Did I just do something stooopid?

woolybanana

Well, there I was, selecting delightful ladies to chat to, and concentrating on one in particular who was, well, just right. And then I looked more closely at the age difference and froze, then said au revoir. Because she was 14 years younger than me and I felt spooked.

Am I mad, do I have scrupules about seeing some younger person being stuck with me in a few years when my bits are failing and she can't or won't go away? Or should I go for it and what the hell....?

I watched a program on the Playboy empire and more particularly Hugh Hefner, he was in fact the married man with kids before embarking on his decadent lifestyle, they interviewed on of his ex's now hers[6]elf in her 50's, I think she was 18 or so and he in his 50's when he propositioned her, she said "I am worried about the age difference, I have not been out with anyome over 24 before", Heff replied "dont worry neither have I!" [:D]

My ex was 16 years younger than me and it was never a problem, sometimes when she was spoiling for a fight or looking for a way out she would bring it up though. She recently told me that her new man is older than me [:P]

Go for it Wooly, my father was 15 years older than my mother and 20 years older than my step-mother (not a divore my mother died) and they were both excellent relationships, he remained single until he was 33 and had over 25 years with each of them.

What site are you using if I may ask?

Editted, I will probably get some real stick from the girls for this but here goes nothing:

Wooly I think I can estimate your age, if I am right then a woman 14 years younger than you will already have had some vital bits (for procreation at least) fail in the general coure of nature whereas as your banana I expect still functions quite well after a fashion [:P]

So what are you worried about?

Hello Wooly :)

To give you a direct answer to the subject line: Yes. It seems a bit stooopid to me to dismiss somebody based on their age. Some might even think that ageist (some might even be able to spell it [;-)])

I'm about that much younger than Mr A... I know people of my age who I find 'old', yet have close friends who are 20 years older than I am.  It's to do with outlook rather than the date on a birth certificate.

Follow your instinct.  Be happy.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Am I mad, do I have scrupules about seeing some younger person being stuck with me in a few years when my bits are failing and she can't or won't go away?

You are kind of rushing your fences aren't you ? Isn't it a bit premature to worry about this yet ? Have you actually met her ?

[/quote]

Well, yes RH, at one level I am, but it seems wrong to start with someone and then back away on those grounds.

Well Woolly, it takes two, I'm sure if the person in question doesn't want to proceed for whatever reason, they will let you know.

And I guess we all know of partnerships where there was a substantial age difference and the younger one died first.

Bit like Joan Collins said when asked if she was worried about her present much younger husbands age 'if he dies, he dies'[;-)]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="woolybanana"]

Now here is another conundrum - the lady expects me to give up my dogs. This I will not do, not for anyone, noone, not even for the Great Goat God Bobo. They are far too precious!

So, another lady bites the dust!

[/quote]

Perhaps, Wooly, it's because they sleep IN your bed with you[Www]

I have just been involved in a dispute on another forum where one of the posters declared that he will not be coming to the race this year because his new wife "won't let him." Now, I give this marriage a few years at the most (I wasn't quite that blunt with the poor little lad) because the moment you try to tell somebody not to do what they enjoy then it's the beginning of the end.  No relationship was ever improved by one partner trying to change another.

You are better off without her.  There are plenty more bananas on the tree.

Chris is my 'toyboy'. Been married 22 years! So what if I get my pension before him!

I would never dream of asking him to give up his love of classic American cars, or the love he has for the '50s. On the other hand, my own renovated 1950's kitchen cupboard is ideal in France!

Feel comfortable in your skin and go for what feels right! As was said, a true partner would never expect you to give up anything!

Have a great life! It goes too quickly! x