General Election

DaveLister

40 minutes ago, NickP said:

I worked in the UK  for 55 years I never had a plastic NI card, and I paid full contributions, plus graduated pension during the 1980s, that system only lasted for about 10 years

I have a plastic credit card one….or used too.

I thought everyone did ? ?

1 hour ago, DaveLister said:

OK Mr French. One David Lister has just gone through the motions of applying for a lost National Insurance number via this website.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/fill-online/get-your-national-insurance-number-by-post

I put in a French address and telephone number, my date of birth, and the fact that I was married. Apart from that the only information they wanted was a copy of a birth certificate, passport, or driving license. You fill out the form and post it to the address given along with the identity document.

It might take some time but there's no reason it shouldn't work.

How do you upload a birth certificate?….if you can find it ? Lol

French driving license works ?

4 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

French driving license works ?

If you know where and when you were born, and the names of your parents, you can apply for a birth certificate.

36 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:
2 hours ago, DaveLister said:

You're not uploading it, you're sending a photocopy in the post with the form.

I'm assuming you have a passport which, as I said, is acceptable.

Go on ALBF, you know you want to 😁

A question to those of you who are in the process of registering to vote; why? Given that most folk on this forum seem committed to living out their lives in France and beyond a few family members have few links with the UK, why do you want to vote in UK? Can you honestly say that you are in touch or that it matters to you?

For at least one member of the forum, disclosing his French address might remind the UK authorities of the outstanding warrants and s/he is far too old to do bird!🤪

• Thanks 1

Well for me it's two reasons. One, I believe everyone should have the right to vote somewhere and two, I still have financial interests in the UK which are affected by the competence ( or lack of ) the incumbent government.

I have just received this from county council where I was last registered to vote:

Your vote matters. Don’t lose it.
I’m writing to let you know that your recent application to be added to the electoral register has
been successful. You are on the register as an overseas voter.

You will be added to the register on 01 March 2024 unless there is an election called before then,
in which case you will be added to the register in time to be able to vote at that election. Currently,
your vote method is registered as: in person. As you are an Overseas elector, we suggest that you
make arrangements to vote by post or proxy.
If you have supplied us with your previous address and informed us that you are no longer
resident there for electoral purposes, your entry on the electoral register for that address will be
removed.
Your registration as an Overseas Elector expires on the 28 February 2025.
Overseas declarations must be renewed every twelve months. You should let us know if you do
not intend to be resident at this address, or if you move house.

This morning, I have sent a request to be re-registered at my last UK address.  Both of us were registered until last year so I am hoping for a rapid response.

I have written to our proxy as well to request his permission.

GE might be on the cards sooner than we think!

Norman, I thought the new rules are that, for overseas voters the length of time the registration lasts is 3 years?  However, that is a minor matter that can be sorted out at a later date.

In the meantime, everybody else, please do not waste any more time.  Get on that phone, write that email, take immediate steps!!!

10 minutes ago, menthe said:

Norman, I thought the new rules are that, for overseas voters the length of time the registration lasts is 3 years?  However, that is a minor matter that can be sorted out at a later date.

Menthe, I think it might be that being overseas, we have to register yearly.  I certainly have had to do so in the past.  I'm off to check soon, though I am pretty sure I will still be registered as my renewal happens in November, which I already did .. but I agree, best to check soonest.

Yes, Judith, you are right, it is yearly.  I am so distracted this morning and my head is in a whirl....can't blame anything else.  Why does everything have to be so time-consuming and so hard to achieve?

Can't even manage to pay my water bill on line.....

Sorted now, registered online and obtained my proxy's acceptance to do the necessary.

Sometimes I wonder how on earth we managed to do stuff like this writing letters and telephoning people?

On 17/01/2024 at 12:19, Judith said:

Menthe, I think it might be that being overseas, we have to register yearly.  I certainly have had to do so in the past.  I'm off to check soon, though I am pretty sure I will still be registered as my renewal happens in November, which I already did .. but I agree, best to check soonest.

We contacted our local authority where we have been registered to vote for the last 14 years and they have told us that we are still registered, we will be transferred to the 15 years list and there will be no requirement for us to register every year.

2 hours ago, Harnser said:

We contacted our local authority where we have been registered to vote for the last 14 years and they have told us that we are still registered, we will be transferred to the 15 years list and there will be no requirement for us to register every year.

Erratum - I have just been corrected by MOH - we have been transferred from the 15 year registration register to the life registration register or list or whatever.😠