Balanced Forum

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

"Dropping Mrs Gluey at the railway station, I have increasingly noticed, lately, how scruffy  most commuters have become: particularly young women.

Trainers don't look the part with a suit!"

Gluestick

Perhaps these young women are keeping fit by walking from home to station then on to the office where they probably change into some smart high heeled shoes. [;-)]

[/quote]

As does Mrs G in flat-heeled pumps quite a bit: she always walks at the City end and then changes into more "Dressy" shoes in the office.

Women did manage to walk around before the ubiquitous trainer was invented..........................................

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Gluestick"]

[quote][/quote]

Dropping Mrs Gluey at the railway station, I have increasingly noticed, lately, how scruffy  most commuters have become: particularly young women.

[/quote]

For a moment, reading your thread Gluey, I thought I was reading the Henry Root letters.  [:D]

[/quote]

I rather fancy meself, Cathy, as a New Age Gilbert Harding, without his rather worrying proclivities don't yer know.[:D]

Which rather gives away me age.

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="Cathy"]

[quote user="Gluestick"]Women did manage to walk around before the ubiquitous trainer was invented..........................................[/quote]

Did men? [Www]

[/quote]

Don Thompson, for one. [;-)]

[/quote]

Now I'm going to have to look up Don Thompson....

Edit: the only UK athletic gold medal winner in the 1960 Olympics - for the 50 km walk.

[quote user="Cathy"][quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Cathy"][quote user="Gluestick"]

[quote][/quote]

Dropping Mrs Gluey at the railway station, I have increasingly noticed, lately, how scruffy  most commuters have become: particularly young women.

[/quote]

For a moment, reading your thread Gluey, I thought I was reading the Henry Root letters.  [:D]

[/quote]

How do you know that "Gluestick" isn't really William Donaldson ?

[/quote]

'Cos Willie is no longer - he has expired - he has gone to the great library in the sky - he is a dead Willie

Sad but true.  Read what Craig Brown had to say:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/07/09/do0906.xml

[/quote]

Ah but....that could be just what he wants us all to think.. a Reggie Perrin moment by Gluey.  [I]   (ps. I like conspiracy theories)

[quote user="Cathy"]Gluey - what also happened in 1960 that you remember?[/quote]

JFK was elected to the US Presidency. (Checked: I am wrong it was 1961).

Macmillan's "Winds of Change Speech".

I drove my first Jag! (!950 Mk V Saloon. Epic moment and the beginning of a long term love affair.

Gary Powers shot down in a U2 Spyplane over Korea. (Checked correct).

Lots more but Mrs Gluey is calling me to fish and chips!

My weekly treat of low fat oven chips (bit of a cheat 'cos there is added corn oil!).

Plus the money to install an Aga - what did Mrs Blair (or Mr for that matter) want an Aga for in a constituency home?  They cost a bomb to run and they only would have lived there on the occasional Saturday.

Cathy, do you wear ankle socks or something?  Not know Gilbert Harding, you mere child?  Mind you, I wasn't that struck on the man and when he broke down on "Face to Face", I was not much moved.

As for 1960, no, can't say I remember that far back.

But, I do remember trains that had carriages that only had 2 rows of parallel seats facing with those racks above your heads with netting where you stored your luggage.

The anxious times when I travelled in one of those opposite some weirdo and feared for my life and my honour![geek]

I was born before 1960.  So I'm ancient in the eyes of my children.  And I am the oldest mother in the playground....

But we didn't have a television until after well after decimalisation (and I can remember what half a crown was).

I remember farthings too.  Always thought that the size of them was disproportionately large for their value.

Christine, do you remember pease pudding and did you have that with boiled ham like I did?