President Obama

Dog

Religion or not if the message to help people to get more out of life by not killing each other is taken up ... starting in the middle east .....and is successful.... then he will have achieved somthing worth his presidency ... Arms industry wont like it though !

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="KathyC"]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]

And why was there so much religion put into the inaugeration if the US constitution is supposed to be a religion free zone?

R.

[/quote]

Freedom of worship isn't the same thing as a "religion free zone".

[/quote]

I meant it in the context that I understood the original constitution was written by atheists. It is secular in other words.

This being the first ever inauguration I have seen, was expecting it to be secular throughout.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"][quote user="KathyC"]

And why was there so much religion put into the inaugeration if the US constitution is supposed to be a religion free zone?

R.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I meant it in the context that I understood the original constitution was written by atheists. It is secular in other words.

This being the first ever inauguration I have seen, was expecting it to be secular throughout.
[/quote]

I agree would have beeen better.

All troops out of Afghanistan would be pleasant too - they are making more terrorists than getting rid of them and it's a war that cannot be won.

I watched most of it too and found it very moving. He certainly has charisma and as a commentator said, like JFK, he has the power to unite the country behind him.

Another point about the Afro-Carribean population in USA, as well as being the 2nd most numerous, ( apart from whites of various origins) they have been there a very long time.The first report of african slaves was in 1619. So their descendants have a long history of identity with the country.It's about time they were given the opportunity to have the top job.

The religious emphasis was unexpected , can't imagine that in the UK.

[quote user="Patf"]

The religious emphasis was unexpected , can't imagine that in the UK.

[/quote]

Coronations are quite religious occasions!

I thought the speech was pretty inclusive, specifically mentioning the major faiths several times.

[quote user="Dog"]If there was any justice the president would be a Native American.

[/quote]

Funny enough I was talking to some American guests last season about American politics and who they thought would make a good president. Jokingly I said perhaps Arnold Schwarzenegger on the basis that he would be the first 'A' rated actor in the White House. "Oh no, you have to be a Native American to be President". Did I miss something in my history lessons as I can't think of any.

Personally I don't care what colour, race, sex or religion a President or Prime Minister is providing they can do the job which I think is the most important thing. I do wonder if those nice white rednecks down south are celebrating tonight [Www] .

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

"God Save the King" was the first song to be used as a national anthem, although the Netherlands' national anthem, Het Wilhelmus, is older. Its success prompted a number of imitations, notably in France and, later, Germany. Both commissioned their own songs to help construct a concrete national(ist) identity. The first German national anthem used the melody of "God Save the King" with the words changed to Heil dir im Siegerkranz, and sung to the same tune as the UK version. The tune was either used or officially adopted as the national anthem for several other countries, including those of Russia (until 1833) and Switzerland (Rufst Du, mein Vaterland or O monts indépendants, until 1961). Molitva russkikh, considered to be the first Russian anthem, was also sung to the same music.

It is also the melody to the United States patriotic hymn "America" (also known by its first line, "My Country, 'Tis of Thee"), and was played during the Presidential Inauguration parade of President George W. Bush on 20 January, 2001 and sung by Aretha Franklin prior to the Presidential Inauguration of Barack H. Obama on 20 January, 2009. In Iceland it is sung to the poem of Eldgamla Ísafold. The tune is also used as Norway's royal anthem entitled Kongesangen, and was used for the Swedish royal anthem between 1805 and 1893, entitled Bevare gud vår kung.

The tune is still used as the national anthem of Liechtenstein, Oben am jungen Rhein. When England played Liechtenstein in a Euro 2004 qualifier, the same tune was therefore played twice, causing some minor confusion.

(Good old Wiki.....) [/quote]

Thank you SD (and Wiki) for the explanation.  Having just watched the inauguration on You Tube, I had been wondering why the National Anthem tune was being sung. 

I thought that it was rather symbolic, given that Obama said in his speech that US was a young country and was going to leave its childish ways.  I felt that singing American lyrics to (one of) its mother country's Anthem was analogous to a child (the US) shrugging off its parent (the UK) in order to grow up.  A further symbolism given that at last the US was realising Martin Luther King's dream for his own four children.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Dog"]If there was any justice the president would be a Native American.

[/quote]

Funny enough I was talking to some American guests last season about American politics and who they thought would make a good president. Jokingly I said perhaps Arnold Schwarzenegger on the basis that he would be the first 'A' rated actor in the White House. "Oh no, you have to be a Native American to be President". Did I miss something in my history lessons as I can't think of any.

Personally I don't care what colour, race, sex or religion a President or Prime Minister is providing they can do the job which I think is the most important thing. I do wonder if those nice white rednecks down south are celebrating tonight [Www] .

[/quote]

well you never stop learning Quillan...

To be eligible for the job of US president, the candidate must have been born in the USA and not just a US citizen. So that is what they mean by 'Native American'.

Danny

And there was me thinking it was the PC way of saying (Red) Indian. Just shows how you can make the head fit the cap I suppose although I did find it rather funny. Does that mean they are all really Red Indians and does that mean the phrase "To many chiefs and not enough Indians" is incorrect? [;-)]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"][quote user="KathyC"]

R.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The US Constitution (we've had only one, although it has been amended) was not, in fact, written by atheists.  It was, however, written by men who felt strongly about a need for separation of church and state.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

Either your guests were a bit sloppy in their language or you misunderstood them.  The US constitution states "No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this constitution, shall be eligible to the office of president".

[quote user="tenniswitch"][quote user="LyndaandRichard"][quote user="KathyC"]

R.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The US Constitution (we've had only one, although it has been amended) was not, in fact, written by atheists.  It was, however, written by men who felt strongly about a need for separation of church and state.

[/quote]

Ah, fair enough. I knew it was secular though.

Given that many of the men who wrote the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States were descendants of Englishmen and Europeans who had left their countries in search of religious freedom (as well as, economic prosperity), it would be surprising if they were not conscious of the inherent dangers of a government intertwined with any particular religion.

But it is also not surprising, given their backgrounds, that religion often was an important part of their lives.  What they were concerned about was preventing government from interfering in their practice of religion.

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

Either your guests were a bit sloppy in their language or you misunderstood them.

[/quote]

No they definitely said Native American which is what I found amusing. In a way you could say I misunderstood them because I always thought Native American meant Indian. I suppose its like rubbers and erasers I guess.

You have to be a bit careful in my line of work not to offend people. For example some Catalans get very upset if you call them Spanish, a thing I learnt in my first 6 months. I also had an American called Bob who I had already spoken to on the phone before he arrived. He had what I would call a good Californian accent. When he arrived I gaped a bit when I first saw him for no other reason than he was a Sikh. I had to explain to him that my jaw dropping was not racist but more out of ignorance because of his perfect American accent and him turning out to be Sikh complete with turban. I felt such a fool especially as he was a very nice chap. Fortunately no harm was done and we got on very well.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

Either your guests were a bit sloppy in their language or you misunderstood them.

[/quote]

No they definitely said Native American which is what I found amusing. In a way you could say I misunderstood them because I always thought Native American meant Indian. I suppose its like rubbers and erasers I guess.

You have to be a bit careful in my line of work not to offend people. For example some Catalans get very upset if you call them Spanish, a thing I learnt in my first 6 months. I also had an American called Bob who I had already spoken to on the phone before he arrived. He had what I would call a good Californian accent. When he arrived I gaped a bit when I first saw him for no other reason than he was a Sikh. I had to explain to him that my jaw dropping was not racist but more out of ignorance because of his perfect American accent and him turning out to be Sikh complete with turban. I felt such a fool especially as he was a very nice chap. Fortunately no harm was done and we got on very well.

[/quote]

I would have expected his accent to be English, too.  [:D]

Well that shouldn't take long.

Troops, get on the next plane and get back here where you belong.

There done.

Now for the recession.

Banks, lend some money. Use the extremly high bank charges you've been inflicting on people for years to finance it.

Done.

This being a president's a piece of cake.

Two problems solved in 3 minutes.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]Well that shouldn't take long.

Troops, get on the next plane and get back here where you belong.

There done.

Now for the recession.

Banks, lend some money. Use the extremly high bank charges you've been inflicting on people for years to finance it.

Done.

This being a president's a piece of cake.

Two problems solved in 3 minutes.
[/quote]

Sadly he didn't he's a lawyer - spend ages then send a very large bill including thinking time and extra for due diligence.