Camilla and Carla what a dreary pair !

Thanks for the photos.  Yes the hat is a little Jackie Kennedy. 

Opas - I am trying to say 'Iz that a bermp?" like Inspector Clousseau.  That would set the cat amongst the pigeons, wouldn't it!  What would a Sarcozy - Bruni baby look like?

Couldn't help smiling at the Lunchtime News today - the cameraman positioned the shot of Sarkozy shaking hands with the Queen with a sign saying 'Long Stay' in the background.  Given the fuss about him opting to only stay one night ...........

Wonder what's on the banquet menu tonight.  Rosbif?

Had to grin to myself when M Sarkozy looked very awkward by almost over trying (not sure if there is such a word?) to do the right thing by allowing the Queen and Phillip to go first and they being the seasoned entertainers in protocol  insisting he take the lead.  Did Phillip whisper a silent 'cooooor/phwoooor' to himself when alighting his eyes on Carla - I thought she looked very chic and flatties were the right pick as she would have towered over the lot of them!  Apparantly he had asked to see the wine list before arriving in the UK - I thought he didn't drink, well, apart from his late/wobbly meeting with Putin.

[quote user="Cathy"]The menu is here: (You have to scroll down to the bottom)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/25/nsarko825.xml

Note - the chef is French (Raymond Blanc, albeit he has lived in the UK for 30 years).[/quote]

That's the menu for the lunch at the Emirates Stadium, hosted by the Prime Minister.

The menu for tonight's state banquet at Windsor Castle has not been made public yet.

The banquet will be prepared by the queen's chef, Mark Flanagan.

[quote user="Will"]

The Daily Mail has published a rather different picture of Carla here [;-)]

(not sure that they could be described as a dreary pair)

[/quote]

That picture reminds me of images from the war (2nd) when poor folks were liberated from camps run by the Germans. Her expression is something similar to a manifestation of pain. 

I thought Carla looked lovely (exactly my style, including the flaties), not so sure about Camilla, I don't like her style. I had to smile at Prince Phillip when he shook hands with Sarkozy, his eyes were already on Carla.

I was so pleased to see that our French visitors had the full treatment of pomp and circumstance. It's just so wonderful, and nobody does it better than the British.

Hoddy, I switched on the TF1 news at 2000 hrs especially to see the coverage. 

The top of the news was about a sports commentator who had died - like the BBC carrying David Coleman's demise as a headline - and went on for 10 mins as France was playing England at football and TF1 was carrying it after the news. 

Then came on the Sarkozys for all of 4 mins only. 

Done in 2 x 2 minute reports.  The first report highlighted Sarkozy's speech to Parliament - "we want you (the UK) inside Europe and not on the outside".  The second report was how the Brits love the French, going on holiday to France, our motto (Honi soit qui mal y pense etc) being in French, The Queen speaking in French when opening the Channel Tunnel etc.  A disappointment really.  I wanted more on Carla!  She was barely mentioned.

I loved the fact that M Sarkozy at the banquet was so thrilled to be there, he could hardly contain himself!!! He was grinning in all the wrong places when everyone else was looking stern and serious.

He had trouble stifling his cough during the Queen's speech which must have been terribly embarrassing.  I would have thought Carla was trying to look virginal so as to deflect the attention from herself and rightly so. We don't want Carla to become another Diana.

Georgina

I wanted more on Carla!  She was barely mentioned.

That was interesting Cathy to hear how the French reported it. Perhaps it's a positive sign for Carla, if she can avoid becoming an "idol" like Princess Diana was.

You can see the items from yesterday's news at 8pm here:

http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/jt/0,,3797859,00-journal-televise-mars-2008-20h-.html (choose the news item from the drop-down menu below)

http://jt.france2.fr/20h/ (choose the news item from the drop-down menu on the side)

http://www.france24.com/en/20080326-sarkozy-brown-discussions-state-visit-uk-france-united-kingdom&navi=EUROPE?q=node/968300 (click on play video below the picture)

I thought they were a breath of fresh air.Camilla looked like an out of date housekeeper and the picture that sums up Charlie is in todays Ouest France., the nearest description being a likeness to Harold Steptoe. In case you haven't guessed,I'm not a fan of the the pretender to the throne.

Regards.