second home owners, here is some good news for you

mint

Since I posted, I had a quick look at the gouv.fr website.

Basically, it said that if you’ve got an abnormal situation, talk to the French Embassy in your country. So, my instinct was right !

i certainly wouldn’t want to set off for the Tunnel (with the family all excited, etc) and face the very big risk of being turned round at Folkestone. If your friend really thinks that a utility bill would suffice, then the kindest thing I can say is that he hasn’t thought it through.

Thank you for your replies.

I just spoke to him by phone. They are not going to leave yet, but he knows of people who managed with just an attestation and a utility bill.

They are also thinking of making a French tax declaration for the short time they spent in France last year.

He speaks French and Spanish; he used to work for me in Spain.

Incidentally, they have already sold up in the UK are staying with family at the moment, and are near enough to Folkestone that they can go back if necessary.

Well, I guess time will tell.  As said a utility bill most definitely does not prove your French house is your residence principale.  If you've made a French tax return, that should state if your French home is your residence principale or secondaire. 

I can't imagine if the requirement is that you are returning to your residence principale and you don't have a titre de sejour, how in the world can you prove your destination is your residence principale?  What am I missing?  If it is TO BE your residence principale, it isn't yet as you don't have the documents to prove it.

I would not attempt it, but I am not a risk taker.

[quote user="Lori"]
Well, I guess time will tell.  As said a utility bill most definitely does not prove your French house is your residence principale.  If you've made a French tax return, that should state if your French home is your residence principale or secondaire. 

I can't imagine if the requirement is that you are returning to your residence principale and you don't have a titre de sejour, how in the world can you prove your destination is your residence principale?  What am I missing?  If it is TO BE your residence principale, it isn't yet as you don't have the documents to prove it.

I would not attempt it, but I am not a risk taker. [/quote]

Before I got a titre in 2017, I used my latest Avis d'Impôt to prove residence for 15 years or so. I had very little else.

Before that, the document from the notaire stating I owned the house, plus utility bills were sufficient for all the necessary démarches which came up, such as joining the social security system, so I believe those would be enough to return to one's only residence.

How many on this forum own a house in France, but don't have a titre de séjour?
EDIT: I meant live in France, see later post.

Did no-one here in that situation happen to be in the UK, or in any other EU country, when the lock down began?

"How many on this forum own a house in France, but don't have a titre de séjour?"

All the holiday home owners, for a start. Which is why I imagine the border officials will be highly sceptical about Brits who have utility bills and actes de ventes but no avis d'imposition and no carte vitale, especially if they're driving a UK registered car with UK insurance and a UK driving licence, all showing a UK address.

What conclusion would you draw?

"They are also thinking of making a French tax declaration for the short time they spent in France last year."

Yikes, just spotted that bit. Good luck with that... have they thought through all the implications?

What type of income would they declare - because if they declare any kind of earned income, and they're not registered to work in France and not paying social cotisations, they risk finding they've opened a nasty can of worms.

I don't think you should encourage them down that route.

"Sorry, I meant to ask how many on this forum who live here don't have a titre de séjour."

There are many possible angles to your question nomoss.

I have a titre de séjour but I don't currently live in France.

I did live there and I intend to again, but right at this very moment I don't.

Nomoss wrote : Sorry, I meant to ask how many on this forum who live here don't have a titre de séjour.

Contrary to ET's situation .. there are many people who live here in France but who don't have a cds

OH and I, plus two elderly friends (plus others hereabouts) don't have cds's because we were all actively discouraged from applying.

On going to the Préfecture (that dates me) we were firmly told (twice) that .. as we were 'resortissants Britanniques' .. we had no need of a cds.

Reason : We were European.

That was then, but things change.

Now we will all need them in the future .. there will be no problem as we all are stable, regular residents of LBF .. needing but a few pieces of paper to show in order to obtain said card.

I shall be v happy to have one .. ?

We are in a similar situation.  The Préfecture would not issue CDS to Brits.  I understand some may have got them but it was only by being excessively persistent.

Tax returns for 17 years and Cartes Vitale have been sufficient to date.

Currently in the system requesting Titres de Séjour but that is in abeyance as no deal has been struck.

"Currently in the system requesting Titres de Séjour but that is in abeyance as no deal has been struck."

Citizens' rights were covered in the Withdrawal Agreement, which has been signed. I believe the issuing of CdS is only in abeyance pending the portal being tweaked and reopened in July or whenever.

Citizens' rights won't be affected by whatever trade deal is or isn't struck. That's why the EU insisted on getting the WA signed off first, so that citizens couldn't be "used as pawns" - remember that soundbite?!! There are still details that aren't set in stone and will depend on reciprocity, but as far as residence rights go, I think that is ringfenced.

[quote user="Weegie"]
We are in a similar situation.  The Préfecture would not issue CDS to Brits.  I understand some may have got them but it was only by being excessively persistent.

Tax returns for 17 years and Cartes Vitale have been sufficient to date.

Currently in the system requesting Titres de Séjour but that is in abeyance as no deal has been struck.

[/quote]

Not strictly correct.

The withdrawal agreement came into force on 1st Feb 2020 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brexit_negotiations

This should not be confused with the trade agreement treaty, which is still being negotiated.

The online system for Brits to apply for residence in the case of no deal was closed after the withdrawal agreement came into force, but a new site will be available from early July.
See HERE

Obviously, as Americans, we HAVE to have a Titre de Sejour to legally live here.  We also have our French tax returns for every year we've lived here and our tax fonciere (when owned a home) and always our tax d'hab for every year.

We have the 10 year Titres, so we don't have to renew them too often, which is nice.

I would think that it would be hard to state that France is your primary residence when you have no Titre de Sejour and no tax returns or other formal tax payments to back that up.  Plus, your car tags are not French.  The most basic of residency requirements.

Rubbish. The online portal for British nationals for a Carte de Residence will open in July. The ‘deal’ has been done, Britain has left the EU, the end of the transition period will determine the way the Britain is able to trade with the EU and other countries.

[quote user="BritinBretagne"]Rubbish. The online portal for British nationals for a Carte de Residence will open in July. The ‘deal’ has been done, Britain has left the EU, the end of the transition period will determine the way the Britain is able to trade with the EU and other countries.[/quote]

Thanks for your kind comments.  The French govt.  website has been deferred to July.  There is no guarantee that it will actually be up and running then.  As there is a requirement to visit the Préfecture, it will depend on how relaxed the strictures are.  Hopefully, they will be relaxed enough.

I am perfectly well aware that Britain has left the EU.  The "deal" I was referring to was the trade one.  Unless you know otherwise, such a "deal" has not be achieved as yet.

I will try to be more careful in future with my terminology in order not to upset you further.

Kind Regards

https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/accueil/vous-etes-britannique/droit-au-sejour.html

"A l’issue de la période de transition et si aucun accord alternatif n’entre en application"

[quote user="woolybanana"]Do worry, Weegie, his piles are troubling him again.?[/quote]

I wish people would be more specific[8-)]  Piles of what?  Piles of dosh, piles of food stockpiled in the pantry, piles of dog mess just outside the house?

BTW, the latter is what we have and I have yet to catch the person/s responsible.

Sorry your petty comments do nothing to improve the situation. A totally confusing post was posted and it needed correcting. Nothing wrong with me, the arse with the problems posted the fake facts. His response is almost equally bizarre, he now claims that the deal he claimed was still in the future has already been made. Give him a clap, a bit late, now all he needs to learn that the first deal was the one that is relevant residence cards, not the future result of the trade deal.