Balanced Forum

This Forum is losing its way.  We can only say good things about companies/people but we cannot  say not so good things!!! Oh please be sensible, by saying someone is not good or not recommended is not naming and shaming.

The Forum needs to have a balanced view. Otherwise everything is Disneyland and not real life.  People get shot down for offering this here. The Forum should offer balanced opinions.

What do others think?

Deby

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I would add - my thread seems to have been hi-jacked.  I didnt see the joke thing which is being referred to here.The subject to which I am referring to is what I have noticed across all subjects. An example would be the LHD thread - someone asked whether a  company was worth dealing with.  This was responded with a reminder of be aware of naming and shaming.  My point is by saying someone is not reputable is or not recommended is certainly not naming and shaming. I would also welcome what other posters think, not just Moderator bias. Clarification on this point would be helpful by the Moderators once they have listened to other posters opinions.

Deby

[quote user="Deby"]

This Forum is losing its way.  We can only say good things about companies/people but we cannot  say not so good things!!! Oh please be sensible, by saying someone is not good or not recommended is not naming and shaming.

The Forum needs to have a balanced view. Otherwise everything is Disneyland and not real life.  People get shot down for offering this here. The Forum should offer balanced opinions.

What do others think?

Deby

[/quote]

I agree with you Deby, but I think that there is a need in some posters to try and tip that balance with snide, abusive comments used only to provoke and annoy.

There was a post this morning that was 'pulled' while I was reading it, just another abusive rant from someone hiding behind a user name, I have no idea what went on after that as I was getting on with my other life [:-))]

I found that post offencive and again last night someone using degrading remarks about a certain group of people that the poster knew would offend many on this forum.

I think balance is what the mods try to keep (but they are only human[Www]) If posters use civilised conversation then then I think there is no reason why most things should not be discussed.

[quote user="Deby"]

Just thought I would add - my thread seems to have been hi-jacked.  I didn't see the joke thing which is being referred to here.The subject to which I am referring to is what I have noticed across all subjects. An example would be the LHD thread - someone asked whether a  company was worth dealing with.  This was responded with a reminder of be aware of naming and shaming.  My point is by saying someone is not reputable is or not recommended is certainly not naming and shaming. I would also welcome what other posters think, not just Moderator bias. Clarification on this point would be helpful by the Moderators once they have listened to other posters opinions.

Deby

[/quote]

I think you really do have to take that up with Forum Admin or Archant. Whether someone is reputable or not, is often a matter of opinion. If you had a bad experience with a customer and they posted x,y and z about you, it may not be unreasonable for you to feel aggrieved. I don't think Archant have, or want to have the resources to get into any sort of refereeing role, nor be sued for defamation etc, so there is a blanket rule to protect the company and other people too. 

I seem to remember the naming and shaming rule has been around for years. The way it used to be circumnavigated as it were was not to mention the name just what had happened "Builder took the money, didn't do the work and we have never seen him since" sort of thing. A brief one liner was left at the end by the poster along the lines of "If you want more details, name of person/company etc then please contact me by PM". That way there would be nothing that could get Archant drawn in to any form of litigation. Perhaps we should continue along those lines.

[quote user="Quillan"]I seem to remember the naming and shaming rule has been around for years. The way it used to be circumnavigated as it were was not to mention the name just what had happened "Builder took the money, didn't do the work and we have never seen him since" sort of thing. A brief one liner was left at the end by the poster along the lines of "If you want more details, name of person/company etc then please contact me by PM". That way there would be nothing that could get Archant drawn in to any form of litigation. Perhaps we should continue along those lines.[/quote]

Sensible suggestion - let's see if that stops some of the very rude comments which have been getting more frequent.  I agree that it should be possible to let enquirers know of any problems that others have experienced, and as the law of libel (or is it the other one when its written - sorry, been a long day, can't remember what it's called!) is not something anybody wants to get involved in, I suggest reminders of the possibility of "pm's" is flagged when needed.

[quote user="Cat"]Perhaps you should ask the forum owners, Archant, who provide and fund the forum? [/quote]

What an interesting comment.  Have you by any chance read George Orwell? 

My impression was that this was a site which invited open and fair debate about all things French and France with a particular bent upon UK people who live or aspire to live here.  Are you saying that we must seek approval from Archant on what we discuss because they pay for the site? 

I read the rules when applying and they say nothing of this.  Provided a statement is fair, non insulting and so on it should be published.

Please could you clarify this for me and any others who may be confused.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I think its great to have a balanced view, and thats the key word 'balanced' 

Plenty of critical posts are allowed, about all sorts of things, there is a fine line between posting logical criticism and spamming !

[/quote]

And yet finer between moderation and censorship....

[quote user="Cat"]It wasn't your fault powerdesal, we have had (as you may have noticed) a bit of trouble this afternoon.[/quote]

Cathy, before joing I followed that thread and by 'trouble' do you mean someone complaining about the jokes breaching guidlines... basically being a little racist? 

Say it how it is or don't say it at all. 

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Yes.

But not when the offensive jokes were posted...
[/quote]

Quite right Dick and the chap who protested strongly and eventually had them removed was.... guess what.... banned from the site.... He is my son....

Guess I may now be guilty by association... I hope not

[quote user="Russethouse"]The report button was always there....[/quote]

Funny that... Why the extreme enthusiasm when moderating on ryanair and the reliance on us to press the reject button when dealing with serious breaches of policy ...re racial and sexual content of jokes... 

I know I can't win... This is just a discussion but watch my posts get pulled

If you post here you have to abide by the Code of Conduct :

• Please do not advertise or post your personal details, products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

• Please choose your words carefully when posting a message. It is difficult to obtain the tone of written messages unlike when speaking to someone.

• Please keep to the topic of the original thread and do not start more than one thread about the same topic in different sections. This will help users to locate the information that they are looking for and will save space on the servers.

• There is to be no 'naming and shaming' on the site. If you have any complaints about particular individuals/companies then contact the relevant parties or authorities.

Users must not post messages which:

• Are insulting, abusive, racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not. This includes material sent via personal e-mails through this forum.

• Threaten, intimidate, victimise or harass others.

• Make libellous comments about individuals or companies, including Living France magazine and FRANCE magazine.

• Contain explicit language or vulgarities (whether written in French, English or any other language)

• Impersonate or represent any person or entity in an attempt to deceive, harass or otherwise mislead another member.

• Incite illegal activity

• Infringe intellectual property rights

• Transmit any material that you don't have the right to transmit under law (such as copyright or trade secrets)

• Link to and/or references content not allowed under these guidelines.

• Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant

• Impede or disrupt the flow of the discussions in the Forum

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Deby"]

Just thought I would add - my thread seems to have been hi-jacked.  I didn't see the joke thing which is being referred to here.The subject to which I am referring to is what I have noticed across all subjects. An example would be the LHD thread - someone asked whether a  company was worth dealing with.  This was responded with a reminder of be aware of naming and shaming.  My point is by saying someone is not reputable is or not recommended is certainly not naming and shaming. I would also welcome what other posters think, not just Moderator bias. Clarification on this point would be helpful by the Moderators once they have listened to other posters opinions.

Deby

[/quote]

I think you really do have to take that up with Forum Admin or Archant. Whether someone is reputable or not, is often a matter of opinion. If you had a bad experience with a customer and they posted x,y and z about you, it may not be unreasonable for you to feel aggrieved. I don't think Archant have, or want to have the resources to get into any sort of refereeing role, nor be sued for defamation etc, so there is a blanket rule to protect the company and other people too. 

[/quote]

On the contrary, provided you relay the facts accurately it is for the reader to infer from the post what he or she will.  It is not in my opinion for moderators to lend their often bias opinion and then expect all others to concur...

Just my opinion of course.  On the whole moderators do a difficult and good job... But why spoil that but not realising that some of your contibutors have good points and should be allowed to make moderate critisism and discuss moderating on this site.

Sorry bout spelling ...  Bit thick me.