Insect repellent, after-bite remedies, please advise

mint

Please tell me everything you know about such matters.

For the repellents, please give me information on natural remedies as I have very sensitive skin and not all repellents will suit.  Often, the effects of the repellents are worse than the stings.

Then, I need to know what to use to ease the effects AFTER I have been stung.

All advice will be seriously considered and will be greatly appreciated.  I don't want my epitaph to say Died in Agony from Insect Bites (too funny and the stone mason might refuse to carve it).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like youSweets I suffer terribly from insect bites. At one point a couple of years ago my OH wouldn't walk down the street with me because it looked as though I'd been beaten about the face !

The most helpful after bite thing I've found is Butix from the pharmacie.

For a repellent I use Autun, I couldn't say I like it, but it does seem to work a bit.

I know these aren't the natual remedies you asked for - they are what I've found suit me best.

Generally I find that I can cope during the day it's the things that bite in the night that are the worst.

Solicitations.

Hoddy

Sweet17 I can  back up Rh's advice, I was always very susceptible to insect bites and suffered badly. I was sent to work on a project in Scotland and was dreading the midges, so I approached the company medical department and was advised to take vitamin B tablets for at least two weeks before going and during the trip to Scotland. These worked a treat. Couple of years later  another Scotland trip came up and I was actually supplied the Avon so soft product, I used this but still took the Vit B, good result for me, no bites. 

Sweets, I agree with RH, the Avon products are good and contain lemon grass which the bugs don't like, they discovered this from the armed forces in the jungle. Problem is  the effect doesn't last long 1/2 hour or so.

Quinine in bitter lemon and tonic waters is also good, not sure it would go with the marmite in the bath though.[+o(]

DEET based products are the best but can cause their own skin irritation after a while

Vitamin B12 taken at least 2 weeks before helps during the day, for the little blighters during the night I put a capful of TCP in a saucer in the bedroom, they HATE the smell, MOH isn't keen either....... helps with the other annoying bites..............[:-))]

Jo, ordering the Vit B12 on line.

RH, thanks for that link:  very interesting and, to be on the safe side, I now will take:

skin so soft bath oil

vanilla extract

garlic cloves

tea tree oil

Vicks vapour rub

Any more suggestions, anyone, please?

I find Onctose cream soothing - from the pharmacie.

I admit to pricking the centre of the insect bite with a sterilised pin . this works well (for me) with aoutat bites. But they haven't started yet [blink]

Sweet, so sorry to read of your problem; and the prospect of many more weeks of bites is terrible!. I’m a midge/mozzie god too, so I’ve tried many of these; however, what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for others. Those of us who are sweatier mortals seem to suffer more – not saying you are sweaty – just an observation!  [:D]

*Wear long-sleeved shirts and trousers as much as possible (a bit of a bind at times, and still leaves plenty of other ‘bits’ for them to get at!

*Take anti-histamines before and during the trip (I take these year-round for rhinitis anyway, but doesn’t help; or maybe it does, and I’d have even worse problems following bites!)

*Avoid sitting outside morning and evening.

*Garlic tablets

*Skin So Soft (Found I was passing this round to people on our trip to India, and my niece used to send it out to a friend who lives in a tropical area)

*Citronella; (sometimes needs refreshing after 30 – 60 minutes; roll on form useful for this)

*Lemon eucalyptus

*Citronella candles in the evenings

*Mozzie coils in your room in the evenings while you’re outside (keep windows shut before, during and after use; smell isn’t pleasant)

*Electric plug-ins

*Neem oil; this now comes in various forms (also good against nit infestations)

*Avoid perfumes; including hairspray, deodorant etc)

*’Repel’ citronella/eucalyptus

* High frequency emitters – haven’t tried these, but I’ve read about them

* Vitamin B1; this contains thiamine, which can be an irritant to mozzies. However, I understand that long-term use can upset your mineral balance. The effect of B1 can be lessened by taking alcohol.

* Smoking – pipes and cigars in particular.

* The daughter of someone I know finds Tropical Strength Jungle Formula very effective, even though she has very sensitive skin, and had nasty rashes with other available products.

After bites:

* I find ‘clickers’ from outdoor shops and Boots very effective at taking the itch and sting out of bites. If you can get the number of bites down using some of the above remedies, it’s easily used; too many and you can’t cope with it. OH didn’t believe it would work, but even he has used them and found it helped! I click away for long periods when bitten, and find them very effective.

* Dab with vinegar – I’ve never tried it, as I don’t want to smell like a fish and chip shop!

* Rub with the inside of a banana skin; I haven’t tried this one either; even if it works, it might attract other types of flies!

Good luck, Sweet!  [:)]

It's already been mentioned, and I am no expert as I don't have such dramatic reactions, but find that vinegar (of any kind: white, wine, cider) works well when applied straight, immediately you discover the bite, before you have time to start scratching.

Years ago I bought from Nelson (homeopathics), a little vial called Pyrethrum applicator. It is also very good after a sting. The active ingredients are: Alcoholic tincture of Hypericum, Echinacea, Calendula, Arnica, Rumex, Ledum, and finally Pyrethrum.

Good luck Sweet!

[quote user="gardengirl "]

Sweet, so sorry to read of your problem; and the prospect of many more weeks of bites is terrible!. I’m a midge/mozzie god too, so I’ve tried many of these; however, what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for others. Those of us who are sweatier mortals seem to suffer more – not saying you are sweaty – just an observation!  [:D]

*Wear long-sleeved shirts and trousers as much as possible (a bit of a bind at times, and still leaves plenty of other ‘bits’ for them to get at!

*Take anti-histamines before and during the trip (I take these year-round for rhinitis anyway, but doesn’t help; or maybe it does, and I’d have even worse problems following bites!)

*Avoid sitting outside morning and evening.

*Garlic tablets

*Skin So Soft (Found I was passing this round to people on our trip to India, and my niece used to send it out to a friend who lives in a tropical area)

*Citronella; (sometimes needs refreshing after 30 – 60 minutes; roll on form useful for this)

*Lemon eucalyptus

*Citronella candles in the evenings

*Mozzie coils in your room in the evenings while you’re outside (keep windows shut before, during and after use; smell isn’t pleasant)

*Electric plug-ins

*Neem oil; this now comes in various forms (also good against nit infestations)

*Avoid perfumes; including hairspray, deodorant etc)

*’Repel’ citronella/eucalyptus

* High frequency emitters – haven’t tried these, but I’ve read about them

* Vitamin B1; this contains thiamine, which can be an irritant to mozzies. However, I understand that long-term use can upset your mineral balance. The effect of B1 can be lessened by taking alcohol.

* Smoking – pipes and cigars in particular.

* The daughter of someone I know finds Tropical Strength Jungle Formula very effective, even though she has very sensitive skin, and had nasty rashes with other available products.

After bites:

* I find ‘clickers’ from outdoor shops and Boots very effective at taking the itch and sting out of bites. If you can get the number of bites down using some of the above remedies, it’s easily used; too many and you can’t cope with it. OH didn’t believe it would work, but even he has used them and found it helped! I click away for long periods when bitten, and find them very effective.

* Dab with vinegar – I’ve never tried it, as I don’t want to smell like a fish and chip shop!

* Rub with the inside of a banana skin; I haven’t tried this one either; even if it works, it might attract other types of flies!

Good luck, Sweet!  [:)]

[/quote]

Garden Girl all those remedies will weigh more than Sweet and her rucksack combined[:-))] But at least she won't be scratching!

I suffer badly from mosquito bites.  I am like a pin cushion at the moment.

Avon So Soft has not worked for me.  In fact, it did the opposite and after an application of it, I was bitten very badly indeed.

I close all windows and doors at about 4ish in the afternoon and plug in anti-mosquito lamps in the house.  I do not sit outside.

If I am forced to sit outside e.g. at friends' houses, I wear long-sleeved and long-legged things and tap my feet and legs under the table.  Mosquitos don't seem to land on moving objects.

After being bitten, I apply bite cream from Boots etc immediately and have tubes of the stuff by my bed (for the early morning waking up feeling when you itch like mad), in my handbag, in the car etc.  I try, try, try not to scratch because it only makes the bites worse and then you have the scabs on your arms, legs, torso etc - yuk.

I thought that mosquitos were only in the countryside but I recently had to spend a few nights in hospital with one of my children in central Bordeaux and the mosquitos in the hospital were awful - tons of them and no respite as the windows of the hospital had to be kept open to cool down the place.

Good luck Sweets.  Funny how some people get bitten and others don't.  Three of my children have almost never been bitten in the all the time that we have been in France.

We must be lucky because we hardly ever seen any mozzies around here and we can leave windows open at night without having to take any precautions.

I'm not saying we don't get bitten by other beasties because we do but it is generally during gardening and living surrounded by woods we do get horseflies.

Just as well as I am an Olympic class scratcher as the hundreds of scars on my shins are testament to, I tell people that they are shrapnel wounds back from my time in the SAS, shhhhhh [;-)]

I've been doing battle with mozzies for many years.

I've tried everything from citronella candles to mystical herbal repellents.

My extensive research on the matter leads me to the deeply scientific conclusion that the only thing that has any effect whatsoever is anything with 50% DEET in it.

As for the odd one that gets me after this treatment, I find a sticking plaster over the bump is the most effective post-hit remedy..

Well, Gemonimo, it was just a menu - she doesn't have to cart the whole kitchen around on her back! Seriously, I do hope she finds something(s) to suit - it really is grim when you're a mozzie-god! [:)]

Sweet did ask for remedies which would be good for sensitive skin - so I mentioned little to do with DEET products; they are supposed to be very effective around the world, and can be used on clothing etc. However, I'm very wary of the effects it can have. I understand it can be bought at 20% levels, although I've heard of 80% at Milford Sound in NZ. Luckily, it was raining so heavily during the whole of our visit there we never saw or heard  anything with wings! Mind you, we didn't see much at all apart from rain and waterfalls! [:D]

DEET is found in a huge number of insect repellants so shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. It certainly works and is worth a trial.

Mrs B bought some Insect Repellant wipes from Boots and says that they are very effective. She, like many women, is a bit of a 'mossy magnet'.

Sweet, HERE is something to allow you to get your own back. [:D]