So important ladies can drive .

Frederick

Once again this week I have been in conversation with a lady who does not drive and there is a car in the garage . I so often come in contact with the situation where the husband years older than his wife has developed a medical condition meaning he will not again drive . The storey I get is always " My husband never wanted me to drive HIS car " Big mistake guys . When it happens you will see your car sold off cheap or given to one of the family members and you will be stuck in some village with huge transport problems .

I believe all wives should drive and husbands should not be so posessive when it comes to who drives his car .Its a mistake not to teach your wife to drive .

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Frederick"]Once again this week I have been in conversation with a lady who does not drive and there is a car in the garage . I so often come in contact with the situation where the husband years older than his wife has developed a medical condition meaning he will not again drive . The storey I get is always " My husband never wanted me to drive HIS car " Big mistake guys . When it happens you will see your car sold off cheap or given to one of the family members and you will be stuck in some village with huge transport problems . I believe all wives should drive and husbands should not be so posessive when it comes to who drives his car .Its a mistake not to teach your wife to drive .[/quote]

Totally agree, with one proviso...........dont teach your wife to drive, get someone else, too much risk of marital upset.  [:P]

"Teach your wife to drive"???????

No way would I want my OH to "teach" me to drive!!! Actually I have been driving perfectly fine for nearly 30 years and he still insists on giving me unwanted tips and advice whenever I happen to be in the driving seat.

Which raises the question :-

How come when buying a used car do people make a big deal in actively searching for the vehicle owned by "One Careful Lady Driver". Strange that.

Time for some balance here..... I'm not the only woman I know who got a driving licence before her OH and then had to lend him her car so he could practise for his test. What really infuraited me was that putting him on my insurance cost me A LOT of money as he was a journalist at the time.

Secondly, I don't know any women under 60 who don't drive (except young friends saving hard for lessons).

Thirdly, nearly all the women I know share the driving to parties etc with their OHs. The OH drives there and the woman drives home. Certainly a much better idea in rural France where men's glasses are so often automatically topped up and 02V added to their coffee.

Fourthly, I do know a few men who don't like their partners driving, they see it as 'their' role: but in these cases their partners are also male.

[quote user="DavyH"]We have a similar agreement - I drive there and Mrs H drives home ;)
[/quote]Aha!  Chez nous, I drink, he drives.  Perfect.

I cannot imagine not being able to drive, it is one of the most liberating things you can do imo.  But I couldn't share a car with my o/h as he always moans that mine is like a junk shop.

[quote user="Cathy"]

Really important ladies, like Baroness Thatcher, would get men to drive them around.

[/quote]I don't think I'd like that either.  I currently have to endure ambulance drivers all the time and I detest it - I'd far rather drive myself; I just hate being driven (especially slowly and  badly.)

[quote user="Anton Redman"]When I lived near London was always amused by husbands driving car to station  only to have the wife get out of the car and move to the driving seat to take the car home.[/quote]

They still do it today Anton, and actually hear them moan about moving the seat [:D]

I am meeting a lot of ladies in their late 50's early 60,s fit active with husbands much older retired . These ladies are capable of taking driving lessons now and many can see the sense in doing it ...But ..husband wont let them touch his car . This afternoon I took a lady about 55 to visit her husband in hospital, she does not drive . Her usual driver at this difficult time for her is her mother who is about 80...how sad is that .

We have a car each - his is the one with all the rubbish and fag ash in, mine is the smart (and bigger!) one - the one that he's not allowed to smoke in and the dog is not allowed to ride in. [:)] So his is the one we took today to buy the Christmas tree because I don't want pine needles in my car!! [:)] ( In spite of my user name I am female! )

Seriously though I agree with the OP that women should keep up their driving, with so many couples living in rural areas it is very difficult if only the man drives.

[quote user="Frederick"]I am meeting a lot of ladies in their late 50's

early 60,s fit active with husbands much older retired .[/quote]

So are these ladies married to older men with dosh and can afford a chauffeur (are you staff)?

Or otherwise what sort of women are they?

Where did they grow up?

And why are you meeting them? And where?!!! The Vendée must be a funny old place, Dorest ladies tend to be made of sterner stuff

I suspect a Channel 4 documentary team could be interested in this rare species of woman you are meeting, it's fascinating/bizarre stuff. No doubt AnOther will be along soon, to add his views.....

[quote user="NormanH"]Don't live in a village, and don't be part of the car-dependant culture.

[/quote]

I have no wish to live in a town and I'm in the process of teaching one of my donkeys to pull a little cart so I'll be able to drive to the local village in a more eco-friendly way.[:)] 

Polly .. I am just one of many volunteer drivers who give their time and use of their family car to take people in their communities to appointments in hospitals. These people be it in France or the UK find themselves in a position where thay are unable to attend out patient appointements as they are unable to get there under their own steam , They do not have people they can call on to take them ...Volunteers are always needed . I happen to give 24 hours a week of my time anyone retired who feels they could do the same I am sure would be made very welcome . My neighbor in the Vendee uses a volunteer service to go to the Super U once a week as he is elderly and lives alone . In the UK similar arrangements apply