Heatwave

A heatwave is threatened in the South for Sunday Monday (It's already 33° today and up to 40° predicted)

Stay well hydrated, keep as cool as possible.

If you don't have air conditioning it's best to open the shutters and windows at night, and close them tight during the day to keep the cool air in.

In 2003 there were many deaths among elderly people

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why am I making jam in the middle of a heatwave?[:-))]

Well, the mirabelles were ripening by the minute and OH went out and bought a stoning implement as recommended by a forum member.

Oddly enough, the house is perfectly cool and pleasant indoors.  No direct sunlight on any windows and I feel like forty winks after lunch in weather like this.

Edit:  jam boiling over so may be gone some time to clear up the mess![:'(]

Wish someone had warned me that the mixture is liable to boil all over the top of the stove.

I'm even hotter now as I had to mop up the sticky mess with plenty of hot water.

Then, the oven, like yours, Clair, was on.  Not to dry ceps (which I wouldn't have minded doing) but to sterilise the jars.

In the midst of it all, the neighbour strolled in dressed in her swimming costume with a pareo (looking dead cool), holding a box of "can't remember the name" for getting jam to set.  She wanted me to translate the instructions for her.

The stuff was in sachets so it must contain some sort of gelling agent.

Don't know yet whether the jam will set as the saucers I had chilled in the fridge, ready to do the setting test, had all got warm by the time I'd finished talking to the neighbour.

I was transpiring a little on my afternoon walk in the forest - I dropped in to see my 86 year old neighbour.

She said you look hot but at least you can have a swim in your pool now.

I said she was welcome to come for a dip. But she said she didn't have a costume so I said don't worry you can go au naturel.

Well her daughter in law that it very funny...

Visiting my 98yr old aunt in her residence today and I was most impressed with the efforts the staff were making to keep the residents cool, even for a Saturday when they are short staffed and rather olé olé. After the 2003 disaster they don't want to be caught with their proverbial knickers down[Www]

Today has been hot and muggy and I am in the NE of England.

When I lived in France I would wash the floors and in mid summer they would take an age to dry if I didn't have the cool fan directed at them. Today was the same case here. Grrrrrrrrr, haven't unpacked my fans yet, maybe I need to, who would have thought it[Www]

Its horrendous here too but at least we are a few mins from the beach if need to cool down. We have stayed indoors most of the door as its much cooler in there with metre thick walls and no rear windows. OH not looking forward to work tomorrow in the upstairs of a well insulated property with lots of velux,think he may have to work naked

In Bristol at the moment, trying to get away from builders while they wreck my house in 34. Can't believe that the temp. today is 29C. Most of last weeks it has been rainy, 16C and cold, nearly put the heating on!!

In the way of the British, my father claimed today that it was 29 in the NE of England. He went into town to the shop and it said 29 on the car thermometer when he started the car - thing is by the time he got back 15 mins later it read 24. But he's happy to stick with 29! What is it that makes the British do this - like when they put the thermometer in the sun at Wimbledon to prove it's over 30 in the sun (which is a pretty useless figure).

JK, I believe that it has something to do with UK summers being more often than not disappointing.  Rainy, windy, grey, cold etc so much so that they have now put a roof over Central Court in Wimbledon.

So, people living in the UK love to be able to say how "hot" it is.  Do you remember those DM headlines that used to say "What a Scorcher!" and there would be pictures of people bathing in fountains or in the sea.

Then, those elderly retired colonel types would tap their "glass" and pronounce gloomily that the pressure is falling!

The weather is always "about to break" or "has broken" .......how, in my thoughtless youth I used to laugh inwardly at these antics except that nowadays I find myself  looking at the thermometer on our veranda and also tapping the barometer, LOL!

[quote user="JK"]In the way of the British, my father claimed today that it was 29 in the NE of England. He went into town to the shop and it said 29 on the car thermometer when he started the car - thing is by the time he got back 15 mins later it read 24. But he's happy to stick with 29! What is it that makes the British do this - like when they put the thermometer in the sun at Wimbledon to prove it's over 30 in the sun (which is a pretty useless figure).[/quote]

Well this morning at 11, NE England, our outside thermometer said 26°c in the shade on the north side of the house. It was hotter and humid later, and I do know hot and humid when I encounter it, lived in it for long enough. I didn't check the temperature later in the day when it was hot, didn't seem much point really, it was too hot for me and all I wanted was 'cool'.

I don't know where "here" is, Val, but I assume that your weather is coming North.  39 predicted for today and thunderstorms and mid 20s tomorrow.  I don't mind these high tempearatures for a couple of days, it's when they go on and on and I can't sleep that they get me down.  Happily, the one thing that modern tin-foil insulation does is keep the place ultra cool even upstairs under the roof so as long as the shutters and windows stay firmly closed the place remains bearable for a few days at least.

[quote user="cooperlola"] Happily, the one thing that modern tin-foil insulation does is keep the place ultra cool even upstairs under the roof so as long as the shutters and windows stay firmly closed the place remains bearable for a few days at least.[/quote]

Yep [:)] laine de roche/verre can't do that [8-|]

[quote user="Val_2"]Dept 29 north Finistère area. Rain stopped now but still threatening and not good for next two days either but we need it badly as we have drought regulations in force here.[/quote]Ah.  Weather coming South East then![:)]

Yes, Teapot.  I guess laine de whatever with a tinfoil layer on top would work best then?

Very hot here in 17, they say it will be 39C here, I think it's reached that already, [:(]windows and shutters firmly closed to keep sun and heat out.

Val2 please send rain and thunder storm this way a.s.a.p. We are heading for St Malo tomorrow and hoping for cooler days[blink]

No 1 daughter in Leeds said it was 32C there yesterday, they went to Harewood house and roasted in the heat.