General Election

DaveLister

Yes, will vote if allowed. Last year, when I tried to register as usual, I did not get a reply.  My 15 years were up and so I didn't argue about it to the Council bod in charge of overseas voting.

1 hour ago, alittlebitfrench said:

How do you go about these things ?

I think I remember reading somewhere that they were currently conducting trials to figure out how it would work.

So watch this space.

20 hours ago, DaveLister said:

I think I remember reading somewhere that they were currently conducting trials to figure out how it would work.

So watch this space.

Yes, I took part in one.  However, it was more to do with information, including asking how I would prefer to vote if / when I do.  I said online.  From my clalcuations, I have only "lost" my vote "this year" but have voted each time, but there is certainly some problem with postal voting, as votes don;t always arrive in time, and the proxy vote doesn't work for me as I know no-one who lives close enough to vote in my old constituency.  As I have said before, I always vote as I regard it as my duty to do so.  And for those who think I no longer have an interest in the UK poltitics, my reply is always "Of course I do!  Where do you think my pension income comes from, never mind that all my family live there." 

• Like 1

We are fortunate enough to be able to name our friend for voting on our behalf.  The postal votes do not appear to arrive on time.

Also, we trust our named person absolutely to vote as we wish.  I think it's important to stress that we do not know how he himself votes or where his political sympathies lie but we do know we can trust him!

9 hours ago, menthe said:

We are fortunate enough to be able to name our friend for voting on our behalf.  The postal votes do not appear to arrive on time.

Also, we trust our named person absolutely to vote as we wish.  I think it's important to stress that we do not know how he himself votes or where his political sympathies lie but we do know we can trust him!

That is the most important thing, Menthe.  I did use a proxy once, when they were arranging them, and that was easy enough, but online would be so, so much eaiser.  Not difficult to keep voting online legal and secure these days .. we already have to verify our voting registration each year, and with  secure password and text messages with codes which you now need to do almost anything, no reason at all why online voting can be foolproof.

I would happily trust any of my family to vote for me, they just do not live close enough to my old polling station (which was just at the end of our street - very handy!), to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

Are you saying you never worked in the UK?

I had before Uni, during Uni and then a couple of years after Uni.

And then France.

i have no payslips or that plastic NI card. That has been lost years ago.

Just checking online to find your old NI number…..I can’t provide that info.

My plan of moving back to the UK in 10 years time is looking a tad difficult.

Edited by alittlebitfrench

I have just   started the process but they want  the  uk Passport number and my old address and post code. So far no nI Number and it accepted  the date I left the UK which is 28 years ago. Haven't finished yet as I have  to look out the passport, but will report back

1 hour ago, DaveLister said:

If you look at the eligibility to vote you still need to have been a UK resident in the last 15 years.

That's the current regulation .. and it is intended to remove that limitation once the law has been effected I think you'll find.

4 minutes ago, Judith said:

That's the current regulation .. and it is intended to remove that limitation once the law has been effected I think you'll find.

Apparently, the date the new system goes live is from the 16th January.

16 minutes ago, NormanH said:

it accepted  the date I left the UK which is 28 years ago

As it did when I applied, only for me to receive a letter of rejection due to the 15 yr. rule. I'll take another look after the 16th to see if the process looks different.

1 hour ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Never say never ALBF there's always a way. If you worked, you must have paid taxes. Someone will have your National Insurance no. somewhere.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, betise said:

Apparently, the date the new system goes live is from the 16th January.

Not sure Betise - that's about the date I did the test for them, and I've seen nothing since to say it is now active.

OK Mr French. One David Lister has just gone through the motions of applying for a lost National Insurance number via this website.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/fill-online/get-your-national-insurance-number-by-post

I put in a French address and telephone number, my date of birth, and the fact that I was married. Apart from that the only information they wanted was a copy of a birth certificate, passport, or driving license. You fill out the form and post it to the address given along with the identity document.

It might take some time but there's no reason it shouldn't work.

2 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I had before Uni, during Uni and then a couple of years after Uni.

And then France.

i have no payslips or that plastic NI card. That has been lost years ago.

Just checking online to find your old NI number…..I can’t provide that info.

I worked in the UK  for 55 years I never had a plastic NI card, and I paid full contributions, plus graduated pension during the 1980s, that system only lasted for about 10 years