First big frost

Lori

Woke up to a lovely (but cold) thick frost on the ground.  Here in Dept. 84 (Vaucluse) it is cold !  Had to turn the heat on last night as I was freezing my toes off.  The wind didn't help either.

Went out at 7:55 am this morning to take my daughter to the school bus stop and the car was completely covered in ice.  Had to scrape for a good 5 minutes to be able to see.  Oh well, I guess winter is here.  Seems early to me, but time flies - just had another birthday yesterday and have to wonder why does time pass so fast once we reach adulthood?  When you're a kid the days seem to go on forever.  After a certain age, they seem to pass in seconds..

Must get the woolies out and the winter duvet on the bed.

Same here in North Charente, Lori. Looked out of the window and thought it had snowed as everything including roof tops were (and still are) white!!

No pipes frozen up yet (we had a few last year) so maybe our extra insulation is working. Lovely and warm indorrs as woodburner stays in all night - we just leave the doors open and the warmth comes upstairs until heating switches on at 7am.

Take care on the roads folks. No gritting/salting in rural France and our commune has only just put the warning signs up.

Same here Gay, according to the weather forecast last night a hard frost was predicted for the whole of the U.K. with the exception of West Wales and Cornwall. I love this weather with sunshine and blue skies and could happily have a whole winter with days just like today.

Gill

I am speaking for my tiny weeny little bit of the Lot but the last thing we need is 'nice sunny frosty days'. We need rain - not just the odd day but days, weeks or even months of the Scottish soft kind. Still empty wells and this sunny every day stuff is making it worse. The tap water is undrinkable and we even got a rebate on our water bill so they know that we have real problems.

So, if you have too much of the wet stuff some time soon, pls send it our way as a cold sunny frosty winter is really the last thing we need and life could become very difficult.

Take care, I almost slid into the ditch on my walk today - luckily I had good walking boots and a hiking stick - only because it was still so frosty.

I nearly went cul over nichon. Not that it really translates like that but a little more vocabulary that you perhaps didn't need to know  (TU)

I love that.

I'm still wondering what SaligoBay was doing in the toilet though, (she must be tiny) and what was it that propelled her out with such dangerous velocity.

Cul over nichon - never heard the phrase - hilarious

Woke this a.m. (Sunday) to an even thicker frost, you'd swear it was snow !  I think this must be a sign of a cold winter ahead....best stock up the bucks for the outrageous fuel bill..

[quote]Cul over nichon - never heard the phrase - hilarious Woke this a.m. (Sunday) to an even thicker frost, you'd swear it was snow ! I think this must be a sign of a cold winter ahead....best stock up ...[/quote]

"....best stock up the bucks for the outrageous fuel bill.."

I fear you are right. The wholesale price of gas has doubled in the past week, not least because state-owned utilities (GdF, et al) have been buying heavily. The privatised utilities in the UK are already making noises about supply rationing (they have shareholders to worry about, after all, and are not about to pay up silly prices just to have their customers burn the stuff!). Not good news.

Mind you, the frosty garden and frozen duck pond did look rather charming this morning and work outside has certainly sharpened my anticipation of lunch.

Much amused by the 'pictures' of others going 'a over t' on ice or in the toilet (perhaps it was a large one)  I thought I would look in my French dictionary to see what the French say.  Apparently the phrase is 'cul par-dessus tete', which leads me to wonder if at some moment here in England someone misheard or misunderstood a certain word!     Now here in the south awaiting Arctic blasts of wind, and possibly snow, Thursday night/ Friday...

Julia