Forza Italia!!!

I don't know about the rest of you but I find the Italians very slightly less slimy than the Portugese. Why didn't Zidane just chin the bloke on the world stage? He'd have been president within a year or two!!!

Ah well, it's just a game eh?

Chris

It'll be interesting to see what comes out of the Zidane incident. He was walking away from the Italian and something was said. Whatever it was it made him go back and nut him. Although I have to say that it was a bit of a girly nut.The Italaians have a problem with racism both with supporters and with some players and I wonder what could have made this splendid footballer act in this way.Having said that Italy deserved the win although this thing of falling over when a moth farts is killing the game.

It was actually a pretty boring game, with the Italians undeserving winners on the night. Hardly a save to be made by either 'keeper in the whole 120 mins.

All in all, a bit of a disappointment, particularly as we were due to go round to our neighbours for lashings of champagne had France won! 

[quote user="idontbelieveit"]It'll be interesting to see what comes out of the Zidane incident. He was walking away from the Italian and something was said. Whatever it was it made him go back and nut him. Although I have to say that it was a bit of a girly nut.The Italaians have a problem with racism both with supporters and with some players and I wonder what could have made this splendid footballer act in this way.[/quote]

Mmm like Cantona (one of my all time football greats); Even tonight people we were with had no notion as to what was said that made him respond as he did. Yes, what Cantona did was unacceptable, and boy did he pay the price.

What Zidane did was also unacceptable...at the moment I still don't know what it was that set him off.

I just loved Zizou, I still do. I'm so gutted, sorry if this is just a repeat of whatever I said elsewhere, but France losing is nothing like as bad as how he finished in his final match.

Chirac responded exactly like everyone else. Then he pulled himself together and did what he thought he had to do for the cameras... he did it pretty well really.

Were you supporting Italy? I thought the match (open play) was pretty equal.

Hubby was in Italy last night, earlier he texted to say he was the only one in the bar supporting france, 3am this morning got a text saying "couldnt beat them so i joined them" One man out of 10000s with a sore head later in Italy I think...........................................

[quote user="Tresco"]

Were you supporting Italy? I thought the match (open play) was pretty equal.

[/quote]

I thought France outplayed Italy from the moment they scored their goal to the time Zidane was sent off. If only they could have snatched another goal! Trezeguet has to be one of the most overrated forwards in the world and even if Zizou hadn't been sent off, he probably would have missed.

[quote user="Chauffour"]

Mamma mia those Italians!

in the same year they kick out Berlusconi and they win the World Cup!!!

[/quote]

WELL DONE!! and as a French person don't ask me WHY Zidane finished the game this way!!.. BOOHOO to him!

Scant consolation : France won the Ladies singles at Winbledon!! first time since Susanne Langlen... some 80+years ago!...

Looks like I might have been near the truth. Its being reported that the Italian could have called him a terrorist. For a muslim of Algerian origin this could be viewed as extemely provocotive.I'm not excusing this but he was definately walking away and something provoked him enough. Either way if Zidane is judged on the whole of his career and not on last night( where up to his sending off he was the best player on the park) he will be remembered long after everyone of the Italians will be forgotten. A good few of 'em may be playing in the third division later today anyway.

The implication seems to be that Zidane was on the end of some pretty

unpleasent "sledging" of a racist nature for the 110 minutes before he

cracked. I don't suppose the dislocated shoulder did much for his

humour either.

No, he should not have butted an opponant, but his antagonist got away

with it and that is hardly fair either. Interesting to note not a

single black or North African face in an Italian strip last night - I

wonder why not?

Zidane would have to do far worse than this before he ceases to be one of my heroes...

And that nasty little Italian player twisted Zidane's nipple just before - it was clear to see.   Of course he shouldn't have reacted like that but however saintly you are, there's only so much taunting that you can take.    

I thought France outplayed Italy the whole way through and the Italians were undeserving winners.   And I'm not anti-Italian at all; when I knew which teams were in the final I really wasn't sure which side I would support.

I am supposed to be working but my husband just phoned and said there were amazing scenes from the Place de la Concorde with thousands gathered to welcome the French team home, so I had to switch on the telly.   Practically the whole team was in tears - me too.   It was very very moving.

If he was subject to racism throughout the match and finally from the Italian player he assaulted then personally I think his reaction was justified although regrettable.There are worse things you can do than hitting someone and a proffessional sportsman shouting racist abuse at another is one of them. There is a player in  the Italian league at the moment who runs to a part of the ground populated by a facist supporters group and gives the facist salute.That is just unacceptable anywhere but on a sportsfield where open contest by equally matched participants should be the benchmark it is beyond the pale. However FIFA do little but play lip service to anti racism with a small homily before some matches while allowing the spanish manager to go practically unpunished for saying something that got Ron Atkinson booted out of his media career.

[quote user="Opas"]

He is at the end of his football career, suposedly going into politics but in the interim period he will make millions on the back of this incident, I wonder what his book will be called?

[/quote]

Getting ahead?

[quote user="jond"]The implication seems to be that Zidane was on the end of some pretty unpleasent "sledging" of a racist nature for the 110 minutes before he cracked. I don't suppose the dislocated shoulder did much for his humour either.

No, he should not have butted an opponant, but his antagonist got away with it and that is hardly fair either. Interesting to note not a single black or North African face in an Italian strip last night - I wonder why not?

Zidane would have to do far worse than this before he ceases to be one of my heroes...

[/quote]

We don't know whether the antagonist was an antagonist yet. Its all media supposition at the minute and I didn't know until talking to a French footie fan today, that Zizou has got previous for head butting players.I'm not anti Zizou, just wish he would come forward and clear this up one way or another.[:(]

Do you think its racism that keeps black players out of the team in Italy? I really don't know. [8-)]

You don't get any/ many players of pakistani origin playing for England. Do you not think that if they were good enough to merit a place in the team , they would be in there? Football is such a multi million pound industry now, I cannot imagine any team / country not signing a player because of the colour of his skin when there is so much money to be made or am I being naive?

Could you imagine if Man Utd PLC had a UK player of Pakistani origin in their team, the sponsorship and kudos it would bring with it would be phenomenal. It wouldn't matter if the chap was rubbish really - look at Beckham he's a real money spinner.

[quote user="Viv"]

[quote user="jond"]The implication seems to be that Zidane was on the end of some pretty unpleasent "sledging" of a racist nature for the 110 minutes before he cracked. I don't suppose the dislocated shoulder did much for his humour either.

No, he should not have butted an opponant, but his antagonist got away with it and that is hardly fair either. Interesting to note not a single black or North African face in an Italian strip last night - I wonder why not?

[/quote]

Do you think its racism that keeps black players out of the team in Italy? I really don't know. [8-)]

You don't get any/ many players of pakistani origin playing for England. Do you not think that if they were good enough to merit a place in the team , they would be in there? Football is such a multi million pound industry now, I cannot imagine any team / country not signing a player because of the colour of his skin when there is so much money to be made or am I being naive?

[/quote]

I don't know how many North African or other youngsters with different colour skin  get the chance to become talented footballers in Italy or other countries, but there were obviousy many opportunities for them in France. They at least  got the chance to build a career and become a part of the multi-million buisiness that is professional football - whatever their colour. 

I agree with you Twinkle and it says a lot about France being a fairly tolerant country despite the odd hiccup.

But according to the font of all knowledge that is Wikipedia less than 1 percent of Italy immigrants as far as I can tell from this passage below would have darker faces. ie non European. That compares with 10 per cent in France. It also said in the article that Italy has only really had mass immigration from Africa etc in the last 15 years, so it might be that the talent in these communities hasn't yet developed and been spotted.

I certainly think there are some very unsavoury racist elements in Italian football as there is in British footie. But I don't like to hang the whole country if there is a possible ( not necessarily probable) explanation for why they have no coloured footballers.

The number of immigrants or foreign residents in Italy has steadily increased to reach 2,402,157, according to the latest figures (1/2005) of ISTAT. They currently make up a little more than 4% of the official total population. The majority of immigrants in Italy come from other surrounding European nations, and they number 1,122,276, and chiefly come from Albania, Romania, the Ukraine, and Poland. French nationals living in Italy, according to ISTAT figures, are more commonly women than men. The next largest group consists of North African Arab groups, and they number some 447,310 chiefly from Morocco, and Tunisia. Smaller groups consists of Asians, South Americans, and sub-saharan Africans. Top 5 largest foreign minorities are Albanians (316,659), Moroccan (294,945), Romanian (248,8491), Chinese (111,712), and Ukrainian (93,441).