The next target group will be pensioners

NormanH

In the process of shifting blame for the consequences Neo-Con economic madness onto others  we have seen the unemployed,  benefit 'fraud', the disabled, and the EU all accused.

There was also the history of blaming the last Labour government (poor old Gordon Brown) then the Lid Dems in the Coalition, and then the EU

Now that Brexit has won and Europe is no longer in the line of fire it looks as if it will be the retired who are going to be blamed next..

From an article today

" the next big decision for baby boomers will be how to pay for their pensions when my generation pack up their bags to abandon the sinking ship that the U.K. has just become."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, statistically, pensioners are the group who have voted for Brexit in the largest numbers. I can't be bothered to find it, but something like 85% of the under-30's voted to remain. On average, pensioners will live about 16 years with the consequences, whilst the younger generation will live the rest of their considerably longer lives paying for the results.

I, for one, don't have any problem with younger voters blaming the older generation. The majority of the older generation do, indeed, bear a lot of the responsibility. It remains to be seen what will happen next, but getting a t-shirt printed that says "It wasn't me" seems a good plan.

[quote user="NormanH"]In the process of shifting blame for the consequences Neo-Con economic madness onto others  we have seen the unemployed,  benefit 'fraud', the disabled, and the EU all accused.

There was also the history of blaming the last Labour government (poor old Gordon Brown) then the Lid Dems in the Coalition, and then the EU

Now that Brexit has won and Europe is no longer in the line of fire it looks as if it will be the retired who are going to be blamed next..

From an article today

" the next big decision for baby boomers will be how to pay for their pensions when my generation pack up their bags to abandon the sinking ship that the U.K. has just become."

[/quote]

Good.

The generation that ffcked the economy up.

The generation that ffcked the housing market up.

The generation that says "Im alright, Jack" while sitting pretty on their gold plated final salary pensions.

The generation that has now ffcked up the future of those behind them.

For what? for a bit of Rule Brittania tub thumping, and dreams of a return some kind of mythical pre EU Glory Days?

The headlines are full of stories about the richest loosing 8 figure sums overnight, well boohoohoo for them, but I see nothing about how this mess is starting to affect us "little people".

Peronally I have just had six weeks worth of work cancelled by a client due to "uncertainty". A guy I know was talking about a girl at his workplace yesterday in tears all day as her husband had just had his job offer retracted due to "uncertainty" which has skuppered their imminant house purchase plans.......

Its starting, and its not going to stop any time soon.

I hope the imbeciles who voted to leave live long enough to see how badly their decision hurts their own children and grandchildren.

Dave

I too am heartily sick of the pile of excrement this site has technologically become. But please do not go, I value your inputs

PS mods I am going to report this post in the probably vain hope that you will pass this on to our media relations expert (or whatever she called herself) to get off her derriere and do something about this dreadful amateurish attempt at a professional web forum.

It's not just crApple. I am using Microshite and have the same problem.

It really is a disgrace that the forum owners have let this smoulder for years and have not addressed the issues.

your solution works but is incredibly inelegant in a world of instant communication - copy/paste is so yesterday.

[quote user="AnOther"]I suspect you're using crApple ?

Not exactly the answer I know but next time don't use the quote button, copy the text then paste it between the conventional HTML tags of quote /quote - with brackets of course [ ]

[/quote]

Pray tell what's wrong with using an Apple MacBook Pro 13 like I have?? [8-)]

Is it just that those who don't have one are jealous of those who do [:-))][6]

I have to agree on the forum quality, or lack of it. It seems to have been improved until it's almost near perfectly unusable. What more can one ask [Www]

[quote]suspect you're using crApple ?

Not exactly the answer I know but next time don't use the quote button, copy the text then paste it between the conventional HTML tags of quote /quote - with brackets of course

[/quote]

So, there you go, Mr Other....that's what happens when I do exactly what you described, on an iPad. It makes absolutely no difference to the result. And just for the record, when I used to use my laptop to browse the forum, the quote button didn't work for me either. I can't make anything into a link, either. And yes, I know several ways of doing it so should be able todo that too. This,however, is the only forum where none of the various options to quote or link seem to be operable, whether on iPad, kindle or laptop, whether on Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Silk or Edge.

These days the only way I can make quotes is by logging in via Firefox...the mods have agreed for a long time and reported it at various times too.....

Sorry we can' t help with this...

And even sorrier about the referendum result...I swear if one more person on Facebook tells me to 'suck it up' or 'we are all in this together' I won't be responsible for my actions :-(

[quote user="Russethouse"]And even sorrier about the referendum result...I swear if one more person on Facebook tells me to 'suck it up' or 'we are all in this together' I won't be responsible for my actions :-([/quote]

I used to have an account on farsebook and kicked it in the head. That and pratter, or twit or whatever it's called, are of no interest to me. OK, I know that some can't live without them [:(]

Almost 3 million now and counting.. I just wonder what would happen if that count exceed the opt outers???

[quote user="NickP"]Makes me laugh all this finger pointing and blaming old age pensioners, fascists, uneducated etc. etc. the people to blame are the 13 million who didn't vote, and that includes lots of youngsters.[/quote]

Good point Mind you some of them may have died after registering to vote.

I wanna t-shirt - in rainbow colours - with 'Nothing's ever my fault' on it...

As for pensions - anyone read this report -

Professor David

Blake, Director of the Pensions Institute at the Cass Business School,

has written a paper outlining 10 reasons why staying in the EU ranges

from "pretty bad to very, very bad" for pensions. 

His

devastating analysis came as new research has revealed

that just one EU directive due to come in shortly will increase the cost

of British pensions by £328 million a year.  Read it, understand the implications; and then realise that for the younger generation remaining in the eu could have been far more devastating for them.

Be careful with the finger-pointing at the older age-group as well - indulge in that and there's 3 fingers pointing towards you.   The reason the eu failed was due to ever-increasing power grabs by brussels.   They couldn't stop themselves.   Don't forget also that the older age-groups were the ones that were lied to originally, that have been lied to for years - and who have enough life experience to realise the destruction caused to their lives, their jobs and their country by those who chose not to listen.

Yes, there are personal stories at the moment of life throwing hiccups - but it does that.

Didn't hear of any tears from anyone on here about the loss of jobs at Ford Transit when British workers were thrown out of their jobs and those jobs moved to Turkey -WITH eu funding... explain that;  how about a few tears for those people employed with families and mortgages to support - go on - let's have tears for them.

And many others - shall I list them ?

Maybe not - but I could;  and it is more than likely that those 1,000s of British workers had families to support, children going to uni, plans for moving to a larger home or to start a family - and the long list I could provide - has at its core - eu funding to move jobs FROM the UK to places like Turkey, Malaysia, Spain - it's a long list - but the eu is implicated in destroying British jobs - 1,000s of them - and the families.

So yes, we'll hear the tear jerking story of one family who is known personally to one forum member - but there are thousands out there - affected by eu funding to move jobs FROM the UK - but because they were the shop floor workers, the production teams, the manufacturing lot - didn't hear one tear-jerking story about any of them, did we ?

Sometimes it seems the sympathy is so one-sided.   Yes, there are going to be difficulties;  OK someone can't buy their new house at the moment - maybe that's a good thing because interest rates seem to be going down even more;  3 months time the money-lenders will be giving out mortgages with 0% interest.

And house-prices are, supposedly, going to come down by about 20% - win, win I'd call that.