Computer tips.

Bugsy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Cassis"]80gb external storage, Crép?  Cripes, you've got a lot of stuff!  You've made me feel wholly inadequate (again).[/quote]

I've got a big one too: [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/cool/cool37.gif[/img]

LaCie 80gb, divided into 2 drives, one for pics, the other for laptop / PC backup.

[quote user="Cassis"]Hmmm.  Does make you wonder.  What useful function (if any) do these index files serve for the owner, Ernie?

80gb external storage, Crép?  Cripes, you've got a lot of stuff!  You've made me feel wholly inadequate (again). 
[/quote]

Absolutely none Cassis...!!!

Crepscule, 80gb, pah, would hold about 2/3 of my music, 2x 200gb is more like it although to be fair one 200gb drive is a mirror for the other to guard against physical failure.

There are actually 3 certainties in life not just the oft quoted 2

1. Death

2. Taxes

3. Hard Drive Failure (only a question of when not if)

Full marks for backing up though but sadly you're in the minority.

Speaking of backups, does anyone use softbackup.com or anything similar rather than a hard drive and if so have you any recommendations on which to use?

I wish there was a seperate forum for the computer tips, this is a very useful thread but it will be difficult to reference anything in the future!

Personally not too keen on online backups as I prefer to have my stuff under personal control and to hand, additionally, even with a fast broadband connection uploading can be quite slow.

There are essentially 2 types of backups to consider each requiring a different strategy.

Firstly a backup of your irreplaceable personal files, documents and photo's etc. which can be done by simply copying them to an external hard drive or even burning them directly to CD or DVD.

Secondly, but no less importantly, a backup of your system so you can quickly recover from say a bad Windows crash or a corrupt or failed hard drive or some other occurence which prevents you actually being able to boot your PC. For this you need an imaging programme such as  http://eu.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

The one thing you should be very cautious about using is the built in backup utility in Windows because this requires a proper working installation of Windows to restore to, kinda defeating the object I feel, and I've heard too many stories of people trying to restore these backups only to find that for one reason or another they can't. 

The vital question to ask yourself is "what you would do if your hard drive failed right this minute" ?

Sleep well !

Firstly, to use TrueImage you will need either a second partition on your HD or a second drive which can be actually inside your PC or an external USB drive, or even on network drive, if you have a network that is.

Additionally you can burn images direct to CD or DVD (not sure if the home edition one permits DVD burning though). CD is not really the preferred option because you could easily end up with 5 or 6 or even more CD's to accomodate the size of the image.

You run TrueImage just like any other Windows programme. It has Wizards to guide you through the various functions and you just follow the simple procedure to make your image.

A further Wizard will guide you through burning a bootable CD for recovery purposes.

If you happen to suffer a disaster then you simply boot from the CD you made, browse for the image to restore and err, restore it, which puts your PC back to exactly as it was at the time you created the image.

This is very brief description and TrueImage can do a lot lot more but in it's simplest form this is all there is to it.