could of, would of, should of

babcock

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="babcock"]

Or English as she is spoke

I know language is a living, changing thing but the above make me cringe.TV reporters are among the worst for mangling the English language.

[/quote]

What makes me cringe in the last few years is the regular use of 'ink' instead of 'ing' and sometimes the other way around.

Thing and think seem to be currently interchangeable.

Example: It is not some 'think' I like.

Some TV presenters seem to think it is posher. We are now producink a new...

Makes me angggrrryyyyyy.....

I do hope you haven't previously noticed this because now you will become infuriated when you hear it.

ooooh this is giving me a chance to let off steam. "Could of" and "would of" are bad enough when spoken, but I have seen it written as such on subtitles .... on the BBC!!!!

I also hate the use of "like" as a substitute for "said". As in "well she was, like, are we going out and I was, like, yes so he was, like, what time ...". Etc., etc.

Drives me potty!!!

The mangled subtitles in news programmes are due to the use of voice recognition software to provide instant (huh!) written versions of spoken content.

As for linguistic gripes, my guns are focused on supermarket bosses who do not know the difference between "fewer than" and "less than" ...

[quote user="powerdesal"]Is it very difficult to learn the difference between 'loose' and 'lose' ?

Reporters and newspaper letter writers (and posters on 'some' forums) seem to have a blind spot where these words are concerned.
[/quote]Guilty as charged - I have a real problem with this and stare at it for hours trying to decide if I've written it correctly or not (mind you I do that a lot with my spelling which is cr*p and no, I don't mind in the least if people give me tips as to how to do it better, as long as they're not patronising or rude in the process.)

[quote user="sparkapuss"]When did the letter H, "aitch" become haitch?[/quote]

Being of a Northern persuasion, I can tell you that there are certain areas where this has been prevalent for a long time. Indeed I recall an incident from my schooldays where a fellow pupil, as part of something we were doing for a school assembly, had to sweep majestically onto the stage and declaim "Open up Hell Gates!" - just this ONE line. After a surfeit of rehearsals, she was finally getting it more-or-less correct. Come the day, reversion to type occurred .... "HOPEN HUP ELL GATES!"

You had to be there, I suppose ...

Regards

Pickles

Cooperlola says:

Guilty as charged - I have a real problem with this and stare at it for hours trying to decide if I've written it correctly or not (mind you I do that a lot with my spelling which is cr*p and no, I don't mind in the least if people give me tips as to how to do it better, as long as they're not patronising or rude in the process.

Coops, listen carefully; I shall say this onnly once.

Lose: you misplace it

Loose:  it's too big for you and it doesn't fit

Hope that helps?[:D]

How's the walking?  Are you losing it or are your shoes too loose?  See, that's the difference![:)]

[quote user="nectarine"]"Could of" and "would of" are bad enough when spoken, but I have seen it written as such on subtitles .... on the BBC!!!![/quote]

Most, if not all live-programs subtitles are produced by speech synthesis software, not typed by an individual listening to a soundtrack.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="powerdesal"]Is it very difficult to learn the difference between 'loose' and 'lose' ?

Reporters and newspaper letter writers (and posters on 'some' forums) seem to have a blind spot where these words are concerned.
[/quote]Guilty as charged - I have a real problem with this and stare at it for hours trying to decide if I've written it correctly or not (mind you I do that a lot with my spelling which is cr*p and no, I don't mind in the least if people give me tips as to how to do it better, as long as they're not patronising or rude in the process.)[/quote]

Loose is bigger (looser) than lose. 

Lose is smaller, as it has lost an o.

[quote user="Mme poivre"]

The thing that drives me really mad is when the kids at school all write 'u' instead of you because that is what they use all the time on their phones and computers.  Arggggg!!!

[/quote]

... and with texting vowels may hardly be seen again.

I am ashammed as somwon that did lots of prood readink put I am veri lazi an canot bee boverd to git mi Orfers an Prinnters Dickshunery out if i ham nut beeing payed.

I kepe findink literawl zin bookz.

Fing iz az lorng az pepul unnerstan u iz eet necesari?

Eye now itz nut gud butt eet aynt thee enn ov thee wurld - sumtimes itz beta to ignorr the nasi spillin polis.

A nuvver fink iz tipograffi thit iz importan two ann allso whin  peepul dunna leeve spacz inbtween pawagwaphs an know lit up btwin centences fings cun bee dificul two reed.

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="sparkapuss"]When did the letter H, "aitch" become haitch?[/quote]

Being of a Northern persuasion, I can tell you that there are certain areas where this has been prevalent for a long time. Indeed I recall an incident from my schooldays where a fellow pupil, as part of something we were doing for a school assembly, had to sweep majestically onto the stage and declaim "Open up Hell Gates!" - just this ONE line. After a surfeit of rehearsals, she was finally getting it more-or-less correct. Come the day, reversion to type occurred .... "HOPEN HUP ELL GATES!"
You had to be there, I suppose ...

[/quote]

Pickles - do you come from "'ull, 'ell or 'uddersfield"?

I used to teach remedial readers in Hull and gave up on the haitch, and joined them.

Re "like" - this has long been a part of the geordie lingo, eg " d'ye fancy 'im like?"

[quote user="Patf"][quote user="Pickles"][quote user="sparkapuss"]When did the letter H, "aitch" become haitch?[/quote]

You had to be there, I suppose ... [/quote]

Pickles - do you come from "'ull, 'ell or 'uddersfield"?

I used to teach remedial readers in Hull and gave up on the haitch, and joined them.

Re "like" - this has long been a part of the geordie lingo, eg " d'ye fancy 'im like?"[/quote]

This story is from t'other side o't'Pennines ...

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="powerdesal"]Is it very difficult to learn the difference between 'loose' and 'lose' ?

[/quote]Guilty as charged - I have a real problem with this and stare at it for hours trying to decide if I've written it correctly or not (mind you I do that a lot with my spelling which is cr*p and no, I don't mind in the least if people give me tips as to how to do it better, as long as they're not patronising or rude in the process.)[/quote]

duplicated answer