Pound BELOW parity?

NormanH

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Logan"]The present crisis had no resemblance to the 1928 Wall Street crash and subsequent depression. There have been many other serious recessions which always seem the worst of the worst until they are over. Currently I don't rate this one much more than the others which happened for slightly different reasons. Recessions are part of the capitalist economic cycle. Politicians call it boom and bust. The idea that they have the power to end it is simply dishonest. I can't write here the reasons for my analysis Devon it would bore you and the forum witless. I agree with Alan that there has been a serious failure of regulation in both the US and UK. However when the regulators fail to do their job the market does it for them with the more severe consequences we suffer from currently..[/quote]

I hope your rating of the current crisis proves more accurate than this one, Logan:

https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/breakingnews.aspx?newsarticleid=180248

Where were all these experts hiding before things went wrong?

My feeling is unless the ECB drastically slash Eurozone interest rates in the New Year then the EU economy will seriously stagnate.

Unemployment has risen almost everywhere in Europe and having one of the strongest currencies in the world is making the situation worse.

A 1% reduction should help Sterling a little but with demand falling off a cliff almost everywhere I think this recession might just be one of the worst yet. I know that's contrary to one of my previous opinions but the data I am reading today makes for grim reading.

Happy New Year!

The problem for the pound is loose monetary and fiscal policy and a trade deficit (currency negative). The problem for the EUR is tight monetary policy (amongst it's peers), restrained fiscal policy (although Italy, Greece, Ireland straining at the leash) and a healthier trade balance. UK is an accident in fast motion, Europe is an accident in slow motion. The end result will be the same. We all have to tighten our belts.

With bad economic news now coming in from Germany with its car factory lay-offs and rapidly falling order books and rapidly rising unemployment, it would appear that the forex traders are only interested in, and following, interest rate.The UK government/bank is intent on further reductions (american style) whilst the ECB intends to stick at present rates of interest.

It looks like the pound has no chance of coming back against the euro until the ECB is forced to bring its rates down to those of then B of E. When will that be? When those stubborn folk in berlin accept that the German economy has ground to a halt.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm no economist but it seems to me, Alan, that the way the experts "feel" has a huge influence on what actually happens.  When I did economics at "A" level it was called business and consumer confidence.  An awful lot seemed to me then, and still does to this day, to depend upon the feeling in certain people's water!  It's a scary thought, imo.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]

Have these "experts" got it right?:

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/en-gb/pricesnews/investnews/Article.htm?ArticleID=18963100

[/quote]

I certainly hope so, if only to prove wrong a couple of, so called "ex-perts" on this forum.........................

Quote: "Assume it will go as low as 85p to the Euro - and we (our bank) are working on a recovery in 2012...at the earliest"

Quote: Ha

ha bugsey wait until .80=1€  then who will look

a bit shall we say poor. 

[:)]

[quote user="Scooby"]You must have a different dictionary Bugsy / g8 - my dictionary describes pert as meaning trim and pretty....[;-)]

[/quote]

I, of course, can't comment on that until I've a least seen a photograph........................if you're up for it of course....[:P]

[quote user="Babbles"]does anyone know if you cab forward buy at a decent rate?[/quote]I think you maybe misunderstand the idea of forward buying. A forward buy can only protect you from adverse changes not get you a better rate at some future date.

Basically you have to decide on how you think the rate is going. If you forward bought today at say 1.1 and the rate was 1.0 when the due date came you'd have made a profit if however it went the other way you would lose.

THIS page briefly explains it and some other options such as Stop Loss and Limit orders which may be more appropriate for your needs.

Obviously so but I think it goes without saying that the finances of the overwhelming majority of Brits living in France are inexorably tied to the £.

NormanH I believe is in the minority and can indeed afford to be smug and I'm happy for him [;-)]

[quote user="WJT"]Shame that isn't the case because I would like to buy at around 1.67 instead of the current 1.10. So if anyone knows different to Ernie and Inceni please let me know. I can move quite quickly. [:)][/quote]

I'll be happy to acommodate your request at that rate.

Just send your £'s to my normal address c/o Nigerian Consulate, 85000 La Roche sur Yon. Be careful to mark the package for my attention.  [:D]