A sign of trouble to come

A group of students at a college in Genk, Belgium attempted to break up a stand against homopgobia set up in the college cour. They shouted ‘Allah Ouakbar’ and attempted to physically disrupt proceedings and have a go at the volunteers staffing the exhibit.

A sign of future intolerance in education in France too?

https://www.lefigaro.fr/international/belgique-des-eleves-perturbent-une-action-contre-l-homophobie-en-criant-allah-akbar-20230514

3 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

A group of students at a college in Genk, Belgium attempted to break up a stand against homopgobia set up in the college cour. They shouted ‘Allah Ouakbar’ and attempted to physically disrupt proceedings and have a go at the volunteers staffing the exhibit.

A sign of future intolerance in education in France too?

https://www.lefigaro.fr/international/belgique-des-eleves-perturbent-une-action-contre-l-homophobie-en-criant-allah-akbar-20230514

More likely an intolerance generally. I, for one, am sick of the 'woke' attitude that seems to exist today. Queers, trans, perverts!  Homophobia? What's wrong with normal?  

50 minutes ago, Riggers said:

Because it’s not what you approve of doesn’t make it abnormal 

51 minutes ago, Riggers said:

Because it’s not what you approve of doesn’t make it abnormal 

You are making an assumption, wrongly as usual! I said it isn't normal, and men making love to men or trying to become another sex isn't 'normal. perhaps you think it is. These people exist, and have always done so right back through history. What I don't approve of , which you don't seem to comprehend, is the attempting to 'normalise' something that isn't normal. Clear now?

21 hours ago, Ken said:

More likely an intolerance generally. I, for one, am sick of the 'woke' attitude that seems to exist today. Queers, trans, perverts!  Homophobia? What's wrong with normal?  

Appartently noboby is normal in every aspect of themselves. As normal only means "the usual, typical, or expected state or condition" (it doesn't mean wrong or bad) then surely there is absolutely nothing wrong with being normal and absolutely nothing wrong with not being normal.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Appartently noboby is normal in every aspect of themselves. As normal only means "the usual, typical, or expected state or condition" (it doesn't mean wrong or bad) then surely there is absolutely nothing wrong with being normal and absolutely nothing wrong with not being normal.

'Nothing wrong with not being 'normal' you say. You include in that statement what is happening to school children with regard gender change or the demonstrations against 'straight' people when invited to give lectures? I could go on but if you think that is 'normal' you are not going to change your mind.

1 hour ago, Ken said:

'Nothing wrong with not being 'normal' you say. You include in that statement what is happening to school children with regard gender change or the demonstrations against 'straight' people when invited to give lectures? I could go on but if you think that is 'normal' you are not going to change your mind.

I suspect that there is something about you that is not the usual, typical or the expected state or condition, so there is something about you that is not normal. That does not make you bad or wrong. Surely we need to stop thinking that "not normal" is bad. Surely it depends on what the straight person is going to say (or has said in the past) to determine whether a demonstration is justified? Personally, I think we all need to remember that one person exercising their "rights" (to free speech) may adversly affect another persons rights. I would like us all to think more about other people and try to make this world as nice a place to live as is possible. Sometimes all we have to do is put our brains in gear before we open our mouths..... I guess many folk will think I am woke because of that.... but it is a badge that I wear proudly.

The definition of 'normal' that I use is  'that which occurs naturally'. There are vast numbers of physical and neuro divergences all of which are products of nature. I myself, for example, am left handed. When it comes to free speech ( or should I say free opinions ) I feel we have the internet to blame. Decades ago people would stand on their soap box and be heard by a couple of dozen people. Now, with retweets, their reach is global and their capability to trigger thousands is out of all proportion to their relevance.  It gives all the wrong people the equivalence of a sugar rush.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

The definition of 'normal' that I use is  'that which occurs naturally'. There are vast numbers of physical and neuro divergences all of which are products of nature. I myself, for example, am left handed. When it comes to free speech ( or should I say free opinions ) I feel we have the internet to blame. Decades ago people would stand on their soap box and be heard by a couple of dozen people. Now, with retweets, their reach is global and their capability to trigger thousands is out of all proportion to their relevance.  It gives all the wrong people the equivalence of a sugar rush.

Yes, that works for me as well. I tend to use the "usual" definition because I have worked in Radio Stations and the equipment was "normalised" to how it was normally needed. But there was always a patch bay where things could be over plugged for when we needed it to be different (not bad... just different).

54 minutes ago, JohnM said:

But there was always a patch bay where things could be over plugged for when we needed it to be different

Ahh the old jackfield. Those were the days. I learnt my trade in radio before moving into television. Funnily enough my left handedness was one of the reasons I took very early retirement. More and more companies succumbed to windows based systems with their infuriating two button mice. I could only operate one quickly enough in a live broadcast if I converted it for the left hand. No problem for me but the 'normals' had a fit.😀

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

I suspect that there is something about you that is not the usual, typical or the expected state or condition, so there is something about you that is not normal. That does not make you bad or wrong. Surely we need to stop thinking that "not normal" is bad. Surely it depends on what the straight person is going to say (or has said in the past) to determine whether a demonstration is justified? Personally, I think we all need to remember that one person exercising their "rights" (to free speech) may adversly affect another persons rights. I would like us all to think more about other people and try to make this world as nice a place to live as is possible. Sometimes all we have to do is put our brains in gear before we open our mouths..... I guess many folk will think I am woke because of that.... but it is a badge that I wear proudly.

You are on a tangent way off the subject. No one has said 'not normal' is bad! I haven't that's for sure. You are right, we should put our brains into gear before opening our mouths!!

12 hours ago, DaveLister said:

Ahh the old jackfield. Those were the days. I learnt my trade in radio before moving into television. Funnily enough my left handedness was one of the reasons I took very early retirement. More and more companies succumbed to windows based systems with their infuriating two button mice. I could only operate one quickly enough in a live broadcast if I converted it for the left hand. No problem for me but the 'normals' had a fit.😀

Also annoying (at least to me) was the BBC Radio capitulating - in the early 1990s - on the question of which way faders should fade,   trashing decades of BBC exceptionalism,    (of which I was proud).    

Oh well,     keep polishing those double enders!

On 16/05/2023 at 08:14, Martin963 said:

Also annoying (at least to me) was the BBC Radio capitulating - in the early 1990s - on the question of which way faders should fade,   trashing decades of BBC exceptionalism,    (of which I was proud).    

Oh well,     keep polishing those double enders!

I agree. It's was far safer when an accidental shove of script (or elbow) would close a fader instead of opening it!

On 16/05/2023 at 06:07, Ken said:

You are on a tangent way off the subject. No one has said 'not normal' is bad! I haven't that's for sure. You are right, we should put our brains into gear before opening our mouths!!

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I agree. It's was far safer when an accidental shove of script (or elbow) would close a fader instead of opening it!

On 16/05/2023 at 06:07, Ken said:

But you did ask "What's wrong with normal?". I'm just pointing out that as nobody is normal, then not being normal is actually ..... normal.

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

But you did ask "What's wrong with normal?". I'm just pointing out that as nobody is normal, then not being normal is actually ..... normal.

You kept carping on and inferring that I had said not being 'normal' was bad. I didn't. You also said "people should put their brain into gear before opening their mouths". You should follow your own advice not dig a deeper hole!

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Whilst running the risk of adding controversy to this thread, as an ITV oink, I have to say I strongly disagree with this statement 😉😀😀

2 hours ago, Ken said:

You kept carping on and inferring that I had said not being 'normal' was bad. I didn't. You also said "people should put their brain into gear before opening their mouths". You should follow your own advice not dig a deeper hole!

Please re read all your comments and consider whether they could easily be interpreted in a way that you perhaps didn't intend.