft on the news last night it seemed the unloading was so s-l-o-w - by one person handing on a small package to another person.  Very time consuming - very slow....and heart-breaking when you realise the desperate need of these people.

Puts a lot of other problems, and comments, and whinges into perspective - for the moment anyway.   

Chessie

I am not watching the rolling news but the only food aid being delivered I saw was being chucked out of a helicopter.

One reason unloading is so slow is that the only crane has broken.

If the US navy can get there why isn't an old cruise ship there to take the walking wounded on board and feed, clothe, give medecine and a cabin. It's going to be ages before they can start rebuilding.

When things settle down they could then be taken in the boat to Senegal if they want to.

At times like these we should think how lucky we are! Forget exchange rates forget health issues and whether CPAM are or are not going to pay.

I was in South Wales in 1966 and we saw black and white TV of those at Aberfan digging as well with their hands to free their children.

A generation was lost at that time think of what has happened here.

In 1966 it tested my faith and it is no different at this time.

Christine, I saw it too.

C'est la crèche où mon amie doit aller chercher sa fille...

Pauvre petite, elle est certes vivante, mais elle a une très grave blessure à la jambe, qui s infecte, elle a besoin d'une opération, mais les secours sont si débordés.. elle risque l'amputation.

Ils l'ont montrée dans l'émission " 66 minutes " sur M6 , peut ^être y aura t il une rediffusion.

Whilst I can understand all the concerns about why aid isn't happening faster etc, I don't think that any of us can begin to comprehend the logistical nightmare of what's happening. 

What I am going to say now is a fleebite in the overall scheme of the tragedy ............. but why do we now have to have George Aleguiah (?) just flown in by the BBC, to add to Matt Frey in the last day or two, and two other perfectly competent reporters before that?  That's the BBC, and I may well have undercounted the number of bods. Then there's ITV, C4, SKY, and all the other countries.  

[quote user="chessie"]
I really don't think we ought to be talking about an American 'invasion' - please don't - that's not right.

Its humanitarian action on their part;  maybe Haiti does need 'political' changes - but surely that's in the future.

The fact is the USA were there fairly quickly and are geographically closer than most other aid countries.

What I am puzzled about is this;  I can remember seeing pallets of food, water, essential supplies being 'dropped' by parachute from transporter/military aircraft before now   (can't remember now what the reason was - floods, starvation, whatever) - but the need was being met by parachute drops of supplies.    I am surprised that this isn't happening.    Anyone know why not ?

Watching the unloading from cargo aircraft on the news last night it seemed the unloading was so s-l-o-w - by one person handing on a small package to another person.  Very time consuming - very slow....and heart-breaking when you realise the desperate need of these people.

Puts a lot of other problems, and comments, and whinges into perspective - for the moment anyway.   

Chessie

[/quote]

The conspiracy  therists will always paint a picture.  This time it seems to be invasion.

As to your question - you prbably remember food drops to refugee camaps in the Etheopian plains, Sudan or similar - basically drops onto flat land where there was a coodinated group to pick up.

Haiti is unfortunately different being quite montainous - with an 8000ft plus peak just some 30 miles from Port au Prince * - dropping on uneven ground just determines that the cargo will be widely scattered and largely destroyed - and yu have to drop from a greater height normally.  Add to that the apparent lack of coordination within the country and that is why the American have gone in - to provide coordination and logistics, without which a french mobile hospital would be left at the end of the runway or looted by desperate people..

*btw - does anone else get totally hacked off with the BBC pronumcing this Port au Preens instead of Port au Prans?  It is clearly a directive from on high because on day one a number of reporters were hesitating with the pronunciation - now they've all got it word (im)perfect.