Dear Forum Members,

Firstly, I am new to this forum, so I apologise in advance for any incorrect postings. I take it that this is a more serious forum than one or two others I've been on.

We are hoping to move to France early next year.

I'm sure that a lot of these questions have been answered before. I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to answer them for me, however?

I am sure that this forum will be useful to us and any information that we find (due to our particular circumstances) we will, of course, pass on.

Car in France

I have a Rover 416Si (1600cc) which is 'J' Reg

What would (the French eviquivalent) Road Tax cost per annum?

Do they have an MOT equivalent?

About how much does it cost?

Amy idea what it would cost to insure the vehicle?

How does Health cover/insurance work in France?

What sort of taxes are there involved in France?

(Any idea of cost would be useful)

--Rates/Land tax

--House insurance/contents

--Other taxes

I do realise that a lot of these may be regional. We are looking at moving to (North West Brittany, initially).

Many thanks for any information.

Take care,

Peter

Hello and welcome Peter!

You may want to split your questions up and post them under the topic headings of "Vehicles in France", "Health" and "Owning French property" (or whatever it's called). Then folks can respond to a partular question which they feel qualified to answer.

There is no road tax in France and the french equivalent of the MOT is the Controle Technique which lasts for two years. We have a ten year old car, a transit and a mobylette and our insurance for all three (car is fully comp) is around 600 euros per annum but see below!

Health/dental/eye care isn't free in France. If you have been paying NI stamps in the UK for the last two/three years or are getting a UK pension you may be entitled to free cover for a couple of years to get you into the French health system. This entitles you to up to 70% of your treatment cost. Most people take out a top-up insurance to cover the rest. There is an excellent article on Health care and entitlement on www.frenchentree.com and you could also trawl the Heath topics here.

You are right, taxes (and insurances) etc vary from region to region. Property taxes vary enormously - we are in very rural Charente where insurances/taxes are comparatively low but it would be a very different matter if we lived in Paris or the South of France. Have no idea about Brittany - sorry.

Loads of infomation on this forum (and French Entree) so happy reading/researching and best of luck with your move.

The thing you need to remember is the cost of living in Francce is equal to that of the U.K. It's just adding up all the costs and not looking at the cheap things. Domectic bills are far higher, no road tax but then there are tolls ( we spend at least 300€ a year) on the motorway. Water can be very expensive depending on your location/supplier.

Health cost can be high. Insurance 50€ ( a good package) a month and this will not cover illnesses you already have if moving here.

If you plan to work, income tax is very high. Even for low wage earners.

No tolls here in West Brittany once you have passed Rennes thanks to the Duchesse Anne. Cost of living comparable to the UK these days and if you have to rely on a pension coming from the UK make sure you have some put by as the rate can drop like a stone (remember 1996). Taxes d'Habitation and Foncières are set by your local commune and are all different depending onthe rate set by the council and your own particular property circumstances. You should be better off though than the UK from what I hear people pay there these days but there are other expenses here like your health cover you must pay for. No road tax but if you insist on keeping UK plates on a UK car you have to return each year for an MOT if it is over 4 years old, here the MOT equivalent on a french car of 4 years and over is every two years. Car insurance probably a little cheaper but depending on the vehicle and driver details as insurance is tailored personally. Unless you plan to live right in the larger towns/cities here,there is no piped gas so you have to decide on your power for cooking and heating apart from the electric which is expensive in France. Once resident, utility bills come every two months with about 10 days in which to pay them or they cut you off without any warning. Also take into account the bigger distances you will have to travel to shop and the current fuel hikes which are the dearest I have seen here in the last 16 years. Water is metered and from what I hear is still cheaper in parts depending on the supplier than in the UK today. If you are looking to buy property, the coastal region is far more expensive than ten miles inland and further on than that and nothing much available under £90K+ to do up anymore near the sea.

Hi Peter

You any relation to Tony K who asked the same questions but in a different way last week?  Only Tony wanted a list drawn up,  you even have a similar signature sign off.........  however, if you are not Tony who already has the answers go to 

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=288&MessageID=203438&TopicPage=2 

Where Will and others answered many of your points in response to your namesake's questions

Dear All,

Firstly, I am not Peter Kay (whoever he is). I've been living in Australia for the last fifteen years and I don't have or want television.

Secondly, I am not related to anyone else on the forum but that shows how many of us need data of a similar nature!

Many thanks for your answers and help. A picture is emerging, however of costs in France. It seems to be rather the old swings and roundabouts.

I appreciate, as I said your help.

By the way, in case anybody asks, I found Western Australia pretty apathtic and boring, actually and had already intended to go to France but bought a cheap house in UK (right time and place!).

Regards

PeterK

Dear All,

With reference to Choccie's remarks, I am not getting locked into those, even the allusion that I must be boring. No-one knows anything about me but what I divulge.

As to Mrs. O, thanks for the reference but I will pass on that one as I have many other interests, all of a creative nature. I do not have time for the trivial.

Anyone interested may visit my web-site/s if they wish.

Kind regards,

Peter K. (as in Kenneth)

http://www.pksharpen.f2s.com

Sorry Peter,

I seriously don't want to be rude and I am sure in your own way, you may believe that you are one hell of a feller but this bit "I do not have time for the trivial" doesn't tie in with your website which is a load of........trivia for the most part, isn't it ?

Good luck in lifes long quest anyway.

I actually find this PeterK rather amusing. Didn't read like an extraordinary life, but not really an ordinary one either. The funniest thing is the boredom, I am bored at the moment. I'm all campagned out, can't hack it anymore.

Anyway, if he is intent on moving to France won't he be busily learning to parlez-vous.