Good on you George

Proud ! If I was Scottish today I would be strutting around like Denis Law after scoring (or Jim Baxter !)

Well, I put my hands up to George Galloway, what a speech he gave to the senate.

I have not always rated his politics but I have to say that personally, I feel he certainly gave the senate one in the eye.

No proven evidence against, him just smokescreens by the handful.

He stood proudly against the senate who showed no honour whatsover in this case and must now look carefully how they wish to continue this case. No doubt over time, even more unprovable evidence will appear to try and blacken his name and all the time, the problem sits firmly in their own back yard but to admit that, would put the Americans in the black books of nearly every country of the world .

Brilliant George, just brilliant.

I disagree Miki. I think he was bombastic and crude. If he is in the right (and I think he might be) a better-judged performance would get him a lot further, especially as his name is mud in the USA already. Mind you, I still haven't got over the arrogance of his election night performances. It was nice to see someone stuff it to Donald 'Cheeseburger' Rumsfeld, though.

Is there any fuss in France about the Frenchman, Charles Pasqua, who was supposed to have been taking kickbacks at the same time? Apparently he has issued denials - is he off to Washington, too?

In a world that has many politicians speaking with forked tongues, it is near impossible to know just who you could trust to stand shoulder to shoulder with against terrorists, whether they come with explosives strapped to their waists or hold high office in government.  Every now and then you can't help admiring those people whose skill  is to say how it is in the real world.  Here I am thinking about Tony Benn, Enoch Powell, Ken Livingstone and George Galloway.  There have got to be others I know, but I could listen to those 4 (I know Enoch is dead) and vote for them any day.

Before anybody tells me how misplaced I am to admire those particular examples, I think dropping bombs on people in order to improve their lot is a bit misplaced.

weedon

[quote]Proud ! If I was Scottish today I would be strutting around like Denis Law after scoring (or Jim Baxter !)Well, I put my hands up to George Galloway, what a speech he gave to the senate.I have not alw...[/quote]

**Brilliant George, just brilliant. **

Best comedy routine so far this year! We are still laughing!!

I rather enjoyed it also.

George was a little OTT, but the slightly sick look on the senate committee chairman's face as he realised he had provided Galloway with a perfect platform to educate the American public about the war was priceless.

I doubt a second invitation will be forthcoming!

Stephen.

[quote]What got me was the senator who came out and cast doubts on his credibility - pot and kettle came to mind......[/quote]

**What got me was the senator**

Please share with us your knowledge about this Senator's credibility.

It was an interesting performance.

George Galloway is either a very wronged man or a very wrong man.

I do not believe anything any politician says.

My advice to Mr Galloway is to buy a bullet proof vest and employ a food taster.

Brilliant was the word that occurred to me too. The Americans are up to their necks in this dirty business and it was good to hear someone telling them so. I particularly liked his comment afterwards when being interviewed by the press, he described the senate chairman as George W Bush's "lickspittle".

Patrick

Put it like this Ray - we know that the Bush and Blair administrations were rather economical with the truth. (or perhaps just guilty of employing poor advisor's ?)

Who had the bigger vested interest ? Did any of the senators perhaps have an interest in oil ? Selling arms ? Or righting the wrongs of their father?

I'm afraid I doubt the 'justification' for war a great deal more than I doubt Georges integrity

I may not like Mr Galloway overly, but he has yet to be PROVED a liar.

But thats just my opinion

[quote]It was an interesting performance.George Galloway is either a very wronged man or a very wrong man.I do not believe anything any politician says.My advice to Mr Galloway is to buy a bullet proof vest ...[/quote]

I'm not sure how I view Mr Galloway. From what I've heard about yesterday he debated well and in hindsight, he was right that the war was not necessary.

But it seems to me that he once had the ear of Saddam, yet he spent the time campaigning for the US, UK etc to leave Iraq alone. The war could have been prevented if Saddam had brought in democracy and resigned. When George had Saddam's ear did he suggest that? Did he lobby Saddam to comply with the UN orders?

I am now convinced that the UK joined the war on a false premise, but I also think Saddam could have done more to prevent it (his own ego being the only loss). I don't think George Galloway used his influence properly.

According to Mr Galloway he only met Saddam twice, like Mr Rumsfield. I doubt his influence on so short an acquaintance.

I have to say I hold no particular brief for Mr Galloway however I think that many British and American people had the 'gut' feeling that war was wrong, our political leaders paid no heed to an anti war stance and yet now we find that they were mislead.

My own opinion was that far from not being an issue, many people remembered Iraq when it came to the recent election and the drop in Labour (Blair ?) votes is a direct reflection of this.

Political views aside, it was both funny and freshing to see the American panel squirm at George's response to their report. If they had been on firmer ground I am sure he would not have made mincemeat over them the way he did. I hope they make it a TV series.

Regards

Simon

[quote]Put it like this Ray - we know that the Bush and Blair administrations were rather economical with the truth. (or perhaps just guilty of employing poor advisor's ?)Who had the bigger vested interest ?...[/quote]

**I'm afraid I doubt the 'justification' for war a great deal more than I doubt Georges integrity**

This is getting boring to hear. People seem to forget that the UN believed he ha WMD's as did most of the world at that time.

We are not accusing him of anything, the Iraqi documents are.

Hmmmm? Doth he protesteth too much. Who knows yet.

[quote]Brilliant was the word that occurred to me too. The Americans are up to their necks in this dirty business and it was good to hear someone telling them so. I particularly liked his comment afterwards ...[/quote]

** I particularly liked his comment afterwards when being interviewed by the press, he described the senate chairman as George W Bush's "lickspittle".**

And why was that?

[quote]According to Mr Galloway he only met Saddam twice, like Mr Rumsfield. I doubt his influence on so short an acquaintance. I have to say I hold no particular brief for Mr Galloway however I think that m...[/quote]

No, maybe 2 meetings is not enough for George to exert influence on Saddam.... but did he even try?

Like you, I now feel that the war was unjustified, I think I was lied to. But I also feel that both sides could have prevented war. TB and GWB could have prevented (not started) the war BUT equally, SH could have prevented it by doing as he was told by the UN. OK, as it was the UN that was telling him, it should have been the UN that decided when / if action should have been taken. But the fact remains, SH could have prevented it, he really could, a lot of the fault must lie with him. He was as arrogant and pig headed as TB & GWB.

I am quite happy that George Galloway was vocal in his anti war views to TB and GWB... but think he should have been equally vocal (even if only via the media, Al Jezeera perhaps?) to SH. SH had as much power to stop the war as TB & GWB had to start it.

I really wish that the human shields that went to Iraq as a protest to the "west" had used their time while there to protest to Iraq as well (note "as well", not "instead of")

Problem is nobody tells the emperor he has no clothes. Maybe Georgeous George began the process. If they dont believe their closest ally, who will they believe. Hate your politics, love your guts Galloway.

Ray said ".....This is getting boring to hear. People seem to forget that the UN believed he ha WMD's as did most of the world at that time. We are not accusing him of anything, the Iraqi documents are...."

Documents already having been to court and proved 100% non conclusive much to the cost of the Telegraph. As George said, if the Senate had any proof whatsoever, the proof would have been on show and any person with any proof would have been present.

".....Hmmmm? Doth he protesteth too much. Who knows yet.."

And sorry but methinks the "American" RAY doth protest too much. Are you doubting your country's lust for arms and the inevitable constant need for oil. Over 6 billion dollars of oil taken out since the invasion but of course they never went there for oil, it just kind of fell into their laps and well, you know the rest I'm sure.

Some 520 people remain incarcerated at Guantanamo Bay all without trial or date of such, imagine that done by any other country, imagine the outcry by the World Police.

Time to stop defending the indefensible and look at the United States politicians from the angle that most of the rest of the world see them and if not and your patriotism runs too deep, then please, at least don't mock about it getting boring, I somehow doubt the million dead and, many just children of Iraq would find that boring, no more than the people of America would find that the wiping out of a small town "boring"

Don't forget the UN could not find WMD and so were prepared to carry on searching and still, when none could be found and when asked to allow an invasion insisted that war would not be declared legal, GWB went in on his own mandate and started an illegal war.

Give me 100 Galloways, Benns and Skinners, they may not be the most fashionable of politicians but to my mind, they are the ones that at least offer us some hope for the future of politics in this most undesirable of times.

[quote]Ray said ".....This is getting boring to hear. People seem to forget that the UN believed he ha WMD's as did most of the world at that time. We are not accusing him of anything, the Iraqi documents ar...[/quote]

**Give me 100 Galloways, Benns and Skinners they may not be the most fashionable of politicians but tom my mind, they are the ones that at least offer us some hope for the future of politics in this most undesirable of times.**

One must be careful about one wishes for . . . . they just might get it! It would serve you right! (g)

"An honest politician would always get my vote.............."

Ah! You'll be a long time waiting to vote then. An "honest politician" is a contradiction in terms.

And I'm not just being cynical. I have yet to hear any politician even CLAIMING to be honest.

They will claim to give you an "honest assessment" or in "my honest opinion" But never "vote for me I'm honest"

Wardy

Not at all. I personally know a few, who I would put as extremely honest people.

It is pretty sad that one should feel along these lines

"...An "honest politician" is a contradiction in terms.."

I don't see it like that for every politician, many are very honest people. Don't think just because some get wrapped up in scandals and whatever, they all do.

It would be a very strange person, let alone a politician, who would feel the need to say "I'm honest, really I am" without being asked. If they did, I am sure that would send voters and any folks running for cover.

I enjoyed George's performance as much as everyone else.

However, if you read a more detailed transcript of the hearing, it is not as clear cut as it came across in the news headlines.

Although, he categorically denied trading in oil, he refused to answer questions, even with a denial, about receipts of large amounts of money from a named source. 

As with all politicians is not what they say, it is what they do not say that is significant.

I think this story has a long way to go yet.

Call me a cynic but at the end of the day he is still a politician!