Pound BELOW parity?

NormanH

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="ErnieY"]£ currently nudging 1.1275, I can hardly contain myself [:'(]

[/quote]

Whoopee, at this rate I'll soon be worth more than JMB..................................but I won't, of course, be vulgar enough to brag about it [8-|]

[:D][:D]

I know I am a cynic, but I find it  a little frustrating that there has been no mention in news bulletins of the improvement of the £ to the € When it was on the slide, we were hearing it from all directions.Seems only to be on teletext. I hope travellers are watching, and will want to holiday here.

I think a lot of the fx dealers who offer fixed monthly payments for the next 12 months / 2 years buy at the spot rate and charge you interest for holding the money for you.  So you actually end up buying at less than the spot rate.

p.s. Bugsy - I think there is a pic on the www link...

[quote user="Jazzer"]I know I am a cynic, but I find it  a little frustrating that there has been no mention in news bulletins of the improvement of the £ to the € When it was on the slide, we were hearing it from all directions.Seems only to be on teletext. I hope travellers are watching, and will want to holiday here.[/quote]

Exactly Jazzer - the media loves bad news - sells sooo much better than good news!

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="WJT"]Shame that isn't the case because I would like to buy at around 1.67 instead of the current 1.10. So if anyone knows different to Ernie and Inceni please let me know. I can move quite quickly. [:)][/quote]

I'll be happy to acommodate your request at that rate.

Just send your £'s to my normal address c/o Nigerian Consulate, 85000 La Roche sur Yon. Be careful to mark the package for my attention.  [:D]

[/quote]

OK Benjamin will do. I will get right onto that but will of course need all of your bank details, pin number, Mothers maiden name etc.. [:D]

NormanH, I too know what you mean and as Ernie said our income is earned in sterling so the crash of the sterling has had a major impact on us just like many others here. Fingers crossed that Benjamin will come through though with that 1.67 exchange rate. [:D]

The UK pound needs sensible and intelligent macro and micro economic management to improve its strength on the financial markets.   The financial markets have no confidence in the UK pound.

Sadly, we've got incompetent government as well as too much spin and no substance.   And this is not new either, we're had it for a decade or so.  Typical !

Tegwini  

It is not only the british pensioner who is losing out over the diminishing pound. Spare a thought for the poor old premiership player from the euro zone. His £100,000 per week from Manu or where ever was worth €150,000 not too long ago and now it's only worth a staggering €110,000 thats a  loss of €40,000 every single week.

Hold on a minute Benjamine, lets quote the information correctly regarding the Australian 'Pensioners Bonus'.

The term 'Pensioner' is often misquoted in Australia. People who qualified to receive this Bonus had to be of pensionable age and registered with Centrelink,the Federal Assistance Agency.

To be registered with the Agency each person or couple have to be 'means tested' annually. To qualify for an Aged Pension, combined assets have to be below a determined threshold. Above the threshold you are classified as (a)  'Self Funded Retiree(s)' - no aged pension, no health benefits, no travel allowances, no services discounts (rates,Gas,electricity,telephone etc.), no winter fuel allowance, no CPI assessments.

The Christmas Bonus was a one off payment in Lieu of an increase in the Age Pension due to Federal Budget constraints with an increase promised in Fiscal 2009

Not every 'Pensioner' in Australia received the Bonus. Those that did would no doubt be spending on bills unpaid, shopping for essentials, increased private housing rentals (council housing is a misnomer in Australia), services, fuel increases etc etc.

There are no statistics available yet suggesting what the majority of 'dependants' did with their Bonuses however I would suggest the majority would not have 'banked it'

[quote user="Benjamin"]Just had an email from my big Sis in Aussie. Each pensioner couple have been given A$ 2,100 by the Government to spend. Everyone she knows has simply banked it.   [:P]

[/quote]

Hi ausibattler

I can't tell you any more than what my posting said except to say that I'm pretty sure that my sister and her husband are not on any means tested benefits. To give you an idea they live on the water front in Mandurah which may mean something to anyone who watched last night's Down Under relocation program.

I would suggest you check your statements Benjamine. I would also suggest that the approximately 14,000 of pensionable aged of the 61,500 residents of Mandurah, 72 klm south of Perth are untypical for reference, compared to the 4 million nationally who are registered with Centrelink, who hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card or are Veterans Gold

Card holders eligible for Seniors Concession Allowance, who received a

payment of $1400 if they are single or $2100 to couples.

I do wonder how far UK Chembers of Commerce and Trade look to find extra business. Having lived in Bournemouth /Poole most of my working life I still read the local paper on the computer each day. On the same day as an article about the Council creating a new post at£110.000 to  seek new business and promote the area, there was an article pointing out the decline in shoppers to most stores and shops BUT also a nice big advert from Brittany Ferries with special price day trips etc to France for shopping etc. With B.F. and Condor ferries going to Cherbourg and St.Malo I wondered how long it would take someone to realise that with the present exchange rate it might pay to offer the same discounted fares to shoppers FROM France.Most household furnishings are much cheaper in UK at the moment.Perhaps a little earner for a coach and delivery firm to get thier act together?

I remember in the last financial meltdown I was working in London and there was always one nationality that seemed to have vast amounts of cash at any one time.

Regards.

I see Soros says take any money out of sterling as UK is finished for investors. Quite worrying,I don't know whether it's safer over here or what the H-LL to do at the moment.Interest is the least of our worries ,the main thing is trying to ensure capital is safe. Any ideas.?I have left capital in UK to try and protect the family from the problems with French inheritance laws but I now have to think in the short term.As I don't intend to kick the bucket in the next year or two I 'm open to any advice. I'm a workman not a financial genius and am finding even the basics of these problems impossible to follow. With all the money injected into the system and the billions supposedly LOST, where is it all going?

Regards.

Gastines, like you, I have no idea what to do for the best.

I think there are many lost souls like us.  This, as they say, is a whole new ball game and it's impossible to find out what the rules are.  What a nightmare!

But, here is the link about this, as if we need any more confirmation that the worst is yet to come!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article5552136.ece