Using a U.K. registered vehicle in France

SMT

My first post here, so firstly just wanted to say hello! I have been looking through previous posts regarding my questions, but am still a little unclear on some.

We are more than likely going to be moving to the Langduoc region within the next 6 months. We are in the process of selling our 'main' cars and have bought a cheaper run around to keep us going until we actually move. We will most likely drive this car to France and use it until the MOT runs out and then sell it on for spares or repair and buy a Left Hand Drive car in France.

How long can you legally drive a U.K. registered car in France for before it needs to be re-registered in France? Also with regards to U.K. insurance, I assume (as my insurer covers France) that I can leave the car insured and taxed in the U.K. whilst using it in France? Also is it difficult to sell on or scrap a U.K. registered car in France?

Thanks for your help

Simon & Ruby

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chez, perhaps they don't know how to use the search function being a first time poster. Not only that but the search function is not the best in the world.

SMT, If you are moving to France and already have a house then you need to register it in France. If you are visiting for an extended stay and have a proper address in the UK where you are still resident then you can find a UK insurer that will give you unlimited usage within the EU. You should not use the latter to get round registering your car in France if you are resident there.

To find out how to register a car in France use the following link http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/684121/ShowPost.aspx To be honest for grief involved I would just move over and buy a French car immediately and return the old one to the UK that way you know you are 100% legal.

Thanks for the welcome.

ChezStevens, I did say in my original post that... "I have been looking through previous posts regarding my questions, but am still a little unclear on some."

Quillan, I think you have answered my question. I will still have a legitimate U.K. address and my insurer will cover me for extended stays in Europe, so I guess I will go down that route until we purchase a LHD car in France.

Thanks - Simon & Ruby

[quote user="SMT"]

Thanks for the welcome.

[/quote]

Yes, sorry about that, welcome. I was in a hurry and just wanted to point you in the right direction. Don't be put off, I hope you find the forum interesting and I am sure that once you get to know people you will find it a warm place to ask questions.

The problem is that many old hands tend to see the same questions asked time after time. Perhaps they forget that the system deletes them sometimes when disk space is at a premium and also the search facility is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Unfortunately there is little to do about the latter so you will have to do your best. You might also look at the top of each section where we try and put FAQ's for people to spot right away.

Enjoy

'Ere Quillan, I did say hello!

Just one thing, SMT, you might want to check with your UK insurer just to be certain whether or not they need to be notified if the car is going abroad for a long period (assuming you haven't already, of course).  Some still require to be told, and have time limits.  Also, beware if you decide to let your UK home some time in the future as you then may have problems persuading anybody that you live there.  The same applies once you transfer all your health and tax liabilities over here (you need to fill in your first French tax return in the Spring following your arrival.) In summary, once your French home stops being your holiday home and becomes your residence, then you need to be in all the French systems.  Hopefully by then you'll have your French car and so you'll be fine.

Can I just add that if you are moving to France and intend to stay there, you cannot still have a legitimate address in the UK for car insurance or any other purposes, and as such Cooperlola's point re the insurance should be taken seriously.   Yes you can get 90 day cover with UK insurers but that is only while you still live in the UK, but if you move here that will not be the case will it?

Also I don't understand why you are going to use the car until the MOT runs out.  If you live in France the MOT is irrelevant, as a French resident you must have the car French legal , CT and French insurance, although many seem to think they can, you cannot mix and match, a car is eithr either UK legal or French legal.  You may be able to get insurance on the basis of a UK address but do you really want to risk a non payout on an accident if the truth comes out?

[quote user="SMT"]

Thanks for the welcome.

ChezStevens, I did say in my original post that... "I have been looking through previous posts regarding my questions, but am still a little unclear on some."

Quillan, I think you have answered my question. I will still have a legitimate U.K. address and my insurer will cover me for extended stays in Europe, so I guess I will go down that route until we purchase a LHD car in France.

Thanks - Simon & Ruby

[/quote]

If you are moving here you can keep your car for a very limited time on UK plates, normally 30 days - otherwise you are not insured.  You will become, intentionally or not, another illegal car on the road bringing our collective reputations into disrepute.  As I said, and repeat, use the search facility - it has lots of useful information and saves the regular posters having to repeat themselves time and time ...........

IF YOU USE THE SEARCH FACILITY YOU WILL SEE HOW EMOTIVE THIS SUBJECT IS.

I take on board all your comments and wouldn't want to upset anyone, but where is the line between being on a long holiday and becoming a resident? Neither of us will be working in France, so we could (or will be on) just for arguements sake a 5 year holiday!

I really don't think you should do that. The problem comes if you have an accident and the UK insurers will look in to matters and won't pay out. OK for 3 or 4 months but longer than that you are really pushing your luck. We know there are people out there that do what you have suggested or have gone half way to registering their car i.e. got a CT and French insurance but still on UK plates. Seems OK till they run one of your children or your partner over and then they are not technically insured and only have 10 Euros in the bank.

I very strongly recommend that you consider using the car to get here, buy a French car and return the old one back to the UK if you intend being  resident here. Not only is it the legal way of doing things its the morally right one as well and believe me you will sleep better at night.

[quote user="SMT"]I take on board all your comments and wouldn't want to upset anyone, but where is the line between being on a long holiday and becoming a resident? Neither of us will be working in France, so we could (or will be on) just for arguements sake a 5 year holiday![/quote]

Another chancer.  As discussed.  Looser that will again cause problems for the geniune individual that will obey the rules.  Sorry guys but I spotted him first. T****r that needs to be reported soonest.

[quote user="Chezstevens"]

[quote user="SMT"]I take on board all your comments and wouldn't want to upset anyone, but where is the line between being on a long holiday and becoming a resident? Neither of us will be working in France, so we could (or will be on) just for arguements sake a 5 year holiday![/quote]

Another chancer.  As discussed.  Looser that will again cause problems for the geniune individual that will obey the rules.  Sorry guys but I spotted him first. T****r that needs to be reported soonest.

[/quote]

Not sure what your problem is, but anyway being new to this I wanted to investigate all the possibilities before making a decision on what to do. I don't do anything illegal.

P.S. There is only one 'o' in loser.

I think you are on thin ice here Chez as you were the one who was rude first. SMT is not intimidating you, just questioning if something is missing in your life to make you so abusive.

SMT, this forum is a useful tool but if you ask a question, no matter if it is innocent or not, that other people take to mean you are trying to buck the rules you will receive unpleasant replies. It's a shame but that is how it is. There are certain posters (eg SD) who will usually give very accurate advice without the finger wagging but some people immediately jump all over you accusing you of the henious crimes that you are obviously wanting to commit.

I know other forums on other subjects are great places to stumble on and ask any type of question you like and usually receive the information you require without anyone calling you a loser. On this forum it is quite different, before you ask a question do as much research as you can using the search function, as there are many long term posters here who get sick of seeing the same thing asked again and again, and I don't blame them, but instead of ignoring the post they unleash the fury !!!!!!

[quote user="raindog"][quote user="Chezstevens"]No. Read previous posts.  I know it is difficult but click on the top right of the screen under search.  Personally I am bored with chancers and will report them in our part of Dept 79.[/quote]

nice guy......

[/quote]

I must be a nice guy too.

I will also report anyone who cannot be bothered to comply with the laws of the land that I have chosen to live in. I don't see why a few people should tarnish us all with the same brush.

This subject always gets hackles raised, and sometimes posting on threads like these is a bit like hitting a wasps nest with a big stick

As Coops posted, some information can be found here http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/684121/ShowPost.aspx

There is also more information here http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/993640/ShowPost.aspx

Or for a whole string of stuff, try this http://www.completefrance.com/cs/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=register%20car%20uk%20address&f=&u=&PageIndex=2

There are no new arguments, they have all been made before, several times. Anyone wanting to post on this thread, please try to remain civil, it costs nothing.  Insults are unnecessary, and add nothing of value to the debate.

I really don't want to have to start editing or removing posts [:(]