Stormy, chucking it down, cold and high winds

It is 'orrible here today. I have the heating on and will not set foot out again if I can help it. The snow is down to around 500 metres too. And friends said that the wind was gusting at 120 on the Cote d'Azur, although they didn't say whether it was knots, miles or kms. I hope it is just kms, as otherwise that would be very bad.

Well here in 66 we have had some snow too! our elderly neighbour(aged about 80) was out taking photos and said to Mr O that the last time it snowed in April was 1964. It is flippin` freezing and our terrace that I usually boast has some incredible temperatures and clear sea views, has black clouds over it , the sea is even darker and the wind has whipped some left out washing onto accross roads roof! anyone got a long ladder ?

Oh and Mr O is in the garrage chopping wood to keep me warm, bless him! Mrs O

You know what, I blame Piprob!!

Recovered the flyaway clothes, they dried out and blew to a lower level. That said ,it is a glorious day today....if you are deaf! the sky is a wonderfull blue and the sun is brillaiant but the wind is howling. been to a nearby village this morning an there are bits of trees blown all over. Have just looked at the meteo. 65kmh winds with gusts to 110kmh.Our Catalan neighbour said something this morning about 8 th April and muttered a year, indicating that that the weather is similar...will do a search later to see if I can find anything.  Oh and the circus is cancelled due to the wind! Mrs O

In 53 we had as much snow yesterday as we have had on any one day through the winter, I just put it down to global warming and the greenhouse effect!

Sorry Miki but this years Premiership just doesn't do it for me in the same way that in 62 or 63, the Blues under the Doc won promotion to the first and I have to admit to running onto the pitch in celebration, did.

weedon

In Normandy we've had to light the woodburner again (we thought we'd finished for the year) but at least we have blue skies and sunshine.

The longer I live in France the more amazed I am by the autumn, spring and winter weather further south than us - it seems that it's only the summer that it is more likely to be better the further south you go!!

<<The longer I live in France the more amazed I am by the autumn, spring and winter weather further south than us - it seems that it's only the summer that it is more likely to be better the further south you go!!>>

Tell me about it!!!

What surprises me is local people's insistence that all your garden and house planning should be based on dealing with the summer heat.   The neighbours have a row of 40-foot high trees about 5 metres from the back of our house, so all winter we get no sun in the house, and it's cold and claustrophobic.   But what does everyone say?   You'll be glad of the shade in the summer!!!  

True, we usually have 3 months of what you might call real summer, but that leaves 9 months of non-summer!   The other three seasons I'd say were roughly..... 3 months extreme cold (sometimes colder than places a LOT nearer the Arctic circle!), 3 months of much-the-same-as-Britain, and 3 months lovely Spring/Autumn.   Mix in a few bouts of impressive tropical rain and flooding, and there you have it, the south of France as only the residents know it!   

SB (in sunny 34)      

"What surprises me is local people's insistence that all your garden and house planning should be based on dealing with the summer heat."

Absolutely, SB. Even up here in the chilly northwest people seem to have something mediterranean about their attitude to the sun. I had to smirk when we had a few days of unseasonal warmth lately and many of our neighbours closed their shutters during the afternoon like you would during an August heatwave. Though maybe they all have priceless oil paintings hanging in their salons?