Forum quiet, peoples priorities

Chancer

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Russet,

I thought William was busy hunting wild boar and deer in Spain while trying to save wild animals from extinction.

David 

[/quote]

I think it was a short trip..but the two things aren't really comparable, Boar need culling and the meat is eaten...only ***** (fill in your own word ) shoot and kill endangered species without good reason.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="idun"][quote user="NormanH"][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/ns_zps0b6391c5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/ns_zps0b6391c5.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

Don't I remember that Sheffield didn't do too badly with coverage, but no one cared about Kingston-upon-Hull, that really had the forgotten flood victims.

I have heard it said up here, that there was lots of coverage about Somerset as  there are lots of well off people there and then I heard it said that there was even more about the Thames area as the folks were even richer still. I am not making personal comments about this, just mentioning what has been said during the last few weeks.
[/quote]

Somerset has a lot of agricultural workers which are not always (or ever !) well off, and the Thames Valley has a very diverse population, however most riverside properties carry a premium, but its not always just them thats affected

Its blowing a hooley, and raining too but on the whole this area is OK....Sonning is likely to be closed until the summer, Henley traffic is sometimes horendous, both my offspring are home (daughter in her own place ) so I can breathe a sigh of relief ....the worst local news is that  there was a dreadful accident in Purley last night with two cyclists killed which is simply awful :

It goes deeper....just since Wednesday, we have nightly meetings in our village hall, so that we can be updated by the various services as to what's new. Wednesday's first meeting degenerated pretty rapidly due to people at one end of the village saying that the "posh" people at the other end got their sandbags etc. first.

Flooding, wherever it happens, is an equal-opportunities destroyer. It takes no account of how much you've got in the bank, whether you've got a good job or where you live. Don't forget that it takes the average film crew and reporter about half an hour to get here from their London HQ. They can do a piece to camera and be back home in time for tea.

Anyone who has been flooded will tell you that they'd rather have had neither the publicity nor the floods, but having seen at first hand just how much goes on off-camera, it's clear to me that most of the agencies involved are, despite media insistence to the contrary, working round the clock to do their utmost to help. And, when stuff IS on the telly, it often has very little to do with the truth or reality.

To be honest, and I've had quite a laugh along with all of you, which has helped enormously to keep me sane over the last 5 days, I'd sooner NOT see our village on TV every night. Being "forgotten" is largely about a perception simply controlled by media hype. On the ground, the people who really count are busy working their socks, and boots, and waders off to try and help. THAT is what counts, not what people in other parts of the country think of us, our perceived disposable income, or our reckless choice of location for our homes. And having some sort of "contest" about whether the Thames valley is getting more media coverage than Sheffield or anywhere else on the basis that there are more Tories or more wealthy homeowners is just a little bit beside the point, to me at least. What the media portray, what people choose to see or believe, is irrelevant to someone whose entire life is sunk under a few feet of polluted water. And anyone who seriously believes that less effort is put into any area for silly reasons like its demographic or its proximity to London has been sucked in by the media hype. Come and walk round my neck of the woods and watch adults sobbing openly with sadness and frustration as they try to salvage what they can of their lives, and tell me that because they live in the South East or on a flood plain (the majority in houses that have stood firm and untouched by water for between 60 and 150 years) and then see if you still want to suggest that we're receiving special treatment we don't deserve.

Betty,

Firstly, thanks for the up to date news of Slough - what a shame - it really was not a bad place when I was there, and I had lots of friends in Windsor  (I once sang with in the Am Drams there, in front of the Queen Mum - happy days),  but it's sad to see what "progress" has done to a town which didn't deserve it's notoriety -  not the A4 slap bang through it's middle.

As for being flooded - I can sympathise again entirely.  We were flooded in our house in France, 3 weeks after we moved in, though I was back in the UK, working, leaving hubby to cope on his own.  You can imagine where all the boxes still were, almost all unpacked - can't you?  As you say, everyone is affected, rich or poor, French or English (in our case).  The stress, pain, shock and worry are all the same, only the degree is different depending on how long it lasts, how high it comes up, and what the authorities do about it.

Here in France rather unexpectedly, they seem to have learnt (some) lessons, whilst in the UK, it does seem to me that whatever crisis happens (foot and mouth springs to mind, I was involved in that one too), the authorities react too late and do not learn from previous events. 

I do hope that you continue to stay dry, and glad that this forum has helped to keep you sane.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]It goes deeper....just since Wednesday, we have nightly meetings in our village hall, so that we can be updated by the various services as to what's new. Wednesday's first meeting degenerated pretty rapidly due to people at one end of the village saying that the "posh" people at the other end got their sandbags etc. first.

Flooding, wherever it happens, is an equal-opportunities destroyer. It takes no account of how much you've got in the bank, whether you've got a good job or where you live. Don't forget that it takes the average film crew and reporter about half an hour to get here from their London HQ. They can do a piece to camera and be back home in time for tea.

Anyone who has been flooded will tell you that they'd rather have had neither the publicity nor the floods, but having seen at first hand just how much goes on off-camera, it's clear to me that most of the agencies involved are, despite media insistence to the contrary, working round the clock to do their utmost to help. And, when stuff IS on the telly, it often has very little to do with the truth or reality.

To be honest, and I've had quite a laugh along with all of you, which has helped enormously to keep me sane over the last 5 days, I'd sooner NOT see our village on TV every night. Being "forgotten" is largely about a perception simply controlled by media hype. On the ground, the people who really count are busy working their socks, and boots, and waders off to try and help. THAT is what counts, not what people in other parts of the country think of us, our perceived disposable income, or our reckless choice of location for our homes. And having some sort of "contest" about whether the Thames valley is getting more media coverage than Sheffield or anywhere else on the basis that there are more Tories or more wealthy homeowners is just a little bit beside the point, to me at least. What the media portray, what people choose to see or believe, is irrelevant to someone whose entire life is sunk under a few feet of polluted water. And anyone who seriously believes that less effort is put into any area for silly reasons like its demographic or its proximity to London has been sucked in by the media hype. Come and walk round my neck of the woods and watch adults sobbing openly with sadness and frustration as they try to salvage what they can of their lives, and tell me that because they live in the South East or on a flood plain (the majority in houses that have stood firm and untouched by water for between 60 and 150 years) and then see if you still want to suggest that we're receiving special treatment we don't deserve.

[/quote]

This kind of crisis seems always to bring out the best and the worst in people. I have to admit almost being moved to tears by the generosity of people who have come from far away to help in whatever way they can. On the other side there are those who want to apportion blame for everything on to any of the services who are swamped  by an event they were wholly unprepared for. (Would that we could see into the future.) And then the "envy contingent" who see everyone else being given more than them, and spend their time complaining that they are not being put first.

Of course it's easy for me outside of the situation, to make judgements, in fact I feel so sorry for all those either flooded or in danger of flooding, but I truly admire the pragmatism and acceptance of people right in the middle of their own personal nightmare, and I wish you all well, and if necessary, a fantastic insurance company.

My daughter is still on flood alert, but thank heaven, so far there is no escalation of the risk at present.

I had been thinking about a suitable post earlier today, but then the evening overtook.

Whilst I can understand Norman's point, Betty's post sums it up entirely.

Doesn't matter where it happened in the past, nor where it's happening now ......... Things will never be the same from now on.

In a way, (bad though it is) the very fact of devastating floods on Parliament's doorstep will galvanise thinking.

I have every sympathy Betty. The reality is always that people will look to see if others have (apparently) been treated better.

I saw today somewhere (and to my shame I cannot say where) where the "authorities" had decided to build a flood defence along a road. One side would be hopefully safe, the other abandoned. While I feel deeply for the anguish of those abandoned, they had to place the line somewhere.

Thanks, RH, we're warm at least. dry is outside our control, but we've been advised that the levels of water should continue to fall over the next 3-4 days, and here's hoping that's true.

Meanwhile, there are still soldiers all over the place 24 hours a day, getting thoroughly soaked and the majority still without a decent pair of wellies between them, although I noticed that the bunch who were building a dam with the royals did seem to have got hold of some waders.

Just FYI (and I'm so not a royalist)... Princes W&H apparently put in a shift of several hours with the Household Cavalry, building 2 or 3 sandbag dams which, as the waters have receded, should prevent the majority of further ingress from the three major areas which have been responsible for the floods in our village. Nobody knew they were coming till they arrived, and they apparently got stuck in and worked, largely without the intervention or presence of the media, who didn't arrive till they'd already been hard at work for several hours. So hats off to them, and maybe it's a lesson that some of the politicians could learn from them.

Some of you may have seen Longridge at Marlow on the news tonight...( they are situated at the foot of the woods said to be the inspiration for 'the wild wood' in the Wind in the Willows' ). They are a charity who provide 'outward bound' activities for children of all abilities....they have pretty much lost everything ..after only refurbishing last year., they have no insurance and they are broke...there's a whole list of stuff they need on their web site: http://www.longridge.org.uk/news.

I know there are lots of deserving cases, but this really touched my heart.

Betty, I thought your post was excellent. It's good to hear first hand about the work that's going on. I've heard several broadcasters trying to apportion blame, but now just isn't the time. It's been dreadful hearing about looters, but heart-warming to know that many people have volunteered help in person and in donating things that are needed.

All of us are hoping you'll not have the sort of anguish so many have been feeling - it must be bad enough to be constantly wondering if your house is going to flood and I can't even begin to imagine how it must feel to be flooded.

Russethouse, I knew Sonning Bridge had been closed, but not that things had been so bad that it would be closed for a long period. Maybe Oxfordshire will start to consider a third crossing at long last. That crash at Purley was terrible - I hadn't heard of that. Purley has also suffered a lot of floods over the years and it's bad there now; I've several friends living there, with one living safely away from flooding at Beech Road, others much closer to the Thames.

Edit: RH, I've somehow missed out on Longridge news. Our sons did a lot of canoeing there over the years, and one was a scout leader for a number of years, and took his sea scout troop there, did training for World Jamborees there too. A lot of good work with young people has gone on there for many years. Very sad. This is going to be a bad year for so many people around the country because of the weather - let's hope people will continue to pull together to help out.

[quote user="andyh4"]I have every sympathy Betty. The reality is always that people will look to see if others have (apparently) been treated better.

I saw today somewhere (and to my shame I cannot say where) where the "authorities" had decided to build a flood defence along a road. One side would be hopefully safe, the other abandoned. While I feel deeply for the anguish of those abandoned, they had to place the line somewhere.[/quote]

Chertsey. They're having to sacrifice the safety of about 10 houses to prevent over a hundred others from flooding.

There's a similar situation just round the corner from us, in the area which was very first shown on the TV on Sunday night, when this whole sorry mess first hit the news. There's an eight foot high Victorian brick wall surrounding a 1970's house, which is empty (and to let, and completely flooded out). The house stands alongside a man-made inlet which leads to some sort of small pumping station, belonging to Thames Water, There's a metal grille in the wall and, of course, water was pouring out of it, and the army sandbagged the grille to prevent the water flowing out. However, that wall has been holding back tonnes of water as the levels crept higher, and the lie of the road, coupled with the age and condition of the wall, means that if anything were to "give", then a whole road of houses will be flooded in seconds. As things stand, there are tonnes of sandbags holding back the flood and holding up the wall(they've actually given up on the tiny ones and are using the massive square bags of builders' sand that you usually see in builders' merchants). The vacant house has already gone under, and essentially it was decided that - especially as it's unoccupied - they'd block all the water off and let it flood in order to protect the road of houses opposite. However, water was still trickling out between the stress cracks in the old wall, behind which the water level has been steadily rising.

Another wall of sandbags lines the opposite side of the road, to protect the houses directly in line of that flood, should the wall give way.

And, do you know what? A CCTV camera has had to be set up there, and a number of people have been caught on camera, stopping their cars as they drive past, and helping themselves to the sandbags.

Bonjour Betty

Good to see you on here this morning and thanks for all the updates.

Sunny today but still windy here in Surrey though last night the wind seemed to howl all night long!

I read that several people have been killed overnight. In London  parts of a  falling building fell on a car. A cruise ship heading home to Tilbury was hit by a freak wave, passengers injured, one died some had to be airlifted off. South coast also hit hard and people in a restaurant had to be rescued by the military when rocks hit the window and broke the glass.

It was definitely not the night to go out for a romantic dinner!

Russet,

Don't get me wrong, sanglier is quite tasty.

It's nice to see people taking advantage of a bad situation by stealing sandbags and selling them. I thought Brits were better than that. But then, there was Joe Walker on Dad's Army...

David

We've had two "incidents" since the start of the floods, according to our daily update from the police. In one, a journalist left his car unlocked and unattended with loads of hardware and computer stuff on the back seat, and someone stole his laptop, and in the other, a canoe was stolen from outside the coffee shop, which turned up at the other end of the village, where three kids had left it when they'd finished "borrowing" it to get home.

Apart from that and the sandbag looters, no crime at all. Which, harking back to the period before all this happened, is about the same as usual.

[quote user="dwmcn"]

It's nice to see people taking advantage of a bad situation by stealing sandbags and selling them. I thought Brits were better than that. But then, there was Joe Walker on Dad's Army...

David

[/quote]Mind you, he was pretty low key compared to Al Capone and other US mobsters[:D]