Re: Period of Reflection

I would be the first to admit that I don't always see eye to eye with Miki, and yes he is a bit of a dog with a bone at times, but he does make you think, some topics do need to go through an iterative process in order arrive at a considered opinion and often Miki facilitates that process.

Importantly he is prepared to stand up for what he believes in. Sometimes he's right and sometimes he's wrong but, where he agrees that he is wrong, he apologises.

You do have to respect his commitment to his views, his commitment to the forum and his commitment to France.

Altogether a sad day for the forum, so yes -

"Free the St Malo 1!"

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know too much about the situation and therefore do not think that Quillan has lost the plot.  Quillan and Miki do lock horns on many of an occasion and I often think that Miki is the more aggresive of the two.  However, they are both grown men and both come across as being very hard nosed which is fine they can both cope with the situation and it would take a fool to try and part the two of them. I have not heard from Miki and therefore do not know why he has been banned.  There have been posts of egoism and if Quillan is behind the banning of Miki on a personal basis I would be very disappointed.  Please guys, I like you both.  Close the curtains and sort it out away from the stage.  You are both good players.

The argument will now rest on who you believe. I have seen messages from both sides, and I stick by my sig line. Unless Miki did something in private (PM or email) that he is hiding he did not do anything that warranted a ban, and I would like to see which part of the t&c he has breached, with evidence.

I have been asked that, if I wish to discuss this, to do it in private. No. This is not to be done in corners and secret cabals, with non-disclosure of what people are alleged to have done. This is not a hole-in-the-wall matter.

I don't want to see posters like TU turned away, as much as I have objected myself to getting garbled and threatening messages from mods. I think most people agree, and the majority of feeling expressed seems to be that in this case the 'rules' have been applied, to say the least, with a lack of sensitivity.

The answer seems to be simple. Moderators who have the confidence of the forum members, people we can trust to act beyond personal interest, or any suspicion of such. The question is, are those the moderators we now have?

But then, of course, I should consider "You would be well advised to remember firstly who owns the forum and secondly who moderates it. In both cases it is not you."

So there you go.

I should have come back earlier to say this. I feel I made a slightly misleading post earlier, when I said Miki had been suspended for a month.

Miki has been banned 'indefinitely', but there is a way for him to return.

Miki has got a lot of guts. He also holds his hands up and apologises, but the terms under which he may possibly  be allowed back in one month were couched in such insulting and condescending tones that  while I would hope Miki returns, I doubt he will take them up.

I really don't think I would. I cant think of anyone I know who would.

Dick

You ask for evidence , it will not be forthcoming. Earlier in this thread I ask for proof about an accusation that was made this was never provided instead I was told to do my own research. I still think that it is for them that accuse to provide the proof.

Yes bring back Miki but do not be surprised if he tells you where to go.

regards colin

, There are about a dozen people that make the forum worth visiting, ofcourse for information it is first class whoever posts, but  I always search out certain posts and always make a bee line for Miki's posts, you cannot ban him. it wont be the same and the banter between Miki and Dick is as good as a good read.I think he should be reinstated and given community service i.e. be a moderator for four weeks .Something has to be done to bring him back.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]The argument will now rest on who you believe. I have seen messages from both sides, and I stick by my sig line. Unless Miki did something in private (PM or email) that he is hiding he did not do anything that warranted a ban, and I would like to see which part of the t&c he has breached, with evidence.

I have been asked that, if I wish to discuss this, to do it in private. No. This is not to be done in corners and secret cabals, with non-disclosure of what people are alleged to have done. This is not a hole-in-the-wall matter.

I don't want to see posters like TU turned away, as much as I have objected myself to getting garbled and threatening messages from mods. I think most people agree, and the majority of feeling expressed seems to be that in this case the 'rules' have been applied, to say the least, with a lack of sensitivity.

The answer seems to be simple. Moderators who have the confidence of the forum members, people we can trust to act beyond personal interest, or any suspicion of such. The question is, are those the moderators we now have?

But then, of course, I should consider "You would be well advised to remember firstly who owns the forum and secondly who moderates it. In both cases it is not you."

So there you go.

[/quote]

Not much point to a forum (or moderators) if there are no members to post. 

I have also had sight of what was sent to Miki; Tresco was right. The message was condescending, patronising and insulting (quite like one I received myself over some alleged complaint - they don't tell you who made the complaint or what it was). I have been contacted by mods to discuss this, but only if I keep it private. I refused, I will discuss this on the forum or not at all.

Nelson - I think they must come clean on this. Who complained, mod or member? How many? What was the allegation? What was the evidence that it was true?

Just as a small point - how can Miki promise never to do it again if you don't tell him what it was he has done?

Dick I think you are getting carried away or should be[:D]  TU is not being turned away, she stated that she might take a voluntary break from the Forum, Nelson's problem is nothing to do with an accusation in a report or by a forum member, or concealment of a complaint by a moderator, it was to do with an issue in a post where he asked the poster, a moderator, to back up a statement.  Got any more petrol left in that can[:'(] 

In your classroom, what do you do to a kid who picks on another for no good reason at every opportunity, challenges you at every opportunity, takes up 75% of your time to the detriment of others and then refuses to shut up and keeps arguing with you, of course you support him and let him get on with it don't you?  I don't think so[Www]

I believe that you get one at no extra charge when you book a stay at a certain B&B in the St Malo area. They are quite rare though and can be a bit volatile so need to be treated with care - don't mention certain words like outcast, buffoon, thatcher etc (or especially not mac1003).

[quote user="Will "]I believe that you get one at no extra charge when you book a stay at a certain B&B in the St Malo area. They are quite rare though and can be a bit volatile so need to be treated with care - don't mention certain words like outcast, buffoon, thatcher etc (or especially not mac1003).[/quote]

Did he also have a bad experience at a zoo then? our car was attacked at Knowsley safari park by a buffoon. Luckily I had an experienced driver in Le Bouffon![:P]

SB - Promo at Lidl.  Buy one get one free.[;-)]

This is an internet forum - not real life.  Who are all these daft people hitting their report buttons - maybe Miki does go On and on and on and on when he feels done down.   He, Dick (sorry still love the 'utter gorrocks'), Quillan et al can be tediously 'right' when someone doesn't agree with them but there is another - maybe radical - solution ...... turn off your computer and go and do something else for a while.

Free Miki - no one gets banned from a pub for sometimes being boring.  Most of the time he's entertaining, but you know what the poor chap is like when he has one post too many.  TU don't go away, you are the only person who seems to agree that genteel 'French' poverty is downright boring not frightfully chic.  Moderators - don't envy you your job -you can't do anything right, but try not to go power mad.

Everybody else - repeat after me THIS IS AN INTERNET FORUM - it is entertaining, informative, addictive, irritating in equal measures - but it is not real life.  If anyone is very unhappy with it - simply turn off computer, go down the pub, do the garden, walk the dog, run round the block or cook the dinner.  If you don't look in here for a few days or, indeed, forever the world will keep turning.   If you don't like threads don't read them, if a person you don't know (and who may be someone completely different from the persona they are presenting) says something you don't like, ignore it.  

The forum was fun and useful but it is becoming like a playground slanging match - he did, no he didn't - and risks closing itself down through sheer tedium

I'll just take my own advice, turn off the computer and come back later when you've all sorted it out.

Maggi

I have kept my nose out of a few posts recently - as I'm not one for any sort of confrontation & could see, by the direction a certain post was going, there would be trouble.  Banter, joking & a darn good laugh are all part of this forum - I didn't expect to find bullying.  As in my humble opinoin this is what has happened to Miki & others, if this is indeed a personal vendetta, by one moderator.  I thought & hoped I had seen the last of this sort of behaviour when I left primary school.

Can I suggest a "Free Miki" t-shirt, if possible.  X Large, for me, please. 

[quote user="Cerise"]

TU don't go away, you are the only person who seems to agree that genteel 'French' poverty is downright boring not frightfully chic.  [/quote]

Hey, what about me?  I think so too!  [:)]

I'm off to Lidl now, I'll borrow a neighbour's trailer to bring back my collection of Mikis.

[quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Cerise"]

TU don't go away, you are the only person who seems to agree that

genteel 'French' poverty is downright boring not frightfully

chic.  [/quote]

Hey, what about me?  I think so too!  [:)]

[/quote]

Me too - it's only chic if you can choose to be 'genteel' (or not)...

Hastobe

I'm still having a great deal of trouble getting on here because the threads aren't appearing unless I use the quick scroll down bit to get to sections and then it says I'm not logged in when I am and have no right to use the forum. Anyway after working for a couple of weeks and not going on here, what do I find,utter chaos just like the parents leaving teenagers alone and then they have a party . I don't know what has been going on,but surely its something that can be gotten over and let the forum continue for those who WANT to use it observing all the protcols and rules. I would be sad to see people who have been on here for a long time disappear.

I've only just logged on after a few days in the garden and away from the PC...

I just cannot believe Miki has been banned or that he's apparently being asked to grovel to get back in... [8-)]

Miki has a robust posting style and does not shy away from asking anyone to back up their opinions. He has great conviction, is informative, amusing and sometimes boring... as are some others here.

That does not warrant a ban unless he has done something sly and underhand, which I very much doubt, in view of his most current posts.

I suppose the mods will simply wait for the whole thing to die down now...

I know what you mean Val_2 - I've been busy with other things lately and haven't spent anywhere near as much time as I usually do on this forum.  Every time I've popped in lately I find there's a scrap going on!  It's very confusing when you haven't been here watching it happen - it all seems very shrouded in mystery when you arrive after it's already over.

I really do hope it's sorted and Miki comes back.  I always read his posts avidly and to me he's a main character on this forum and it's the main characters who make spending time here a worthwhile passtime.

[quote user="SaligoBay"]Absafc, your signature says "Free Miki".   Where can I get one?  [:-))][/quote]

Are you sure you want one? Have you thought about what it would entail? Rarely agreeing with it but being forced to defend it wherever you go. My advice to you would be to get a lap dog instead. [:D]

I cannot believe anyone would be offended by the main players on this forum, I have always noticed that they give constructive advice on threads that require information and are light hearted when it is suitable,we have the same sort of banter at our local and sometimes it gets heated when to much of the red stuff is digested and I often think that happens on the forum  the later it gets in the evening the more contreversial it can become, but its great entertainment, if people want  a forum without any of this go to one of the others.Perhaps Miki will start up his own forum now and I think there would be a mass exedous,so get him back quick before all of us that love him get the hump.Its not the same without him already. Save Miki.

Ron - first thing, why, because I am a teacher, does everything I do have to be related to the classroom? Get over it.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't expel that child. I might just listen and see if they have a point instead of jumping on them, using insulting language, making conditions on coming back that I know they won't accept.

I want Eslier to have the courage to make his/her message to Miki public, so we can all judge what we are dealing with here. Miki made a joke (not very funny) about a mod. Another mod then bans him, for good, unless he grovels and promises never to transgress again. Is that a fair and proportionate response? I am told I can discuss this but only if I keep it private - hell, no. So a 'new mod' who, I suspect, none of us had ever heard of before becoming a mod, leaps in wearing hobnail boots and bans one of the oldest members of this forum. Funny. Or just plain incompetent, and unable to admit a mistake and put it right.

A question for Eslier (I wish I had a name - how fair is an anonymous moderator?) - how many mods agreed with the decision to ban Miki? How many disagreed? Did Admin know?

And, I didn't say TU was being pushed out, SHE said she was considering her position, I was referring to that.