B-----t Bonfires - again, and again, and again.....

chessie

I've had enough - I really and truly have had enough of France.

We're sitting in the house, on one of the hottest evenings of the summer - and ALL THE WINDOWS ARE CLOSED !!!

Because our neighbour, 200 yards away - has lit a flamin' BONFIRE - another one - this is the THIRD bonfire this week.

Every time they have a bonfire, we have to shut our windows.     No cooling breezes, no enjoyment of the crickets, or listening to the owls - nothing.    Windows are SHUT.

This is yet another of the 'Quaint' French customs I've had enough of - I really, really can't take much more.

I've complained and moaned on this site before about bonfires.   We don't feel we can complain - either to them or the Mairie - because our French isn't good enough.    Besides, they are French farmers aren't they - the rules don't apply to them, do they ?   The French don't regard any rules as applying to them, do they ?

And besides, we should be 'integrating' shouldn't we ?  And accepting their ways.

These bonfires stink to high heaven; now it smells as though it's plastic that is being burned because it has a horrible, acrid smell.   And if we are fortunate and no bonfire has been lit by about 9 or 10 pm, for some reason they then light a bonfire at about 12 midnight, and then the fumes waft in the open bedroom window and I've woken up choking at about 3 or 4 am before now.

edited by the moderators

I want to go home - problems and all - because this is just too much - it's horrible, revolting, disgusting, filthy, unhealthy.

You can keep France - it's not for us any longer.

I'm sick of the stinky, smoky, horrible evenings.

Rant over - now going to pack our bags !!!!

Chessie

Post edited by the moderators.

Please do not post messages which a
re insulting, abusive,

racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are

individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not.

Funny enough we had the same problem in rural England coupled with the rotting veg (cabbage etc) in the field behind us because the supermarkets wouldn't pay the price the farmer wanted.

Jaw jaw not war war. Try talking to somebody, if your French is not up to it simply invite the mayor down one evening for a drink and to see whats happening, a smell can say a thousand words.

I can't believe anyone would leave France for the sake of a bonfire without putting up with some sort of fight.

[quote user="chessie"]

I've complained and moaned on this site before about bonfires.   We don't feel we can complain - either to them or the Mairie - because our French isn't good enough.   [/quote]

Pardon my emphasis. But I think I see the problem.

My French is not good, but I haven't chosen to live there. I still made sure it was good enough for several functions, and talking to a neighbour or Mairie would indeed be one of them.

Would you have sympathy for,  lets say for example, an Indian Maa'm In UK who had never learnt English but felt 'done down' by a neighbour yet never complained?

John

[quote user="chessie"]

I've complained and moaned on this site before about bonfires.   We don't feel we can complain - either to them or the Mairie - because our French isn't good enough.   

[/quote]

Well you really do need to complain, because that is what the French do ... raler = complain. My French friends do not understand the concept of whinging to a forum but not actually complaining to the person who is causing your misery. In France you do have to stick up for yourself and voice your opinions - it is not easy for us hesitant- do-not-want-to-complain-English to appreciate the need to do this. You are backed up by your right in law, but first you need to make your point known, as Quillan so rightly says. Go for it, you will be surprised how much respect you will gain. And how it will affect your day to day life.

Sue

If the farmer is not conscious of what he is doing, then he needs his fesses botted; If he is conscious then he is a malicious bastard who needs a good sorting out by the commune or more.

Remember that loads of these farmers think only of themselves and see nothing beyond. It is their way of life.

[quote user="chessie"]

We're sitting in the house, on one of the hottest evenings of the summer - and ALL THE WINDOWS ARE CLOSED !!!

Because our neighbour, 200 yards away - has lit a flamin' BONFIRE - another one - this is the THIRD bonfire this week.

Every time they have a bonfire, we have to shut our windows.     No cooling breezes, no enjoyment of the crickets, or listening to the owls - nothing.    Windows are SHUT.

This is yet another of the 'Quaint' French customs I've had enough of - I really, really can't take much more.

I've complained and moaned on this site before about bonfires.   We don't feel we can complain - either to them or the Mairie - because our French isn't good enough.    Besides, they are French farmers aren't they - the rules don't apply to them, do they ?   The French don't regard any rules as applying to them, do they ?

And besides, we should be 'integrating' shouldn't we ?  And accepting their ways.

These bonfires stink to high heaven; now it smells as though it's plastic that is being burned because it has a horrible, acrid smell.   And if we are fortunate and no bonfire has been lit by about 9 or 10 pm, for some reason they then light a bonfire at about 12 midnight, and then the fumes waft in the open bedroom window and I've woken up choking at about 3 or 4 am before now.

edited by the moderators

I want to go home - problems and all - because this is just too much - it's horrible, revolting, disgusting, filthy, unhealthy.

You can keep France - it's not for us any longer.

I'm sick of the stinky, smoky, horrible evenings.

Rant over - now going to pack our bags !!!!

Chessie

Post edited by the moderators.

Please do not post messages which a
re insulting, abusive,

racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are

individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not.
[/quote]

Leo wrote;

Well said Chrissie,

Kind regards,

Leo

As other posters have said, if a complaint isn't made, a problem can't necessarily be appreciated.

If you can't manage to speak enough French, can you perhaps write it in English and get someone with good French to translate it for you. You could then hand a copy to your neighbour, so he will then know about the problem he's causing you, and if necessary you could give a copy to the Maire. It can't make things worse, and might make a big improvement.

If you try this, keep it short, simple and to the point.

You did sound very upset; I hope there aren't too many other problems you are facing just now.

Good luck,

Jo

I don't know where you are chessie, but we currently have a total ban on bonfires, check with the marie, perhaps.

Failing that a stick of explosive placed quietly in the bonfire before its lit may sort out your problem LOL.

Tennis balls are pretty good too.

Having given this some thought over night I would suggest that the OP goes and visits the mayor on a discovery mission. In our area it is illegal to have a bonfire this time of year due to the possibility of forest fires etc. Whilst you may not be near a forest its a departmental thing so it could be he is not allowed to have a bonfire. If that is the case then denounce him immediately to the mayor. If he continues then call the Pompiers every time he lights a fire, he will soon get the message.

If bonfires are allowed then check to see if there are any time restrictions in place like particular hours of the day when you can have one.

Try talking a little to the farmer, always try the nice way first if you can. If its your French then I am sure you can find somebody to translate for you, try the agent you bought the house through for example. We did the latter over a problem and our agent was very helpful. They (French agents) don't appear to be like UK agents, take the money and run type of thing.

If none of the above work then you should perhaps follow the route given by Gardengirl. If you want a letter translated in to French I am sure if you asked somebody on the forum would help you out. Don't forget to send the letter registered post, don't give it to him or use ordinary post or he could deny any letter.

Remember this, just because you are British it does not make you a fool and don't let them treat you as such.

It really could be a case of the farmer not thinking about anyone else.

It is very common round our way.

We have a next door neighbour who built a massive barbecue just the other side of our adjoining wall. This was done while we were away in England.

Every time they enjoyed a barbie we had to go indoors, close all windows and wait while our garden was full of smoke.

They used vine stalks and must have a taste for very fatty meat and the combination was awful. This drove us mad.

Eventually I got a ladder, propped it up on the wall, climbed up and told them to look at what they were doing to us.

It wasn't pleasant. I was shaking. Really don't like confrontation.

They were initially quite surly back but I stood my ground on the third rung with as much dignity as I could summon up.

Our other problem was caused by our neighbours opposite.

They decided that the best place to park their car overnight was not in their shortish driveway, certainly not in their perfectly adequate garage, and not in the designated "parking" 50 metres away from their house.

Oh, no. The place they chose was not even on the road in front of their own driveway.

Yep, you guessed it - exactly opposite our driveway.

Our road is very narrow (we live on a little lotissement) and we were struggling to get our car in and out but didn't want to make a fuss or enemies.

A couple of weeks ago Mr. Bubbles turned in in rather too cavalier a fashion and scraped our almost new car against our wall.

I saw red and tackled the neighbours.

They were charming and the problem no longer exists.

As I said, incredible though it seems, I think people are just oblivious to the effect they are having on others and just need to be told!!!

Tell them!!!!!!

200 yards is a very long way from a bonfire.

I always used to enjoy bonfires in my house in England  as did most of my neighbours, it was quite common for us to follow the aroma to share a drink with the owner of the fire on a summer evening, beer being one of the essential ingredients.

We all had respect for one and other and would never have a fire during the daytime whilst someone was hanging out their washing etc.

But 200 yards? Come on! we have probably 50 to 100 neighbouring properties within a 200 yard radius.

Farms do have bonfires and other sometime odious smells, its one of the joys or prices that you pay (according to your outlook) of living in the country. Perhaps the farmer thinks that he is respecting your sensibilities by starting his fires after 10pm?

As others have said start at your mairie, ours has an arrêt prefectorial (probably spelt wrong) that forbids them including garden waste which must be taken to the dechetterie, in nearly 5 years I have never seen any bonfires (nor have I lit any) at first I thought it was just quirky as I have also never ever seen anyone cleaning a car until I saw the poster at the mairie, so yes in my experience, the French (in my area) do respect the law and think that it applies to them.

Just to echo all the suggestions re a direct complaint.

A couple on our small 'estate' have a dog which is used for la chasse - sadly, it seems to be kept in an enclosure for most of the time, but that's the way it is. Recently it started barking incessantly from about 06.00 for several hours - everyone was being woken by it.

After a couple of days, I drafted a note in French, checked out the wording with our French neighbour and left it on their door (there was nobody in).  It wasn't anonymous - I left my name, house number and telephone number.

That evening I got a phone call from the owner - they were away on holiday and a friend was dropping by daily to feed & water the dog. He didn't actually apologise, but said that his friend would be taking the dog away that evening. He was true to his word.

The strange thing is that all our other neighbours were incandescent about the disturbance, but none of them could bring themselves to do anything about it. So, don't suffer in silence. Be direct, objective and non-confrontational. If that fails, Mairie etc.

[quote user="chessie"]Because our neighbour, 200 yards away - has lit a flamin' BONFIRE - another one - this is the THIRD bonfire this week.
[/quote]

Here is the arret prefectorial for Lot et Garonne.  If he hasn't declared the fires at the Mairie seven days in advance, he's breaking the law.  Call the pompiers every time, they get a copy of any declared fires.

Talk to the farmer in the first instance! (by letter, or face to face with someone to help you with translations!) before taking things "official".

It may be that he just isnt aware of the nuisance and a quick word could have this resoved amicably. If he doesnt play ball, then by all means involve the Mairie. If you jump straight in by denouncing him without contacting him first, chances are he will never forgive you for it. Thats how petty feuds escalate out of all proportion, and believe me, a farmer has all manner of ways at his disposal to make your life as miserable as he wants to, without even breaking any laws.