Embarrassing English in France

Georgina

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let’s get back to the thread....................

Chris, that was not the thread really was it ? it was originally about a chap who was abusive in a McDo . So Alcazar was on thread more, wasn't he, when the point was made about perhaps, why he did so?

We all have stories about British behaviour, none worse I'm sure than from the Brits who live in the Pas de Calais and have the booze cruisers in town for most of the year . As far as we are concerned Brit, French or otherwise, when push comes to shove, one has to stand on ones own personality and make up. If all Brits were great here, would that make all Brits good folk ?

I do of course get concerned about how some Brits act,  I have to be honest and say due to our style of living and working, we are rather wrappped up in a French way of things for much of the year but we do get out and see Brits on holiday, sure they can be loud, even brash and bolshy but that's not us, is it? I must say it is very rare indeed, for us to have anyone like that stay with us. 

You are what you are, so sod all that picking up jars with strange things inside and making oneself invisible if Brits appear, if one is worried and feels the need to explain, then tell a member of staff that you are not with them and do not want to be associated as such. It won't do you much good though, the same brush in France, tars us all !! Just act yourself and folks will respect you for what YOU are not the marauding excited holidaymakers (yes and some who live here and are still very excited by the thought of living in France )

I could tell you some pretty grim stories about French complaints and their ferocity and abuse, not at our place (thankfully) but when we have holidayed amongst them or in other circumstances.

I think as we are British we might notice the antics of other Brits more but, yes they can be terribly noisy and not at all au fait with the way things are. Who could really blame a dear old codger on his first or second trip here (or even his hundredth) for picking up a packet of frogs legs and saying to his mates, "ere cop a butchers at these fings, how do people eat that muck" 

Believe me when I say the French cannot believe what the Brits eat at times and are not afraid to come forward and tell you so either, often in gurgling noises and exaggerated hand waving motions..

There, another side to think about or dismiss and of course Chris, I have also now gone off (or on) thread !!

Believe me when I say the French cannot believe what the Brits eat at times and are not afraid to come forward and tell you so either, often in gurgling noises and exaggerated hand waving motions..

Gawd! That's what T.T. was trying to tell me! Here's me thinking  I had made the curry too hot! (do him a chinese next time instead)

Taking on board all the comments about breakdowns, I still wish that people of all nationalities "who can" (those with mental health issues being excluded), would desist from having their arguments in public places. There seem to be an increasing number of people who think that being loud is synonymous with being right.

"I think the guy was clearly at the end of his tether, and in one way, it's better that it came out in public. I know you were the person who witnessed this incident, so you are 'closer ' to it than others, but children are very used to hearing arguments between their parents, and better out than in, as they say, in this case, better to get it over with, hopefully, than take it home to a private place where things can go further. "

Actually, you are quite right, the kids never batted an eyelid, so obviously used to it.

Georgina

John, yes I guess that would be ideal and I would agree it would be nice but have you ever lived or stayed in Italy or even parts of Spain, not only do they eat late but they argue late as well, it is part of their culture and on occasions can even seem to be moments away from a bloodbath.

All part of life in some places and it is part of the reason for the name of hot blooded latins, which of course brings in quite a chunk of  Europe (it's not all to do with the boudoir, no not boudin either, that's another thread !)

“You know, I have eaten a McD on every continent (except Antartica). I hate them. Daniel (left) loves them, but never seems to eat the food...”

Sad git that I am I have done similar and even had my photo taken to prove I was there, don’t think I have done as many as you by the sounds of things.

I suppose some of the stories I have told does make it seem like all the Brits behave the same way and I know they don’t. Being bought up on “good manners and civility cost nothing in life” I probably notice the bad ones more where as the good, normal people, just slip past without noticing and no doubt out way the bad. Likewise not all English dads yelling at their wife’s in the play area of McDonalds are on the verge of a mental breakdown but then I wouldn’t know coz I was not there and I don’t know what had gone on before they got to McDonalds. Perhaps his wife had taken his teddy away and the guy was acting like a pedantic child (as we often do according to my wife), who knows?

None of you had rows in public then? Too well brought up?

I had a row with my partner in B&Q once. I shouted, really shouted at him and then burst into tears of frustration (can't remember why, probably over his choice of paint or his smirk or something). I was obviously having a bad day as I'm usually quite stable.

I wonder if folks went home and contacted a "shopping in B&Q" website about the appalling people who shopped there?

regards......helen

Is teh F word yet another reason for leaving the UK?  And what on earth were you doing in McD listening to them?  McD!!  Yuk! Thrice Yuk!!!   On the other hand, I am sure that the French do exactly the same but as they're speaking French we don't always know what they're saying, do we? 

My wife (french) knows all too well that I hate public arguments, and so is always in a strong position when it comes to a disagreement when out shopping etc.... When it comes to doing our dirty washing in public us Brits must rank amonst the most reserved of nations. Whether this is always a good thing, or not, is another matter. The only thing that embarasses me, here on the Côte D'Azur, are the hordes of Brits that make no effort whatsoever to integrate and have no desire at all to learn the language. Oh well, I've far more important things to engage myself with for now, as our first born is due very soon. The full moon is at the end of the month so we might have a couple more weeks to go. Apparently, the full moon sees babies being born left, right and centre!!

[quote]None of you had rows in public then? Too well brought up? I had a row with my partner in B&Q once. I shouted, really shouted at him and then burst into tears of frustration (can't remember why, p...[/quote]

So you're the Helen they have been going on about in the DIY UK forum.

What has been intriguing me is, did you really throw 10 litres Magnolia Emulsion all over him shouting,

"well if you want maggie you can ******* have it"  whooshhhhhhhhh.

cjb, you have said that you work at one of the international schools, english only? Doesn't that encourage people to not integrate and learn the language.

And re the french swearing, well I can't think of one person who doesn't. Even the most reserved of friends will come out with putain de merde and other such classy terms as a regular part of conversation. French people to row and swear in public......... the funniest was our neighbours son screaming, in the roadway, at his own sister, fille de pute..........nice eh!

And this friend T.T., wouldn't that be Titi, that is a usual diminutive.

International Schools in France teach in English and French. In my class nearly every child is at least bilingual, there are some that are fluent in up to 4 languages by the age of 10. International Schools turn out multi-lingual children who go on to integrate throughout the world!! Nearly a third of my class are French and those non-french children that really wish to integrate can easily do so. How many bi/trilingual children do English or French schools turn out?

Our school is run by the Local Chamber of Commerce and as such is viewed as an integral part of the local economy. 95 per cent of staff speak fluent french and in many cases have French partners. I'd argue that such a school is very integrated into what is essentially a very international area.

cjb, I have had little to do with International Schools. Several years ago I was in contact with a couple, both private. One in the south and one in Paris, both said that they held their lessons in english and their pupils did english exams. Rightly or wrongly, I assumed that such establishments would not be producing bilingual/multi lingual pupils anymore than a french school is capable of doing so. The necessity of french appearing to be somewhat lacking considering that the children were living in France.

I also contacted a state linked international school in Lyon, which sounded far more as you described.

how come tu can say putain de merde and I can't say******rel?

Someone several pages back asks a question about McDonald's that I'm almost ashamed to say I can answer.  They aren't standardised internationally, they cater very much for local tastes.  In the Middle East they make a thing called "MacArabia" which is their idea of shawarma, ie grilled chicken in pitta bread.  In India the Mumbai branch (not that I've eaten there, I much prefer the local Wimpy) out of respect for non-beef eating Hindu majority make their Big Macs out of minced lamb and it comes with a chilli sauce relish. 

It's also reassuring to hear that other Brits try to blend quietly in to the background when legions of our loud fellow countrymen descend, glad it's not just us. 

M

Yes the French do row in public, one of our neighbours a few months ago was having a right ding dong in the street with another,(one male ,one female) when it started to get physical Mr O stepped in to stop the man from slapping the woman(both aged roughly 40) as none of the other bystanders were doing anything but enjoying the row. At this point the mans daughter in her early 20s told my husband that it was ok as the people arguing were brother and sister! This seemed to be acceptable to the audience and we do know that the lady in the row has also been hit by her husband in the past as unfortunately one of our girls was in their house at the time. Still trying to piece together the argument,but know for sure it stemmed from money... 

There is an element, I think, of people who assume that because they are speaking a different language then they can say what they like where they like.  You usually find them on camp sites in France (I am not being snobby here, I have stayed on camp sites) and I think this was the case, re. my original post, he just did not care. Actually, since studying the language, I have found there are many French people who do understand you when you are speaking English but say they don't speak English because they are frightened to make a mistake when they speak to you. Do you agree?

Georgina

Yes I do agree that more people understand English and have orrigionaly told me they do not know any, but after getting to know them and become familiar they then test their skills on me. One mum at school asks If she can speak to me in English and me respond in french , which we always do.

We once stopped for lunch at a very nice restaurant in Granville,only to have the meal ruined by an English couple arguing audibly about the future of their marriage, the moment to speak up and tell them we were English, passed about the same time some rather more intimate details came into the equation.

Horribly embarrasing..............

It seems that everone assumes that this couple were resident in France , and things had not worked out as planned which is why they were poor , hence the cause of the argument etc. etc, but maybe they were on holiday ? or visiting friends or relatives , we will never know.....

We sat next to a couple in the restaurant , on a Brittany Ferry trip back from St. Malo , they spent the entire meal arguing loudly , I felt embarrased for them mostly , after the meal , the woman left the situation and they were both later seen on their own for the rest of the journey. The main gist of the argument seemed to be that they had differing expectations of their holiday , these folk were both well dressed , well spoken and seemed to have plenty of money.

I think these things happen to a lot of people from all walks of life, for a large variety of reasons ,I wonder if they are on this forum .

Regards,

Jude