Computer tips.

Bugsy

Given the number of recent posting I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where you can add any tips or advice on the use of computers. It would be good if this thread is not used for discussion but just for tips. Any questions or queries being directed to the 'poster' by PM.

I don't think it matters how basic the tip is, as it may help someone, and computer whizz-kids can just smile and say to themselves "I knew that". Please note that my tips tend to be XP biased as that's the system I work with.

I'm happy to start with probably the two most important........................

1. Always create a Restore Point before making changes or adding new programs to your system.

Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore - Create a New Restore Point - Give it a name - Click Create.

2. Back-up your files regularly.

It's a fact that at some time now or in the future, your system will crash and you stand a good chance of loosing valuable files. It's also a fact that the majority of people buying a new external hard drive have lost stuff due to a system crash. External drives are both cheap (ish) and easy to use. A software programme like 'Acronis True Image' enables you to save your whole system contents that can then be re-installed in the event of a disaster

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One I use all the time:Click here to visit the Emoticons Mail site

Highlight what you want to copy

Then CTRL/C (together) to copy

CTRL/V (together) to paste

Remember to activate the cursor in the place you want to paste

Another:Click here to visit the Emoticons Mail site

To highlight a word double click on it

To highlight a paragraph treble click

Disapointed that there is no spell checker in IE 7 ?

You can download this free-be from http://www.iespell.com/

It sit's quietly in the background and is activated by highlighting what you want to check - right clicking over it - you are then given a choice as to which web-dictionary you want to use. It can also be used to check definitions and origins.

It's neat, and very quick.

Thanks for the tips [:)]. Bugbear, I have just tried to do as you suggested. I tried to set a restore point, the first time today and it would not allow me and then the second time using yesterday but it failed again. Am I doing something wrong?

I have also hesitated in downloading the new Internet Explorer after reading some of the comments in recent weeks. In fact a reminder about it on my computer is what prompted me to do as you suggested in setting a restore point in case I do decide to download. Would those that have downloaded IE7 recommend to do so?

I am presuming that you have Windows XP. If you do, switch off your computer, then back on, and try then. Remember to give your new restore point a name, you don't need a date, it does that for you.

IE 7 is more secure than '6' ever was.

Storage of photos and important documents (all formats and OS):

There is evidence that the life of CD and DVD media is limited. In the case of family heirloom photographs that may be important as we move towards an all-digital age.

Also, computers are good pickings for thieves, and hard drives fail.

Consider these media to be temporary, and store your cherished files on an external hard drive, preferably backed up on another one. Keep one away from the computer in a safe place so that in case of theft the backup isn't taken as well.

Proliferate files onto new drives over time as memory gets cheaper.

I didn't think there were PC tips - surely they should be recycled not dumped in landfill.

On the other hand to avoid problems do not turn the computer on.

Why do people buy fancy expensive cars and yet buy cheap Bill Gates computers?

[quote user="Bugbear"]

I am presuming that you have Windows XP. If you do, switch off your computer, then back on, and try then. Remember to give your new restore point a name, you don't need a date, it does that for you.

IE 7 is more secure than '6' ever was.

[/quote]

Thank you Bugbear, yes I have Windows XP. I was ticking the wrong box [:$]. I ticked restore your computer to an earlier date. But strange that it wouldn't allow me to do that. I did as you said and just named the restore point today's date, it didn't seem to do anything but didn't reject it either. So I assume it worked.

Considering I have Norton Internet Security, would you still recommend downloading IE7. I have been hesitant in doing so because of all the problems I have read about it.

By the way, I am having another problem over the last couple of days. When I watch a clip, it is freezing up and stopping and starting. It has never done this before. Has anyone else experienced this?

[quote user="WJT"]

Considering I have Norton Internet Security, would you still recommend downloading IE7. I have been hesitant in doing so because of all the problems I have read about it.

By the way, I am having another problem over the last couple of days. When I watch a clip, it is freezing up and stopping and starting. It has never done this before. Has anyone else experienced this?

[/quote]

Personally, I would junk Norton and use the free AVG antivirus software. Version 7.5.432 is now available and it's free. I'm sure a lot of people use Norton without problems but it can, when things go wrong, really mess up your system files and it is very dificult to remove completely.

Internet Explorer 7 is far more secure than '6' ever was. A lot of people had problems when running 'beta' versions of it but now it's finished it's pretty good. Try it, and don't remove IE6, then you can revert back if you don't like it. (system restore before downloading)

Freezing Video Clips is fairly common and is caused by the way the clip is configured or the available memory on your graphics card. Some cards allow you to increase the ram available, some don't. It's a bit dificult to explain on here how to do this and if you're not spot on a mistake can cause a few problems. You could always stop the video from running and wait until the buffering has completely finished.

Thank you Bugbear, I will give IE7 a try. I just bought this Dell computer for France and actually chose to buy Norton so am disappointed to hear about the problems. I have used them for years in the UK without problem but have heard a few things recently. [:(]

With the clips, as long as I know it isn't a problem with my computer, I am sure I can live with it. Thank you again.[:)]

I used to use Norton Internet Security and only ditched it because my Norton licence was due to expire.

At present I use AVG Free (AntiVirus) and Zone Alarm Free (Firewall)

I keep getting a reminder lately telling me that AVG Free will not be free after mid January 2007.

Update your windows regularly... start->Microsoft Updates

Also upgrade to Vista when you can... it is a lot easier to use, and a lot more powerful. On the downside it is resource hungry and if your computer is more than a year old... you will need a new one.

To place the network connection icon on the taskbar.

Click Start - Control Panel - Network Connections

Right click your network connection - Select Properties - Tick box (show icon when connected)

Smile and have a cup of tea.............................

To turn off connection, right click the icon, then select disable.

WiFi for absolute beginners.

A brief attempt to explain how to set up a WiFi in your home if you have no idea.

WiFi is simply a wireless system that allows other computers in your home to be connected to the internet, at the same time. It also allows you to share information/files etc, between computers. You can also use it to log on when you're sitting in the garden. In short, it's quite a useful thing to have.

The equipment you need for a basic setup is quite straightforward, a modem / router for your main connection and a means for the other computers to receive the signal. These are either an internal board for a PC, and a PCMIA card or USB receiver for a laptop. Most new laptops these days come with a built-in wireless facility. A moden/router will cost around 90 euros and a PCMIA or USB connector, 25 euros. I have a 'Belkin' router which has proved to be very reliable and they have a particularly good website if you have problems.

Putting it all together is really straightforward providing you take your time.

Simply follow the instructions for removing your old modem and connecting the new stuff to your PC and phoneline. Connect to your browser and type the number given, something like ("192.167.2.1") into the URL address field. Then follow the instructions on the screen.

Trial and error will get it working in no time at all.

What is important is the setting up of a secure access to your WiFi.

If you see a lot of people outside your house using their laptops, your security is not working. If you live in a fairly isolated location, it's not as important.

Security is again important if you opt for file sharing as anyone who can log on using your WiFi connection can also have a look at your files.

Try it and you will soon wonder how you ever managed without it.

1. If possible, never buy new type of hardware (such as a dual-core processor) in the first 6 months after its release.  Let the manufacturer and early purchasers work the bugs out first (the price may go down, too). 

2. The same goes for software (other than security updates and patches): let others work out the incompatibility problems before you install it on your system.

I learned this after we bought a Dell PC with the (then) newly-released Windows XP in early 2002 and spent beaucoup hours the first year patching and fighting the software (and I had a much easier time than those people who had upgraded their old PCs' software to XP).

Our next PC will be dual-core with Vista.  But I won't buy it before 2008.

3. You can never have too much memory, HD or RAM.  As with closets, no matter how much space you have, you will find a way to fill it.  Unless you are very comfortable about opening your PC and adding memory, or you never store photos, music or videos, buy more memory than you think you will need.  Much more.

[quote user="Bugbear"].............................to turn off connection, right click the icon, then select disable.[/quote]Don't mean to be controversial but I questioned this advice in another thread and reiterate here that this is a clumsy way to disconnect as it affords no way to get back online other than going into Network Connections and re-enabling.

Broadband users should have no real reason to disconnect however, if they feel they must, they should use the timeout facility built into most routers, or at least has been present in every router I've encountered.

The exception might be with USB modems which unfortunately I have no experience of so can't say how you are supposed to disconnect with these.

Dialup users will be well aware of how to disconnect !