Balanced Forum

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Pepper"]Hi I've always found that when this trouble comes up on forums (as it does on every forum I've ever been on) The best way of course is if you're not happy with the way the moderators moderate thise site, then go and set up your own, then its your own rools and no one else can tell you what to do![/quote]

I suppose that is why some people leave one country and go live in another.  Others of course try to change the country from within.  Probably... I guess... or something.

Re: Quillan's posting

No ofence but you are talking (writing) sentimental nonsence.  You mention that before being a Moderator you were just an "ordinary person"!!!  Really? and what pray tell are you now?  Jeepers has it gone to your head or what?

Who exactly apointed you to say that grammar and spelling do not matter?  I have not got great spelling or grammar but I aspire to improve always.  You seem to suggest these things do not matter.  Funny.. only today I posted a serious question only to have a moderator reply completely ignoring the question and correcting my French! 

I have a nephew who eats with the falk in his right hand and when I correct him he says "it's a silly rule", maybe it is but it is a convention and MOST people respect it.  Rules and conventions are the things which distinguish us from the animals.  (And sky TV of course).

In a civilised society it is not individuals (even mods) who decide which conventions and rules we will or will not follow.  Conventions such as spelling and writing correctly are important and for a Mod to suggest they are not is... in my bumble hop-in-neon , wrong.

No offence meant, just expressing an opinion.  Forgive the spelling.

Crispy Dandruff

[quote user="dickdastardly"]Funny.. only today I posted a serious question only to have a moderator reply completely ignoring the question and correcting my French! [/quote]

I thought I was being helpful... my apologies if I offended you.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="dickdastardly"]Funny.. only today I posted a serious question only to have a moderator reply completely ignoring the question and correcting my French! [/quote]
I thought I was being helpful... my apologies if I offended you.
[/quote]

I am not offended, was concerned about your inapropriate response that's all.  No harm done.  Have a good day.

Crispy Dandruff

[quote user="dickdastardly"]

Re: Quillan's posting

No ofence but you are talking (writing) sentimental nonsence.  You mention that before being a Moderator you were just an "ordinary person"!!!  Really? and what pray tell are you now?  Jeepers has it gone to your head or what?

Who exactly apointed you to say that grammar and spelling do not matter?  I have not got great spelling or grammar but I aspire to improve always.  You seem to suggest these things do not matter.  Funny.. only today I posted a serious question only to have a moderator reply completely ignoring the question and correcting my French! 

I have a nephew who eats with the falk in his right hand and when I correct him he says "it's a silly rule", maybe it is but it is a convention and MOST people respect it.  Rules and conventions are the things which distinguish us from the animals.  (And sky TV of course).

In a civilised society it is not individuals (even mods) who decide which conventions and rules we will or will not follow.  Conventions such as spelling and writing correctly are important and for a Mod to suggest they are not is... in my bumble hop-in-neon , wrong.

No offence meant, just expressing an opinion.  Forgive the spelling.

Crispy Dandruff

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum although I have the feeling I know you from somewhere?

To answer some of your questions

1) A few people here seem to think different, not with just me saying it but when others have said the same sort of things. Must be the 'what' because it has definitely not gone to my head. To have done so and for you to presume otherwise you would have to know me on a personal level.

2) Nobody appointed me but this is a forum and the questions and answers given are more important than spelling mistakes and poor grammar.

3) Your nephew was right in that it is a silly rule going back to the times when one kept the knife in the right hand when eating in case you are attacked and you can defend yourself. If a person is left handed it is acceptable to use the fork in the right hand as it is when eating pasta. In fact you will see the fork laid on the right for eating pasta if the person laying the table knows what they are doing. If you get a copy of Debrett's Guide to Entertaining, a real must for those that hold formal dinners, you can read all this for yourself. Don't forget that Americans tend to cut their food with their right hand then change the fork to the right to eat. Which hand you use is neither a rule or convention and has not been since the early 1900's.

4) In that case, just for you and going by your own statement I have pointed out your errors in the above post and highlighted them for you.

Many a good thread has been taken off topic by those who prefer to chastise people for incorrect spelling or grammar to the point where the original question and its answer gets totally lost. Quite frankly it gets really boring at times.

[quote]Your nephew was right in that it is a silly rule going back to the times when one kept the knife in the right hand when eating in case you are attacked and you can defend yourself. If a person is left handed it is acceptable to use the fork in the right hand as it is when eating pasta. In fact you will see the fork laid on the right for eating pasta if the person laying the table knows what they are doing. If you get a copy of Debrett's Guide to Entertaining, a real must for those that hold formal dinners, you can read all this for yourself. Don't forget that Americans tend to cut their food with their right hand then change the fork to the right to eat. Which hand you use is neither a rule or convention and has not been since the early 1900's.[/quote]

Having had to attend any number of formal dinners and organise many, I am always astounded at how few people know which knife and fork is intended to be used for which course: why there are so many different wine glasses: and prior to the smoking ban, why one didn't light up before a certain toast and so on.

I am also horrified, when out, at the increasing number of people who hold their forks like a dagger about to be stabbed into something!

Sadly, the prevalence of TV dinners on the knee has led to an absence of a dining table in many younger people's houses: which means their kids have no chance to learn good table manners.

Most rules relating to conventions are "Silly" unfortunately, however lack of social mores has led to an increasingly uncouth population.

As an example, wearing a tie is perhaps an unecessary convention, since it serves no useful practice. It is only a sartorial fashion.

Dropping Mrs Gluey at the railway station, I have increasingly noticed, lately, how scruffy  most commuters have become: particularly young women.

Trainers don't look the part with a suit! Neither do bare midriffs.

Otherwise, even guys in suits and ties seem to wear "Policeman's" shoes: which are rarely if ever cleaned.

Perhaps it is high time to introduce Unisex Utility Suits, a la Eric Arthur Blair's forecast!

There are many bette noirs I could mention, Sweets!

Particularly sartorial hatreds! Such as young spotty "Managers" in stores wearing those dreadful polyester suits, white socks, spiky gelled hair, dandruff and three dozen cheap pens in the top pocket instead of a hanky to demonstrate they are "Management", who also call me "Mate"!

[+o(]

It's ages and ages since I last went to a ball, does one still wait until after the Queen has been toasted before smoking? 

And wouldn't it be quicker nowadays to microwave her (sorry [:$] ).

[quote user="Gluestick"]

[quote][/quote]

Dropping Mrs Gluey at the railway station, I have increasingly noticed, lately, how scruffy  most commuters have become: particularly young women.

[/quote]

For a moment, reading your thread Gluey, I thought I was reading the Henry Root letters.  [:D]

"Dropping Mrs Gluey at the railway station, I have increasingly noticed, lately, how scruffy  most commuters have become: particularly young women.

Trainers don't look the part with a suit!"

Gluestick

Perhaps these young women are keeping fit by walking from home to station then on to the office where they probably change into some smart high heeled shoes. [;-)]

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Gluestick"]

[quote][/quote]

[/quote]

For a moment, reading your thread Gluey, I thought I was reading the Henry Root letters.  [:D]

[/quote]

How do you know that "Gluestick" isn't really William Donaldson ?

[quote user="Cat"]

It's ages and ages since I last went to a ball, does one still wait until after the Queen has been toasted before smoking? 

And wouldn't it be quicker nowadays to microwave her (sorry [:$] ).

[/quote]

I think she's toasted herself, Cathy, after allowing Hello! to take the pics and write the article about her grandson's recent wedding............................

And yes: protocol does call for no smoking until after the toast to HM The Queen has been proposed and drunk.

But since people are not allowed to smoke in enclosed commercial premises anymore................

That's yet another longstanding tradition consigned to the dustbin of NuLab.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Gluestick"]

[quote][/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you know that "Gluestick" isn't really William Donaldson ?
[/quote]

'Cos Willie is no longer - he has expired - he has gone to the great library in the sky - he is a dead Willie

Sad but true.  Read what Craig Brown had to say:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/07/09/do0906.xml