anyone for galette des rois?

menthe

Nope, due to always visiting French family in the North over the new year period, and being offered it at every opportunity (even if just popping round for apperos or a coffee) I now view it as something to avoided if at all possible.  We went away to Scotland this new year, got off scott free!

• Haha 1

That is not a very long, record breaker. It is just a line of individual galettes which are clearly gapped slightly. It would be twice as long if each one was cut in half and the pieces placed end to end.

Sorry but I have nothing to do at the moment except drink a mug of tea followed by icing our daughter’s 55th birthday cake, made by her Mum.

Betise, I agree about the taste of galette des rois.  I have been cured of eating it forever!

This year, I have managed to avoid all occasions where it would have been served, not the gym réunion, not the maire's drink-up, not in any neighbour's house, not visited the boulangerie in case he offers me a bit to taste.

I think that long line of galettes would have turned me queasy.

3 hours ago, DaveLister said:

For a while I was in agreement with you until I realised you were talking about the biscuit.

Naughty DL, I'd have liked a very large bourbon (no rye thanks) after coming in soaked to the skin late afternoon.  But alas no longer keep any spirits in the house and minimal wine so as not to be tempted.

Galette, different sorts, still too sweet, and the need not to break a tooth means I sually avoid, and like Menthe, not  been anywhere this year which necessitates one!  Been enjoying the last of my stollen instead, as the mince pies are long gone, as is any Christmas cake I managed to find as I don't buy or make one, just enjoy others makes!

11 hours ago, Loiseau said:

Hmm, my daughter asked me to bring one back to London after Christmas, and the only ones I could find had SpiderMan crowns with them. is that some new French trradition?

Loiseau, I remember when all the fèves were figurines like baby Jesus or Mary or some vaguely Eastern potentate robed character.

But in later years, there have certainly been strange figures unrecognisable to me.  The last one was called 'Chewbacca" who appears to be some sort of monkey!

• Thanks 1

Exactly, minty. She did say that they substituted a paper crown from a cracker when it came to the day.

I think I ought to try making one next year, if she asks me.

Actually, I forgot to tell her that the smallest person at the table has to hide underneath it and then call out the names to receive each slice as it is cut, to avoid any shenanigans. Pity, as her 5-y-o would have loved doing that!