Eurovision anyone?

One of our neighbours is having a Eurovision party tomorrow night - French, English and Swedish participants - but I think all three songs are C***.  I'm going for Moldova - did anyone see the semi-final last night?  A Euro-rock band with a fat granny holding a big drum, dressed in national costume and sitting in a rocking chair has got to get SOME votes surely  Apart from anything else I can't wait to hear what Terry Wogan has to say about them.  I thought the eastern European/Baltic states were soooo much better than the original western European competitors - they seem to understand the spirit of the competition much more.... lots of catchy, kitschy tunes and outrageos costumes; the more established countries all seem to take it too seriously.

Am I the only sad soul who will be watching?

[quote]One of our neighbours is having a Eurovision party tomorrow night - French, English and Swedish participants - but I think all three songs are C***. I'm going for Moldova - did anyone see the semi-fi...[/quote]

No! you won't be the only sad soul to watch it!

My daughter will be watching it that she can keep up with her work colleagues. Though she absolutely hates watching TV! She much prefers listening to the radio... One of those weird teenager!...

She is at home now after 6 months travelling and stacking up money for University. She has found a job at a local factory making blinds and curtains. She has found it very difficult to have a conversation with any one else as it is limited to what was on TV last night ESPECIALLY the soaps.

So we've told Father to go to the pub! Him and Eurovision don't go together! and us the girlies will have a pizza/popcorn/plonk evening!

So at least 3 sad souls watching it!

Damn, we'll be missing both Eurovision and the FA Cup Final this year, we're going to our first French wedding.

Of course there are plenty of sad souls about who watch Euro.  I had a Eurovision party in my house last year, about 20 of our neighbours and friends turned up, both French and British (and one Australian guy who just looked confused throughout).  Everyone was a 'judge' and anyone who wanted to give 12 points to their 'neighbours', either geographical or political, was threatened with banishment to the chicken shed for the rest of the evening.

Great fun.  I'm going to miss out this year tho.

Salut,  another sad soul here - one of four who watched the semis last night - and there'll be 12 of us watching tomorrow - no dressing up though which is a shame!!

I think my personal favourite last night was the guy in the silver lame suit thing (with the guns&roses type backing band) - can't remember which country, although the granny in the rocking chair with the drum was really something special.....

the guy providing the commentary also had us in stitches at frequent intervals....

looking forward to seeing the rest tomorrow, I'm sure it will be even more fun after a couple of glasses of something alcoholic!

I am going to a Eurovision Party. We do not watch the songs just wait for the voting. We run bets on who gives who what votes irrespective of the song. As usual the UK will give Ireland a high mark and recveive nothing or a low one in return. But the best comes from the Eastern Countries where you can put your Maison Secondaire on the outcome.

Yes, I'm sad!

I learnt to love the Eurovision Song Contest when I lived in Copenhagen.  Would now love to go to a Eurovision party, but instead am banished to the back room on my own.

I like the two guys with the anti-war song and sign language..... can't remember the country unfortunately.  I do think the UK song is a repeat of last year's winner!

Loved the comment about the commentators last night having a picture of Terry Wogan in the pink fluffy frame - and the Ukraine TV rep asking if it was the British P.M.  Even if not true, gave me a belly laugh..

Chrissie (81)

I last saw it when Father Ted Crilly won it with My Lovely Horse. A great song that really deserved to win, and it did! I love horses, especially Palaminos. They are a lovely colour, very like a golden camel shade of beige. I wonder what you would get if you crossed a camel with a horse? I loved Bucks Fizz too!

Was that song "I want to be a polar bear" a Eurovision entry? I wrote a song for the Irish song for Europe, It was titled "my arse will arrive later"  It was based on a true story about a teenage fat woman living in Barrow In Furness during the 70's sugar shortage, unfortunately they picked another song.

I am working on another song now for Bulgaria, as yet untitled. 

I do think Javine's song is a pile of horrible smelly stuff with bits of grass in it. Why would you want to touch her fire? what sort is it anyway? a living flame gas type or a real log fire? What sort of message is it sending out to youngsters? what if they go round putting their hands in fires? I think we shall see the A&E departments full of kids with burnt hands after listening to the very controversial lyrics in her song.

I think my personal favourite last night was the guy in the silver lame suit thing (with the guns&roses type backing band) - can't remember which country, although the granny in the rocking chair with the drum was really something special.....

He was brilliant wasn't he Fi?  Reminded me a little bit of Freddie Mercury.  Believe it or not, it was the usual "Nil points" Norvege who did the silver lame bit - I think they might score a few points this year!  And apparently granny is fast becoming the hot favourite!!!

Furryknickers, you're absolutely right, what a load of rubbish that Javine is, and if anyone burns their fingers I think she should be sued - usual c****y entry from the UK, makes you embarrassed to be British sometimes

The guys doing the sign language did get through last night, but I can't remember what country they are representing.  Anyway, I think tomorrow night could be a classic, there is certainly plenty of material for Prime Minister Wogan to get his teeth into.

BTW, can anyone give me any Eurovision facts?  I think our host is planning a quiz, with prizes

I normally watch it for a good laugh but I can't take Wogan any more, I'm sure that he was on something last year and was totally useless. He will be suicidal and affronted this year as Ireland are out, is there some way I can watch and listen to it in English without having to listen to him?

Personally Tel makes it for me!  But you could turn the volume down and have Radio 2 on and listen to Ken Bruce, but then, I can't stand him!!!  Last year we didn't have UK TV so watched it on French TV.  They were quite amusing but not  a patch on Tel, until it became evident that France had no chance of winning and then they completely lost interest and started having a private conversation between themselves, on subjects nothing to do with Eurovision whatsoever!!

Thanks SB, I knew I would be able to rely on you  Let's hope my host decides to use the BBC quiz - but then, could my conscience allow me not to own up?......

Eurovision without Wogan would be like Spotted Dick without custard! I love old Tezzer (not in a sexual way) And he really makes my mornings listening to him on radio 2.

I think he does wear a wig though! Blokes in wigs are a no go as far as I'm concerned! I hear he goes to Tesco without his wig on, and he is unrecogniseable. I like Tesco too. I saw Meg Richardson in Tesco back in 1974, a lovely woman she was.

I think the gummy old woman with the drum will win!

I'm not afraid to say we all watched it and  nearly came to blows with hubby continually moaning about politics and neighbours voting for neighbours etc and it should be down to the number of records sold and the rest of us telling him to shut up cos our telly is on the blink soundwise and we can't tell one act from another. Was it me or was there a similarity in the French and UK theme and costumes? Anyway I went to bed before it finish(clothes shopping always wears me out) and my favourite had to be Norway with their glamrock act which actually had a decent tune to it. Javine who? Never heard of her before this week and don't expect we will again,but at least that Jordan didn't get to do it,she was even worse and pregnant too.

Watched it up until the Norway noise, fell asleep, woke up to hear similar noises of same song, fell asleep, woke up, I swear it was the same noise again.  Finally I woke up properly to hear the voting and heard the same noise, it was that ghastly screechy women presenter with the cardboard cut-out bloke next to her.

What they should have done is put all the performers on the stage at the same time singing their songs as it was difficult to tell any difference except for the big lump from Malta and the peasant lady beating the big drum whilst sitting on her comode.

The voting was the best bit, best bit?, there wasn't a best bit just a tuneless jangle of dross. Whatever happened to good tunes like "Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep" and "Oh bla di oh bla da".

Can't wait till next year.

weedon

One child, aged 12 and myself watched this (missed the first few songs due to inserting brat two into bed) and thought it was funny...what we could hear of it. The French presenters were so busy slagging each other, the singers, politics, the population of the world in general that they drowned out the music! From what little we heard, we lived Latvia. Rapmusicfreakkid was a bit worried about the guys in handcuffs...

What a farce. Still, beats banging your head on a wall

The voting is even more unbalance than our general election. How can the votes from a tiny country with a handful of peasants have a much sway as an over populated place like the UK, rance or Germany??? Next year we've got to split the UK country into its constituent parts, England, Wales, Scotland, Yorkshire, Wessex, Cornwall and Congleton, same thing in France, Sabaudia as one and then some of the lesser departments.... then we all agree to vote for each other no matter how bad the song. That'll bring the trophy home.