What, spring already,

It's felt like it these past 2 or 3 days.  There is a mildness to the air, the winds are temperate, the sun shines, all around nature is waking up.

Yesterday, OH said summer must be here, I have seen my first lizard.

But, but, but.....it's STILL only JANUARY?

Yes Mint, I've seen our first lizard here too, and the first fly in the house,  and the daffodils are in bud too.  It doesn't feel right, and I'm sure it will come back to bite us in the bum!

• Like 1

Obviously, betise, it's not just humans who are confused.  Only 2 days ago, I saw a flight of grues sounding all excited to be off somewhere.

I wasn't even sure if they were headed north or south.  Then I saw a pair on the ground in the middle of a field, must have lost their friends and family...poor things.

The snowdrops and crocus/croci 💐are in full bloom in the garden. Yesterday I saw a second butterfly 🦋 of the year and some bees 🐝. Unfortunately, there isn't any food available for them yet.

13 hours ago, cajal said:

The snowdrops and crocus/croci 💐are in full bloom in the garden. Yesterday I saw a second butterfly 🦋 of the year and some bees 🐝. Unfortunately, there isn't any food available for them yet.

I found a big bumblebee on my snowdrops yesterday and the Winter honeysuckle Lonicera fragrantissima, Witch Hazel, Sarcoccoca and Hellebores are providing some flowers 🙂

• Like 1

Down here, I always think of Spring starting on 1st March.  That’s when you always see the plants budding.

It probably won’t be any different this year - anything budding earlier will probably get ‘nipped’ by the cold nights, which we can still expect.

• Indeed, damp and cold have returned.  I did not have unfounded expectations, if anything, I was mightily surprised at the daffodils (as betise has pointed out) and violets and the warm sunshine.

Saw my first almond tree in full bloom today, but since it is early February I cannot now remember whether than means they are early or late.  But whatever, always the first sign down here.  Sadly our almond tree this year didn't do anything at all!!