Honest to god, what a crowd of w**kers

DaveLister

Portsmouth has only two ferry operators using the facilities , Brittany Ferries and Condor.

They don't have a dedicated freight terminal. Crossing times are long, fuel is expensive, so cost of crossing is high, as BF passengers know only too well. 

Dover on the other hand has a dedicated freight/cargo terminal. Crossing times are much shorter so much cheaper.

Ferry operators using Dover are DFDS Dover>Calais, DFDS Dover >Dunkirk, Irish Ferries Dover >Calais and P & O dover >Calais

In addition, the road distance to Calais for fresh food exports from the Netherlands, Belgium, and  Northern France is shorter than to Caen, St Malo, Le Havre.

Nothing to do with Brexit, a lot to do with crossing times, cost and freight handling facilities.

Edited by Harnser
  • Like 2

From the article.

'The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs says it spent £200m part-funding new facilities to cope with post-Brexit border controls at 41 ports. It acknowledges that fewer checks will now be required and says ports are free to use spare capacity as they wish.'

Portsmouth is just an example.

Also from the article.

'The British Ports Association meanwhile has raised concerns with ministers about the preparedness of the new inspection regime at new border control posts (BCPs), due to be enforced in less than six weeks.

The trade body says ports have still not been told what hours BCPs will be required to open, or how many staff from two state inspection agencies will be required on site.

Crucially, they also do not know how much they will be able to charge importers for inspections because the government has not revealed what price it will levy at the wholly state-owned and run BCP at Sevington in Kent, 20 miles inland from Dover.'

As I said this shower couldn't organise a P155 up in a brewery.

I hate going from France to Portsmouth on Brittany Ferries. Six hours on those feckīng dirty boats. Does my head in. And the food is beyond crâp. Nothing to do. No wifi. No nothings. Just look at the sea. 

You have to enjoy the passport queues in Caen and then in Portsmouth……which can take an hour…and then the Passport queues in Caen on the return. Which can take an hour. Remember the days when you drive on and drive off.

Quicker by dinghy these days.

But I equally hate driving to Calais to catch the shuttle.

Ryanair and hire a car wins everytime. That saves planet. Not.

Anyway…..yeah….Brexit…tremendous success.

I like Portsmouth BTW…its a nice city.

Oh ALBF !!!

Typically & deliberately outrageous (and generally) wrong.   The sad thing is that some viewing these threads might (just might) see you as an all-seeing, accurate commentator.  Which you’re not.  Just typical of the ‘if I don’t like it, I’ll slag it off’ brigade.

But actually, you’re just being (what you see as) mischievous. 

The trouble is that it takes nonsense like that to stir me in to posting.  I’m as sad as ALBF is.

16 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

like Portsmouth BTW…its a nice city.

I always put Portsmouth down as a place to avoid whilst serving in the RN.  However our last two years in the UK were living in Southsea/Portsmouth.  Our two boys were born in St Mary's hospital.  I got to quite like the place which surprised me.  In our "fantasy flat hunts" we sometimes look at Gunwharf Quay flats because of the view. (was HMS Vernon when I did my Diving Officer/Warfare training)   The place I would really like is the old office of FOSM in HMS Dolphin, directly into the harbour entrance and its varied boating traffic  Used to sit in the Admirals chair there and just watch the world go by.

12 hours ago, Gardian said:

Oh ALBF !!!

Typically & deliberately outrageous (and generally) wrong.   The sad thing is that some viewing these threads might (just might) see you as an all-seeing, accurate commentator.  Which you’re not.  Just typical of the ‘if I don’t like it, I’ll slag it off’ brigade.

But actually, you’re just being (what you see as) mischievous. 

The trouble is that it takes nonsense like that to stir me in to posting.  I’m as sad as ALBF is.

Ooh Gurdian…Im just messing about.

We use BF all the time.  We have been across 3 times last year. Which is a record.

I prefer St Malo to Caen when going to portsemouth. 

The food is crâp on board to be fair. Beer is ok.

I used to work a lot with BF (truckline) when I had a job in my logistics days. A really nice company to work with. P@O out of Portsemouth on the other hand ! Eek.