BBC programmes apart from news no longer available?

Has anyone experienced difficulty with viewing some bbc prorammes, for example, BBC2 and BBC4?  Have been watching the snooker from the Crucible and suddenly, this afternoon, there was "no signal" and also "no streaming".

So nothing on Yesterday either.

If it's no longer possible to watch, will there will be no Wimbledon tennis?

Via satellite like you.

I have retuned the tv, checked the connections, done all the usual so now I think it's the weather.  Rain, wind, cloud all day (as every other day this week).

Sometimes, when the weather is bad, we lose our signal but, because not all channels are affected, I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks for the prompt reply, greatly appreciated🙂

No, it's just the weather.  Was watching last night without problem.

I just thought that perhaps the BBC has blocked our signal or something.

Menthe, we have this problem with satellite reception often especially in the rain, and at certain times when climatic conditions interfer with the signal.  Similar to what you could get on the radio signal in the old days.  We got around it by having a VPN installed and using the interniet and an Amazon firestick, but I can't get BBC to work on that at present, but I also have it on laptop, computer and Ipad and with the VPN connected, I can get trhough on those.  Yes, OH has been glued to the snooker too.  It's becaue they are now if HIgh definition, which Channel 4 and ITV work much better as they are not (I think) but even they disappear when it rains, hence the VPN etc.  It tends to get better in teh evenigns - sometimes!  He's watching it on the TV now, for example.

I’ve often said to Mrs G that I wish that there was some mechanism for us to ‘buy in’ to UK TV.

As it is, we all get it for nothing and therefore nobody bothers too much about whether we (in southern or southern-ish France) get a signal or not. 

It’s very annoying, but you can only wait for the weather to calm down a bit.

BTW, I often hear people in the UK moan about an increase in the licence fee - up to about £180 p.a. now eh?  So that’s £15 / month.  Said people will think nothing about paying loads more for SKY etc.  Just how much TV can you watch?

• Like 1

We lost the BBC News channel about 2 weeks ago, but can get the news on BBC1. Also lost a few Freeview channels, but can still get some of them on the "+" version.

I think this may be due to a plane tree in the road outside having grown somewhat since the dish was professionally reinstalled and aligned a few years ago.

Unfortunately the installer is no longer in business; the number of Brits around here seems to have decreased dramatically in the last 3 or 4 years.

Nothing to do with Brexit, of course 😉

I find that most days I can either receive BBC news or Sky news but not both at the same time. One tip, when parliament is in recess, BBC news is run on the parliament channel so that's another way of receiving it.

Well, everyone, I am delighted to report that the lack of reception was due to the weather.  Rain either in bucketloads or fine and plentiful with thick mist.

This morning, everything was back so I could catch up on some of the thrilling action I missed last night.  If you haven't watched, it is really very addictive.  This is the world championship and 3 of the 4 finalists are qualifiers; something that has never happened before.

Talking about the weather, a woman has died in the Aisne dept because a mud slide demolished her house.  Made me think of the mud slide in Aberfan that killed schoolchildren and teachers in a primary school.  I wasn't living in Wales then but it was national news headlines.

I've only popped in now and then, Menthe, but it's good to see that the experienced heads don't wine everytime, even when we know experience helps.  There have certainly been some serious upsets this year .. all makes for more entertaining TV!

Yes, Gardian, I hope it will be Bingham.  I'd rather him than Kyren Wilson.

Maybe his waistcoat will be stretched beyond restraint before his trousers?  He's certainly fatter than when I last watched him😂

Menthe, that is certainly true, about his clothes .. but as the last ranked player standing, you would expect so, but this year, nothing can be assumed I think! 

Well done Kyren Wilson.  Deserved.  Jones got too far behind in the first session and was never really in with a chance after that.  The fact that he pretty much shared (or even won) the remainder of the frames is a credit to him.

For us, it’s always enjoyable, even though this probably wasn’t the most exciting Final.

Has anybody on here ever played much snooker?  It’s a blooming hard game.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gardian said:

Well done Kyren Wilson.  Deserved.  Jones got too far behind in the first session and was never really in with a chance after that.  The fact that he pretty much shared (or even won) the remainder of the frames is a credit to him.

For us, it’s always enjoyable, even though this probably wasn’t the most exciting Final.

Has anybody on here ever played much snooker?  It’s a blooming hard game.

Well, believe it or not I was an expiring snooker and pool player when I younger and was only interested in becoming professional. But university got in the way and that was it. But I am still a snooker geek. 

I used to play pool in France in a team and reached the dizzy heights of being Number 56 out of 10,000 players in my first season. Then I injured my shoulder….and my career in pool and snooker ended. I could have easily become no 1 had it not been for the injury.

I have a full size snooker table in my house but I can’t play anymore…so I will dismantle it. When I am ready to say goodbye.

Anyway, back to the final. Jones lost the final in the first two sessions. He was knackered from the previous day I guess.

Had he not fallen so far behind on Sunday……I think the final was his to win. Loverly player to watch. Really like his style.

Kyren is an excellent player but boring to watch.

At the end of the day, the best player of the week one. So that is fair enough.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

ABLF, I agree, Jak Jones a much more entertaining player to watch than Kyren Wilson, also, I think more stable emotionally, as see the tears at the end ... from Wilson .. not that I saw it all, but I do read the news, and keep up that.  I know my ball skills would make me a useless snooker player, amd well done you, and it's all about angles and how you hit the cue ball, plus strategy and how you escape or place snookers (hence the name!), plus it is so much harder than it looks, and can sometimes look as though nothing is happening at all.  And how those balls just <don"> go in when they really should have... takes a lot more skill than kicking a football or whatever other sport the majority follow and pay huge monies for!

Yes, and the skill levels of snooker players are not remunerated as well as the footballers! When you look at the size of a goalmouth in relation to the size of the football - how do they miss so often and get paid millions to do so!!!! Obscene amounts of money that could be better spent elsewhere in the world. Football stopped being a sport many moons ago and became a massive money making racket..........just my opinion😉

• Like 1