I agree with Mysty and the farmers

9 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

No, it isnt, Riggers. I was hoping it would just fade away.

Apologies…..google correct had a bit of a turn.

I meant ‘I agree with Chirac and the farmers’.

Chirac said ‘always look after the farmers’.

This is being discussed on many Brit forums….and it seems that Brits mostly don’t like the actions of the French farmers. But then again before Brexit many Brits used to buy their food from the UK and have it delivered to France. So they have no idea of the country they live in. More concerned about their swimming pool.

Anyway, I am with the farmers on this one. Things need to change. Particularly the EU. Otherwise, France will starve to death.

I am with you French farmers. 

Also, just think about those poor SNCF drivers striking because they can’t retire at 50 anymore because trains no longer run on coal !

I think a lot of people think food grows in supermarkets 

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Like 1

We lived in a farming village in Normandy, our kids went to school with their kids so we got to know them quite well.

I support them. I understand why the supermarkets/factories want to pay them as little as possible to boost their own profits selling junk food.  The actual "raw" products we buy on a weekly basis are not over priced.

• Like 1

I would suggest that you glean your information from a wider source than some 'Brit Forum'. This is not just a French agricultural issue but a European one, Holland, Germany, Romania, Ukraine,UK and soon to be global.

It is basically driven by four issues. The madness of climate change 'green issues', unfavourable subsidies, low return to cost ratio and over population of the world. To not support the farming dilemma is sheer insanity, and who would want to be a farmer anyway? It's a no-brainer.

Reports are saying that Paris's food stock is down to 3 days.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cajal said:

I would suggest that you glean your information from a wider source than some 'Brit Forum'. This is not just a French agricultural issue but a European one, Holland, Germany, Romania, Ukraine,UK and soon to be global.

It is basically driven by four issues. The madness of climate change 'green issues', unfavourable subsidies, low return to cost ratio and over population of the world. To not support the farming dilemma is sheer insanity, and who would want to be a farmer anyway? It's a no-brainer.

Reports are saying that Paris's food stock is down to 3 days.

I think it is down to the consumer.

I happy to pay more for milk, potatoes, tomatoes (for example) as long as the money goes to the producer and not some suit in Paris.

• Like 4

Damn, due to dodgy finger/key coordination, it sent itself before I had finished.  What I meant to say, in full, was ...

I am 100% with the farmers, but it is also the fault of the consumer.  We (not us, them) expect to pay as little as possible for our food, often prioritising  "our" budget to stretch to flashy mobile phones and contracts, TV streaming services, fags, and other things that are in no way necessities. 

We must agree to pay a fair price for French produce, and so must the supermarket buyers. 

• Like 1

It's a bit of a minefield.  When I was at school, many moons ago, it was obligatory, for both boys and girls, to do one term of home economics, needlework, woodwork and metalwork. After that term, we could choose our curriculum. Nowadays we have sadly lost a lot of these skills. 

• Like 1

I am often surprised by how much my French friends and neighbours seem to be happy to spend on food.  Even those of modest means will splash out on oysters and foie gras on high days and holidays.

I have noticed high value items in supermarket baskets and trolleys the contents of which differ substantially from oveladen trolleys in the area of South Wales where I lived.

When I go on my walking breaks with French friends, they would spend huge amounts on cheeses, meats, pastries (whatever the local specialities of the region) to take home to family, neighbours and friends.  I mean large amounts by my standards....lol!  Perhaps over 150€ on a jambon sec or 50€ on a couple of tartes de mytilles.

I'd splash out if I was entertaining but, just for us, I'd nearly always find an alternative if something was over-priced by my reckoning.

9 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Apologies…..google correct had a bit of a turn.

This is being discussed on many Brit forums and it seems that mostly don’t like the actions of the French farmers. But then again before Brexit many Brits used to buy their food from the UK and have it delivered to France. So they have no idea of the country they live in. More concerned about their swimming pool.

I was pleasantly surprised by how many do support the farmers! There are the inevitable selfish whingers, of course, but on the whole the Brit community are much better informed and positive than I would have expected.  Perhaps we're all agreed that it's time to call halt on the greed of the big supermarkets?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, menthe said:

I am often surprised by how much my French friends and neighbours seem to be happy to spend on food.  Even those of modest means will splash out on oysters and foie gras on high days and holidays.

I have noticed high value items in supermarket baskets and trolleys the contents of which differ substantially from oveladen trolleys in the area of South Wales where I lived.

When I go on my walking breaks with French friends, they would spend huge amounts on cheeses, meats, pastries (whatever the local specialities of the region) to take home to family, neighbours and friends.  I mean large amounts by my standards....lol!  Perhaps over 150€ on a jambon sec or 50€ on a couple of tartes de mytilles.

I'd splash out if I was entertaining but, just for us, I'd nearly always find an alternative if something was over-priced by my reckoning.

Quite agree, Menthe.  We're living on one UK State pension and even when three of us were living on 2 pensions, I never felt 'flush' enough to spend €25 on an apple tart from a patisserie that I could produce myself for €5. In fact, I'm not a very good française at all, as the aim when moving here was to be as self-sufficient as possible. Not from meanness but just the pleasure of having land and being able to produce our own food.   The raising, conserving, growing etc. goes down much better with 'my' French farming family than it appears to do with the townie and Parisien friends but then  they can't even begin to imagine living on what we do 😁

59 minutes ago, Noisette said:

I was pleasantly surprised by how many do support the farmers! There are the inevitable selfish whingers, of course, but on the whole the Brit community are much better informed and positive than I would have expected.  Perhaps we're all agreed that it's time to call halt on the greed of the big supermarkets?

Agreed.

Especially one that most people here have shopped in and own many renowned retail outlets in France. But its headquarters are not in France….I guess for tax reasons.

Guess who it is.

Motorways from Brussels south blocked and others, bales burning, so had to detour though the countryside. The only road block I saw had pulled back for lunch! But I seriously thought that the lined up tractors were in front of an agency as they were all seemed brand new, which at €100000 each may explain their poverty.

Nothing apparently in the NordPas de Calais.

1 hour ago, anotherbanana said:

Motorways from Brussels south blocked and others, bales burning, so had to detour though the countryside. The only road block I saw had pulled back for lunch! But I seriously thought that the lined up tractors were in front of an agency as they were all seemed brand new, which at €100000 each may explain their poverty.

Nothing apparently in the NordPas de Calais.

I believe they can access low to zero rate finance. Although it still needs repaid.