Ajaccio

Gardian

This is an extremely trivial question, but the answer has been niggling at me for a week or so!

I’ve always pronounced Ajaccio with soft c’s, but our son picked me up on it after he visited Corsica and said that the c’s are hard.

Then I saw a travel programme on TV and a ‘local’ pronounced the city with soft c’s.

Maybe it’s like a lot of places where two versions are in use, a bit like Shrewsbury in England.  Anybody know?

4 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Guardian, your mind in exercised by the strangest things!

I don't agree, Wools.  IMO, virtually nothing is not improved by a bit of "wondering".  Does you good to wonder.  Finding out is enjoyable.  In fact, I read somewhere that curiosity is the best thing going for you if you wanted to live a long and interesting life😁

After Norman's contribution, I thought about the pronunciation a bit more and I have revised what I said.  I think the double c needs to be followed by h to make the k sound so, Ajaccio would sound as Lori and Norman have pointed out.

I was thinking of how the Italian tennis player pronounces his name Cecchinato is therefore Checkinato.  Also, the famous Ponte Vecchio in Florence.  So for a k sound, h has to come before the vowels i or e.

22 hours ago, Lori said:

Google Translate has it as Ahhjaksio.

Out of interest, did you translate English -> French or French -> English?

I entered 'Ajaccio' into DeepL, and it returned two totally unrelated pronunciations. E -> F (amyahcho) and F -> E (ajatio).

3 hours ago, Lehaut said:

Hope the Corsicans are more tolerant with mis-pronunciations that they are with French road signs! Saw loads like this when we were touring there.

image.thumb.jpeg.d8a194026efc76396d1ddcba86e55379.jpeg

Well, that doesn't surprise me.  Before we had "real" terrorists, the Corsicans were, only semi-jokingly, dubbed "les terroristes"!

4 hours ago, cajal said:

I guess the most accurate pronunciation would be achieved via a French -> French, simply for the audio. However, translation software doesn't allow for that permutation.

If I pronounce my version (which is an argued-through version of Lori's) into my French note taker it gives Ajaccio.

19 hours ago, menthe said:

After Norman's contribution, I thought about the pronunciation a bit more and I have revised what I said.  I think the double c needs to be followed by h to make the k sound so, Ajaccio would sound as Lori and Norman have pointed out.

I was thinking of how the Italian tennis player pronounces his name Cecchinato is therefore Checkinato.  Also, the famous Ponte Vecchio in Florence.  So for a k sound, h has to come before the vowels i or e.

i think the last two Cs, in Italian, would be pronounced like English "ch", as in focaCCio (soft before e and i, I remember; if followed by an h, then the c is hard).  But I know nothing about how Corsicans would pronounce Ajaccio!

https://storylearning.com/learn/italian/italian-tips/italian-pronunciation-guide

4 hours ago, menthe said:

Loiseau, you got home OK then?  (Please excuse the digression, but this is justified?)  Was thinking of you this evening.  Driving back from the dentist took an hour and a half instead of the usual 40 minutes.

Dear mint, yes, I did, thank you! Wading through rushing water to reach the car; wind and rain near Calais; but sm8ling blue skies to welcome me to Kent when the Shuttle doors opened. 
Feel bad that I have abandoned Wooly to more downpours, but he's got the drill now to cope with the rising waters (I hope).

19 hours ago, NormanH said:

If I pronounce my version (which is an argued-through version of Lori's) into my French note taker it gives Ajaccio.

Given the effect that fronting a double 'Marshall stack' for decades had on my hearing, coupled with the questionable quality of translation audio, I don't think my F⇾E ajatio is a million phonetics away from Lori's example. 😊

9 hours ago, Loiseau said:

Dear mint, yes, I did, thank you! Wading through rushing water to reach the car; wind and rain near Calais; but sm8ling blue skies to welcome me to Kent when the Shuttle doors opened. 
Feel bad that I have abandoned Wooly to more downpours, but he's got the drill now to cope with the rising waters (I hope).

Ha! Ha! Loiseau, I hope the drill includes how to clean out the buanderie?

Relieved and happy you got home in one piece.  That rain where we are was like driving through a car wash.  Even the French drivers were slowing down...so, that says it all?

• Haha 1