Credit Agricole Scam?

nomoss

Has anyone else received an email purportedly from Credit Agricole recently?

Last night I viewed an email, received earlier in the day, from Credit Agricole de Languedoc.

The message, very official-looking, basically says that due to new regulations they are obliged to increase banks' obligations regarding their verification of the identities and their knowledge of their customers.

La réglementation bancaire (1) a renforcé les obligations des banques en matière de vérification d’identité et de connaissance de leurs clients. Pour répondre à ces obligations, nous devons recueillir un certain nombre de pièces et d’informations vous concernant pour actualiser votre dossier. Aussi nous vous remercions de nous adresser 

It goes on to ask for an attached reply form to be completed and forwarded, together with a copy of an identity document and proof of residence, by email , by mail to their head office, or taken to my local branch.

I suspect this email is spoof, since my UK bank specifically states that they will never contact me by email, and always asks for copies of such documentation to be sent by post.

In any case, I am pretty sure it is impossible to have an account here without having providing this information when it was opened.

If it is genuine, I am amazed that a bank should use such an insecure method to contact customers. I shall visit my branch this morning.

[quote user="andyh4"]

Was the message addressed to you personally Nomoss or just Cher(e) client?

If to you personally then genuine and as stated very poor practice, if cher client or similar, then phishing trip.

[/quote]

Hi,

There is a warning about phishing on our credit agricole site ---make NO response and contact your branch in person.

For the last few weeks when logging into my CA account there has been a warning about a phishing scam.  It says DO NOT reply to an e-mail requesting this information but to delete it.

If you have given this information in reply to an e-mail I would suggest you contact your branch. 

Edit: Snap, Parsnips!

andyh4, It is addressed to me personally, but I don't agree that that in itself makes it genuine.

Edit: Weegie, Thanks, but I certainly don't respond to emails like this.

Edit: Parsnips, Weegie, I haven't noticed any messages, I must look more closely for any before I log into my account!

We were telephoned by our branch and asked to go in.  Apparently they are supposed to check every three years that you still exist and are you!  That is what we were told...We had to produce copies of passports.  All done very simply in five minutes.

H.

Edit:  If they had emailed we would have gone to the branch - we would never reply to an email from them.

As per my previous postings, the e-mail (in my case) was completely genuine, all based on previous communication by letter from the bank, confirmed when visiting the bank and when speaking to a bank advisor appointed to deal with English customers. He confirmed the e-mail as a genuine request for additional information from English customers regarding their transactions and that it would follow up on all its english customers. Regulations were to blame, not the bank, who were merely following orders[:-))]

[quote user="nomoss"]

andyh4, It is addressed to me personally, but I don't agree that that in itself makes it genuine.

[/quote]

Well for the moment at least it does mean that it is virtually certain to be genuine (never say never).

For a phisher to match the correct name (as used by the bank) to an e-mail address (which may or may not be obvious from the email address) takes some effort.  Now take into account that they are going to send it on the off-chance that the recipient does bank with the institution they are claiming to be, and that many will (like you) question the authenicity, and you will see that the hit rate will be very small for a return of having sent out a single e-mail.  they could be creating mails for weeks just to get one victim. 

That's why they use the impersonal address rather than a specific, which can be sent out simultaneously to 100,000 email addresses and with a possibility of picking up perhaps a handful of victims.

However I am sure that one day your view will be the correct one.

We received a letter several months ago from CA asking for copies of goodness knows what to be sent by mail. I threw the letter in the bin, on the basis that the bank has a lot more money than I do and if they want me to write to them to provide this kind of bureaucratic nonsense they can provide a rely paid envelope. We never heard anymore, which just confirms my view that these letters are sent out by a computer by the shedload and any  replies received are just parked in a room somewhere.

Patrick

Not hearing any more after several months does not indicate anything at all in France, I am still receiving bills from hospital treatment in 2007.

I took my stuff into the branch and made them photocopy it all, big mistake, now my statements go to England at great expense (theirs) so to find my balance I have to go in the branch where they now insist on photocopying my pasport every time.

I have given up trying to convince them that I live in France, according to them I dont and I never have, they have no records at all of me at my address in France etc etc, when I whipped out my cheque book showing my French address they had no response other than "informatiquement that is not possible".

I had the same email (I am in the same region)

The bank has a genuine need for the information, but I was shocked  et the suggestion that I should

"Envoi par E -mail des documents scannés à l’adresse suivante : [email protected]"

This is the same bank that sent me a letter to the address I have lived at for a long time, a house bought with a mortgage from them, asking me for a 'justicatif de domicile' 15 years after I first opened the account.

When I asked them what they would accept they said 'a letter from a bank', so I said would they accept this one.

No they said. It had to be from another bank....

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All.

I have recently been the victim of credit card cloning; despite having all the necessary security and using only secure sites for any purchases, yet still had my card cloned.

Unfortunately it appears that I didn’t have the card insured and as a result, any payments that I receive are taken (stolen) by the bank to cover the losses incurred, which were over 3000€. I have also made a signed statement to the local Gendarmerie as is required but still feel persecuted by the bank.

This has now left me feeling very angry at the banks attitude, as they have now placed me in the ridiculous state of being in a permanent overdraft situation.

I also cannot understand why the bank allowed my overdraft limit to be exceeded many times over and not stop the card; I did question them about this but didn’t get a very good answer.

Despite being the victim in this situation, I feel as though I am being treated as the perpetrator of this crime.

If anything can be learned from this situation, it is make sure you have your card insured as I am now paying the price.

This is quite a worrying post. I thought it deserved to be bumped up to the top of the forum.

When you say "have your card insured", what kind of insurance are you referring to?

I have no idea if we have any such insurance on our bank cards. We - like many others - bank with Crédit Agricole but you do not mention specifically that you bank with them. Perhaps it would be useful to let us know who you have your accounts with.

Does this mean that if there is fraudulent use of a bank card through no fault of the account holder that the bank do not take responsibility for it? And if so, how can the bank hold the account holder responsible? It seems crazy.

Maybe you could elaborate on this as I think most people on this forum would be surprised and possibly worried by your story.

Has anyone else any idea of bank procedures in case of card fraud in France?

I am off to search our bank's website... I may be some time

Danny

Mr Wiggy,

see this page about Utilisation frauduleuse de la carte bancaire

It seems that the bank must reimburse you for any losses assuming you are still in possesion of your card and it has not been taken temporarily. You must write to your bank to reclaim the money normally within 70 days of the loss.

and from this site:

http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.net/faq/sujet-236-carte-bancaire-et-fraude-qui-est-responsable

En cas de fraude

Même si vous êtes encore en possession de votre carte et que vous n’avez donc pas fait opposition, votre responsabilité est totalement dégagée (sans limites aucunes) en cas d’utilisation frauduleuse de votre numéro de carte (achat par correspondance) ou de contrefaçon.
Il vous suffit de notifier par écrit votre contestation à l’établissement émetteur.

Celui-ci doit alors vous recréditer les sommes litigieuses dans le délai d’un mois qui suit la réception de votre lettre recommandée (Code mon. et fin. art. L 132-4).

Basically, if I read it right, after having receiving your notification - by registered letter - your bank have a month to reimburse you.

Danny

I watched a French Tv program on this, basically they will not admit that chip and pin cards can be cloned or the security overcome, despite the journalist being shown exactly how it was done by a cloner with his identity disguised.

I watched the girls in the bureau charged with deciding which dossiers to accept and which to refuse, any cases involving transactions where the PIN number was used they automatically refused to indemnify, basically telling the customer tough sh1te, that they were either lying or a family member must have used their card and pin number.

Big business in France relies on bully tactics and the compliance of most of the population to get its own way.

Mr Wiggy, were your unathorised witrhdrawals card not present transactions, i.e. internet or mail order? Was it a credit or debit card? I assume from your comments that it was a French bank, which one?

Hi to All, again.

When I signed the contract to open an account with the Crédit Mutuel there was no mention on that contract or from the then manager of any insurance for my card, it was only when I spoke with the present manager that any mention of card insurance ever arose, he had asked me, “did I have any insurance for the card.” And that’s what put the fear of Jaker’s into me.

Yesterday afternoon I had a phone call from a very good friend of mine all the way from the UK, and would you believe it but S.D. is on the ball even when he’s having a free ride on the footplate of a steam engine.

He certainly put my mind to rest and reassured me that I had done everything correctly and was not liable as I had reported it to the bank and agreed to make a signed statement to the Gendarmerie.

He has taken a load from my shoulders as understandably I was very concerned about this problem which not of my making, so a big thanks to Dave.