Good on you George

"....Although, he categorically denied trading in oil, he refused to answer questions, even with a denial, about receipts of large amounts of money from a named source"

Which source did that come from ?

I watched the whole thing from start to finish and I have to say, I didn't see a denial of where the money for his charity came from. Mr Galloway said the Jordanian businessman had given money to the charity but George had never known where it came from, only who from.

If anything, he annoyed them by his own accusations and these are the things that keen journalists may well hone in on, to see just how many senators or firms owned by senators are actually involved with anything at all to do with the Iraq issue. It will also be interesting to see just how many world firms will be found to have been "corrupt" during the oil for food programme. Both the UN and the USA will certainly need to do some pretty good talking to find a way out of this now "well known secret"

[quote]I enjoyed George's performance as much as everyone else. However, if you read a more detailed transcript of the hearing, it is not as clear cut as it came across in the news headlines. Although, he ...[/quote]

I agree - George Galloway picks his words far to exactly and cleverly to be telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Is he or was he a lawyer?

[quote]Not at all. I personally know a few, who I would put as extremely honest people.It is pretty sad that one should feel along these lines "...An "honest politician" is a contradiction in terms.."I don'...[/quote]

**I don't see it like that for every politician, many are very honest people. Don't think just because some get wrapped up in scandals and whatever, they all do.**

UNLESS they are American, of course.

I said I would be interested and I have been, especially by the way Galloway's protegé continues to contort reality. I was happy to see some common sense replies, as well. Thanks.

Last word on Galloway - 'The fat lady ain't sung yet!'

I don't know a lot about the American Politicians, but I am lead to believe that the US premiss for going to War was to remove Saddam because he was a nasty piece of work. I think ours was that Saddam posed an immediate threat (45 mins rings a bell) to the UK.

If I am right, then the US politicians took the country to war because of something which was/is true, although this may not justify the deaths, it does give them a bit more credibility in the honesty stakes.

I think that you are right there JFM. Bush didn't whine on about the 45 minutes thing.

And if anyone needed getting rid of I would have preferred it to be a couple of  other dictators. North Korea and Zimbabwe come to mind first. No oil though, so no chance of them doing that.

The US's whole relationship with Iraq over the last 20 years stinks to high heaven.

And George, well, I really believe he will have to watch his back from now on. I don't think that they wanted honesty, just someone who would subjugate themselves before them and lick their backsides.

Mr Pasqua it has to be noticed has not gone to the US to defend his honour. He is bleating his cause here in France instead.

Miki "....I don't see it like that for every politician, many are very honest people. Don't think just because some get wrapped up in scandals and whatever, they all do."

Ray said ".......UNLESS they are American, of course"

If you say so Ray !

Ray "........I said I would be interested and I have been, especially by the way Galloway's protegé continues to contort reality. I was happy to see some common sense replies, as well. Thanks."

What, you mean interested enough for you to call it boring and call the matter laughable, even with all the deaths of innocent children and the way the country has been ransacked and left more unstable than it ever was before.?

Ray said ".....Last word on Galloway - 'The fat lady ain't sung yet!'"

I think she has a sore throat, she is 21 to nil down and she ain't gonna catch up, cause the big villains are next in the ring and they won't need to fly in, they are right under their noses. !

They won't put anything on George unless they get their printing set back out and do some more extremely iffy letters.

Wonder where George put his loot, or perhaps he bought in on the 6 billion dollars worth of oil that just somehow found its way back to the good old US of A !

[quote]This probably doesn't help the debate in any way..... but...... An American friend once told me that "the US has the best politicians that money can buy".[/quote]

Couldn't have put it better myself John

[quote]This probably doesn't help the debate in any way..... but...... An American friend once told me that "the US has the best politicians that money can buy".[/quote]

Nice quote. 

Another one that made me laugh, although slightly different business, was the one by Mel Brooks who said in answer to "whats the secret of success in your business" replied "sincerity, and if you can fake that you've got it made".

weedon

[quote]Nice quote. Another one that made me laugh, although slightly different business, was the one by Mel Brooks who said in answer to "whats the secret of success in your business" replied "sincerity, a...[/quote]

Actually, it was Groucho Marx . . . . but still a good line!

[quote]Actually, it was Groucho Marx . . . . but still a good line![/quote]

I stand corrected on the origin of said quote,  but it was some time ago and I thought I was doing well to remember it because it was some time ago that I saw Mel Brooks being interviewed on tv and he may well have attributed the quote to Mr Marx then.

weedon

[quote]I stand corrected on the origin of said quote, but it was some time ago and I thought I was doing well to remember it because it was some time ago that I saw Mel Brooks being interviewed on tv and he...[/quote]

In my opinion, Mel Brooks is one of the funniest men alive. I go all the way back to he and Carl Reiner's '2000 Year Old Man' routine. Before then they were both comedy writers for all of the big American comedians of the time. He is one, crazy off-the-wall b-tard! My kind of humor. As you probably know, he has been married to Anne Bancroft for about a hundred years and she is as great a wit as he and also a fine actress. I'll bet their life has been a riot!

Especially if you remember her in "The Graduate".

I always think that two riotious, apparently happy marriages in the UK would be those of Lenny Henry and Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders and Ade Edmondson!

However, "Springtime for Hitler" does take some beating!

Hey Hoddy, don't see you on here too often.  Speaking of great partnerships, have you made an honest man of that wonderful other half you have yet?