Using a U.K. registered vehicle in France

SMT

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bigears, I'm not sure if I have missed something but a quote from you :-

"The other mainstream companies seem to have a similar  policy.  This has actually taken me by surprise, I cannot understand the logic in it.  I must again emphasize this does not affect me as I am resident in the uk.  Where are you people who are saying the opposite getting your information from?"

But just above that in the same post you said

"hi
before I go for a quote on line, can you tell me if your normal car policy will cover me. I am a uk national, I live between france and the uk. I have a house in both countries. I want to keep a uk registered car at my uk address and use the cheap airlines for travel backwards and forwards to the uk, rather than cross the channel in my french reg car. For tax purposes I am resident in france as I spend a little more of the year in france. Can you cover me?"

I am a little confused as to how you can be a tax resident here in France and be  U.K. resident as well. Is there something in he system that I have missed please [8-)]? Honest, I am not trying to pick fault, just confused!!

Many thanks Cooperlola

I will try to get an email off to him this week, with a comrehensive description of my situation and will report back.

I will also try to find a contact at the Association of British Insurers and ask them, seeing as it was their remark that started this food fight.

hi

jonzjob, don't worry I'm loosing it also.  I've just opened my mouth and a crown has dropped out.  I suppose it will be another 20 euros to have it glued in again.  Both uk and french dentists seem incapable of permanently fixing it in.  Just found a car on ebay to keep at uk address, we are just working out the annual costs to see if its a goer. 

• 3 months later...

Any way I think the whole situation has got out of control, I have no doubt that even those who think they are all goody goody have broken the alleged laws they are preaching to you all.

However I am not a UK resident or a French resident, yet I legally own a car in both countries, the insurance is legal in both countries, I pay road tax in both countries, it is so simple, just do your home and own work, it is pointless listening to people who just want to score points , thinking they know all the law.

Old news, last paper to publish it had to withdraw it because it was wrong. WHEN somebody can direct me to the Dicret in French law that says this THEN I will believe it and I strongly suggest others do the same. You can also ask the DVLA about the MOT and Tax and they will tell you that the article is wrong. Don't argue (if your thinking about it) just phone them yourself.