London attacks

"....Hi Albi - i was just wondering why the two had 'ganged up'. Mucky said in one post he had a stalker but i'm beginning to think Ducky is actually his admirer."

Oh dear Lavie has jumped in bed up with albi, yer 'aving a grin, now how can anyone take them seriously !

Cheers Tresco, I do try to assist quite genuinely as you point out but as you also say, it gets to be a struggle sometimes when you find that some people want to pick up on silly small points and jump in on something that really had nothing to do with them. Renaud has rightly called it a day and me with him but, still one has to defend against someone with who it had absolutely sod all to do with and that really isn't too clever.

Anyway, back from "a local bit of a do" The posts had a good'un and drank sensibly. Madeleine had the last word on her luvverly barnet, ravishing it was, or was that the moules ? too much Ricard et cidre but hey, I'm hintergreating and Saturday, yet annuvver chance to take the posts out for a shant and learn a bit more patoisio

Nelson, I think maybe you are probably right and so if this can be the end, then OK by me.......

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miki - i fear your reply is encouraging a response from Lavie as you insult him/her again.("...really isnt too clever")

But Nelson is definitely right - please, please, PLEASE let this be the end!

And Lavie, please don't take the bait! (I've sent you PM.)

I can't remember who asked, but I was back in London today, I found it very moving to walk out of Kings Cross tube and pass the floral tributes. My meeting was just up the Caledonian Road on the banks of the canal and just before 12 everyone in the building gathered in the court yard for the two minute silence. It wasn't totally silent, there was some traffic noise and shouting from somewhere.

The journey back to Paddington between 3 and 4 was a tad fraught. Metropolitan trains had to terminate at Baker Street due to a fire with toxic fumes at Wembley and we spent a very warm 10 minutes sitting outside the station waiting for the platform. I couldn't help but wonder how those poor folk last week had coped. I had to change to the Bakerloo line for the final bit to Paddington and as I started up the Paddington stairs... we were evacuated. I got my train with about 2 minutes to spare and as we left the station, the owner of a bag left in coach C (where my seat was) was asked to reclaimed it. But, all in all, it was a much better day than some people had last week.

Sadly I couldn't stay for the Trafalgar Sq event tonight.   

I find it odd and strangely discomforting that the dates of both the London and New York attacks sound very much like the start of some macabre childrens' nursery rhyme or playgound chant - seven-seven, nine-eleven ..........

A while ago on this thread RayB said >>...We in the free world have the privilege of voting... ...that is what freedom is all about...<<

and Will the Conqueror said >>...One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter...<<

So much is said about 'FREEDOM' that I will quote from my favorite 70's group 'Crosby, Still, Nash & Young' from one of their song :

>>>...Find the cost of freedom burried in the ground...<<<

These so-called freedom fighters that have disrupted life in London, Madrid, NewYork and wherever else have certainly achieved one thing :

They have put up the cost of that freedom for their "brothers" by taking away with them so many innocent people but not actually achieved freedom itself.

When will they? and are they? going to stand up, stop for a moment and reflect to understand that the freedom they so much seek, is achievable in a more peaceful way...

If you haven't heard, at least 6 bombs have gone off in central London this morning, on the tube and buses. Please check the news for the latest information

Can I just remind people that this is the first post on this thread.

Its about an attack in London were many people died and many hundreds of people were injured.

Miki, Lavie, Dick could you not give this thread back its dignity and conduct your petty squabbles somewhere else.

regards colin

WELL SAID COLIN!!!

Thank goodness it seems as though we are back on the right thread.  I can't believe that out of the last 65 postings less than 10 referred to the original subject.  And to think that at the beginning of this thread I had been told I was being disrespectul and playing a cheap shot by referring to our illustrious leader as "President".  A minor offence I believe, compared to all this petty squabbling which IMHO has shown the UTMOST DISRESPECT for those that died, were injured or have spent the last week doing probably the most unpleasant job of their lives, trying to retrieve the bodies.   A little more thought for them would not go amiss!!

Coco I totally agree with your comments, let's get some dignity back on this tragic subject. In the past I have voiced my views about going off subject only to be told that that is the purpose of Forums. On this occasion I find it very strange that not one moderator has not opened up another thread for the postings not applicable on what must be regarded as a very sensitive topic.

On many other Forums, Administrators or Moderators often open up new threads or post to other threads when relevant. Why not here?

Baz

On come the self policing bunch.

Look for goodness sake, those of us that had the squabble, said that we agreed we should return to the original thought. So please for goodness sake, what do you want us to do, beg for mercy?

These things happen and when I was crying out for help with the starving kids, I met with with an awful lot of hostility as well but that's how forums go. Should they split all forum threads that go off at a tangent ? if so, don't think of a holiday you mods, you won't even have time for a day trip to the coast.

We said we should get it back to the original and did so and that surely should have been it. I note one person who quoted about this has been well known to go off on quite a tangent themself on occasion. Look inwardly before giving verdicts, sure we realised we had overstepped an acceptable length of dispute and so agreed to stop. Now some of you come on to simply start it all up again, and whatever you now say, that's correct.

Whether you want to put an excuse as to why you brought it all up again, that is what has happened as far as I am concerned. All this holier than thou can p**s me off. I feel for everyone of those dying kids and all those poor people that lost their lives on the tube and buses and possibly even more, for the ones that they leave behind. So don't ever think I was not thinking of them all the time and never intended to be disrespectful.

[quote]Just come through on Reuters that the 'mastermind' behind the attacks may have been detained in Egypt. Seems as though he left the country 2 weeks (!!) before the bombings.[/quote]

** Seems as though he left the country 2 weeks (!!) before the bombings.**

Not conclusive in and of itself since he is from Egypt and school was over. Time will tell. I am very pleased to see the fine job the authorities are doing and the international help they are getting. They are all to be commended.

The BBC is confirming that the man arrested in Egypt is the man that Scotland Yard were looking for.

The officer in charge of the investigation, Sir Ian Blair, suggested in a TV interview today that the events of last week have shaken parts of Britain's Muslim community out of a 'mild denial' of the threat of this fundamentalism, and that the only answer to terrorism lies in the communities in which they operate c-operating with the police and rejecting them. An outcome most fervently to be desired.

On another tack, have a look at werenotafraid.com, gallery 104 for my rather paltry effort. Clue: it's the pint of beer.

[quote]If you haven't heard, at least 6 bombs have gone off in central London this morning, on the tube and buses. Please check the news for the latest information Can I just remind people that this is t...[/quote]

** trying to retrieve the bodies.**

I can't even think about doing that job but it must be done. When you think about the time element, mostly darkness, the smell and then there are the rats. I know they have breathing apparatus and protective clothing but how do they handle the emotional aspect? They get a lot of respect from me.

Ray - I don't know if you can access it from France, but there was a long article on this in The Times Online this week. The conditions are so bad that the workers only do 6 hours at a time, and need frequent de-stress periods, usually with the teams within which they work. A great deal is made of mutual support after they come out, and it seems they rely on traditional methods (ie beer) to try to relax. I don't know whether or not they get 'counselling', and I'm not sure how it could help, but support from their friends and a lot of beer probably do.

I must say that I can't even begin to imagine what they go through. Imagine being in a biological protection suit, 60 degrees C, dark, confined and then the emotional aspects of what you will find - not the flesh and bone, but the little bits of everyday flotsam that show that a person was there once. I'm claustrophobic enough to only use the tube when I have to in any case, but I'd lose my mind, I think.

Incidentally - and very movingly - each victim is being given a full obituary in The Times. Another little mark of respect which lends even more dignity to the public response and further denies the aims and objectives of the fanatics.

[quote]Ray - I don't know if you can access it from France, but there was a long article on this in The Times Online this week. The conditions are so bad that the workers only do 6 hours at a time, and need ...[/quote]

**Ray - I don't know if you can access it from France, but there was a long article on this in The Times Online this week.**

Yeah, I can and read either it or one similar. There is no way in the world I could do it.

A hundred years ago when I first got out of the Navy, I was a County Deputy Sheriff and had to attend some god-awful car wrecks. It was the children that really got to me.

Enough . . . too many bad memories!

[quote]To discover what the change is don't look to the 'terrorists', they merely fire the bullets. One has to look higher, the bullet makers My apologies, cyclebum, I'd assumed you were out of your teenag...[/quote]

Never done a quoted reply, hope this works.

Why did you assume that? And why post that? What do you mean?

From everything I've read about the terrorists, they have been recruited from within the Muslim community by extreme fundamentalists. As a democracy, we leave people to preach and practice as they wish, but surely the time has come when this can no longer be tolerated? Because of it's extremist elements, isn't it time to monitor what is practiced and what is preached? It may help save otherwise normal muslims from being brainwashed into becoming suicide bombers - and of course, their potential victims.

This monitoring system is in use in other countries (e.g. Turkey) and is seen as essential and welcomed by an overwhelming majority. I've no idea how it could be done within our "democratic" system, but one way or the other, some drastic action is long overdue.

Linda

This monitoring system is in use in other countries (e.g. Turkey)

And yet sadly there was a bomb blast on a minibus full of tourists in Turkey yesterday, in which a British woman died.   Suspected female suicide bomber this time, and the 10th attack in Turkey this year.

I can't imagine how you stop suicide bombers, apart from sniffer dogs and airport-type security absolutely everywhere.   And bombs don't even have to be big anyway - one of the earlier ones this year in Turkey, which killed a policeman, was in a cassette player.   Another, which left about 20 injured, was in a drinks can.

I don't know why they do it.  But I won't be going to Turkey for my hols. 

[quote]Another aspect I find disappointing is the unjustifiable reaction that then follows (from some) against ethnic and religious groups (who publicly denounce such acts) For example, a comment from anoth...[/quote]

That was Me Diemos.  I stated it was totally irrational, and if you had quoted the entire thread, I went on to say that they would probably be very nice family men, and absolutely harmless.

This was just my personal feeling after these attacks, it does not mean that I am anti-Muslim, Arab, or indeed anti anything, except terrorists who take innocent lives in the name of their religion.

" don't know why they do it.  But I won't be going to Turkey for my hols"   Which is why they do  bomb, we do not go on holidays the country does not get the revenue, the country turns to chaos, the extremists  gets in, and women cant show their ankles etc
Im guilty I would not take my family there either