Nicholas and Carla

What is France coming to?

Scurrilous rumours are flying around about President Sarkozy and a karate champion, as well as his wife's alleged affair with Benjamin Biolay who just won the award for singer of the year by not-singing

[:)][:D]

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/people/trouble-in-brunisarkozy-paradise-20100310-pxte.html

http://www.suchablog.com/carla-bruni-avec-benjamin-biolay-nicolas-sarkozy-avec-chantal-jouanno

This sort of behaviour always seems to me acceptable and normal in France because usually both parties are at it.

In the UK/States there is normally only one who strays and one who is wronged, making things far more complicated.

Yes . . . but have you seen them? I'm no oil painting but one has standards don't you know. . . [8-|]

Nicolas-Sarkozy-and-Carla-Bruni-both-having-affairs.

Mrs Bruni-Sarkozy had become romantically involved with Benjamin Biolay, -- tatty old style, not exactly cat-walk material[:D]

Mr Sarkozy swiftly found solace in the arms of his 40-year-old ecology minister Chantal Jouanno, also a French karate champion,
--  does she look more like a lady boy or wot![:D]

Biolay sounds a very healthy pursuit.

This morning on Sky news on the red button there was a very strange interview with Carla Bruni. The body language and mini-man shut outside the house while she sang to her gutarist. Plus some weird knecking from the President. She didn't know the meaning of Rock and Roll. The interview may still be on Sky red button.

When they married my neighbour and I discussed a sweepstake as to how long the relationship would last.

[quote user="NormanH"]What is France coming to?
Scurrilous rumours are flying around about President Sarkozy and a karate champion, as well as his wife's alleged affair with Benjamin Biolay who just won the award for singer of the year by not-singing
[:)][:D]
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/people/trouble-in-brunisarkozy-paradise-20100310-pxte.html
http://www.suchablog.com/carla-bruni-avec-benjamin-biolay-nicolas-sarkozy-avec-chantal-jouanno
[/quote]

Norman it's Nicolas not Nicholas  [:P]

Why dangerous, its libel plain and simple (unless of course the journalist can prove otherwise), a journalist of all people should know better and I am fairly sure this one did.

Thankfully France has some sensible laws that prevent the publication of this sort of intrusion into someones private life.

I was saddened to see this topic raised on this forum but am pleased to see that it has been of relatively little interest to forum members (apart from comments on ugliness) even though there seems to be even less interest in the regional elections of our country.

The dangerous precedent is if Twitter gets sued.

It is not Twitters responsibility to monitor every single thing posted on it's site. It's impossible to do.

If Twitter gets sued for something beyond its control, then the internet could change drastically.

It's the journalist who should be sued. He made the comment, not Twitter.

I have never used Twitter myself but I agree with Mr. Coeur that it certainly shouldn't be their fault. Hopefully they have some sort of clause when you join Twitter to say they are not and cannot be responsible for verifying that all information on their site is true. I cannot imagine how they are meant to monitor everything said. [8-)]

[quote user="Chancer"]

I was saddened to see this topic raised on this forum but am pleased to see that it has been of relatively little interest to forum members (apart from comments on ugliness) even though there seems to be even less interest in the regional elections of our country.

[/quote]

What the President's wife is up to is of no interest to me and I can't imagine why it should be unless it effects his political performance which in turn has a direct effect on me personally. They could be both holding orgies every Saturday night for all I care.

Perhaps the fact that very few of us on the forum can vote in the regional elections may account for the lack of interest?

Anyway off to La Rugby Bar in Avenue du Docteur Arnold Netter (Paris). There are about eight of us, I doubt if you would miss us, so anyone is up for the game pop in and join us for a [B].

[quote user="Chancer"]

Why dangerous, its libel plain and simple (unless of course the journalist can prove otherwise), a journalist of all people should know better and I am fairly sure this one did.

Thankfully France has some sensible laws that prevent the publication of this sort of intrusion into someones private life.

[/quote]

If you read the first post carefully you will see that it begins:

"What is France coming to?"

This, and the light-hearted way in which the rumours were described should have provided a clue as to the intended topic: the change in attitude recently towards  the private lives of people in the public eye..

There never used to be this 'peoplisation' of Politics in France before, but Sarkozy has taken a leaf out of the Clinton/Blair tradition. I believe there is a proverb about 'supping with the Devil'...

"even less interest in the regional elections of our country."

There was even less interest in my topic on Simone Veil, or the link I posted to the superb 'discours' of Jean d'Ormesson which is not only a magnificent piece of writing in French, but also a very moving  account of her life and achievements, but then there is not much interest in matters French which are not purely functional.

The only aspect of Le petit Nicolas that at all interest me is his earlier loud pre-election trumpetings on how he was going to fix a stated number of problems in his first 100 days............

Clearly he has not: however, he is, of course, a politician.

And insofar as Ms. Bruni be concerned, who has a significant reputation as a serial philanderer and marriage wrecker, my only concern was whether or no her high profile tabloid life might denegrate the essential diplomatic integrity of the Fifth Republic and its credibility.

Clearly it has.

Probably "Twitter" would escape any problem whilst they had no knowledge of the "tweet". But the "gallic shrug" would no longer apply after becoming aware of the "tweet". Removal and retraction would assuage wounded feelings. But in effect a veritable mind blast with every jurisdiction having a different take on interpretation.