another collection of photos...

Rose

The problem is with those who only see black and white, you see vulgar,  often obese,  ugly, and to judge by their surroundings insulated from everyday life in France, if it needs explaining, then that is the joke

I see Artisans, escapee's, eccentrics, waiters, children, dogs, some bat for the other side, and some are colourful ladies,

Gawdellpus ~~WB

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know that there is a flaky English chap near Sommières who is the spitting image of some of the crusties in the photos, and has an IQ to match despite struggling to run a so -called site peddling half-baked self-interested untruths...

But he is the only real ugly ( mentally rather then physically) that I have suffered in the Languedoc.

Perhaps on the whole we had a better class of immigrant before the catastrophic 2000s

Norman said "These are images of vulgar,  often obese,  ugly, and to judge by their surroundings insulated from everyday life in France."

Hey lighten up Norman [:D]

I didnt really see the images, its true the photos that Cooperlola posted are far better, for me I read a little bit about some very interesting, which makes for me, beautiful people [:D]

I dont become envious or begrudge the wealth of others and fail to see why anyone can consider them to be vulgar.

I suppose in one way they are very different from everyday life in France, many of them have had several varied and intersting jobs during their lives and have lived/worked in other countries.

I know a couple of the people in the photographs and so it was a bit of a shock to see them in compromising positions.  How did the photographer get some of them to pose like that?  He must have spent a lot of time with them to gain their confidence.  As I flicked through them, I was thinking whether I would have agreed to be photographed in such a way.

I like smiling all the time so I noticed that none of them were smiling - maybe that is why one feels uncomfortable looking at them?

I am sure I'm not alone (even on this thread) in seeing these images as designed to be against the norm, (perhaps even dare I suggest like the subjects) of course there are images out there with smiles and everything just so, including minions to millionaires, probably in a book in M&S, what price something else; as Jon Snow said 'Hitler lost'.[:D]

[quote user="Cathy"]I know a couple of the people in the photographs and so it was a bit of a shock to see them in compromising positions.  How did the photographer get some of them to pose like that?  He must have spent a lot of time with them to gain their confidence.  As I flicked through them, I was thinking whether I would have agreed to be photographed in such a way.

I like smiling all the time so I noticed that none of them were smiling - maybe that is why one feels uncomfortable looking at them?

[/quote]

Well Heigh-Ho then!

A regular bean feast for expatties in the Lyon Area at ParisPhoto during November.[:)]

Série Another Country - Les britanniques en France, 2010

http://www.parisphoto.fr/artiste.html?ar=787

Why O why did they have to use the photo of the bint on the donkey to publicise the exposition Les Brittaniques in France? are we not misunderstood enough already?

Am I the only one that thinks the donkey is way beyond its PTAC and/or should have une carte grise?

[quote user="Chancer"]

Why O why did they have to use the photo of the bint on the donkey to publicise the exposition Les Brittaniques in France? are we not misunderstood enough already?

[/quote]

Chancer... that's the best giggle I've had for a couple of days... thank you!  [:D] [kiss]

[quote user="Gluestick"]  would I prefer to gaze on:  (i)  The Venus De Milo?  (ii)  Or Tracy Emin's unmade bed (Replete with stains)? [/quote]

I'm just as happy to see all perspectives,  Aubrey Beardsley to  Francisco Zurbaran I'm not a great lover of Tate modern, but it's worth a look, personally I'd rather stand on a bridge in Venice or Giverney, that's not to say I wouldn't be just as happy if Sweet were to publish her project
[quote user="sweet 17"]  I could have taken photos of all the different types of sewage works and, who knows, a sanitary engineer might have asked me for an autographed copy! [/quote]

[quote user="Chancer"] Why O why did they have to use the photo of the bint on the donkey to publicise the exposition Les Brittaniques in France?  [/quote]

It must be one of the most loaded pics against the norm don't you think? [:)]

as for her motive perhaps in one of those devil may care moods she said you can kiss my a55 and the only that way my a55 would look good would be if I sat on it![:D]

There is a current thread on TF about this. I think these people are very brave. I think the uneasy feeling we have when viewing them is intentional. They are I presume told how to pose and the surroundings were well thought out. I could be wrong but to me they are meant to show very little personality and are posed like an object, piece of meat or bowl of fruit for example but in a bizarre pose. The photo almost appears to shock when you read the description of which appears in many cases quite ordinary.

I can only imagine if it were me and my very ordinary circumstances and life was captioned below such a bizarre irrelevant benign photo in my own surroundings (building rubble!). [:)]

Sadly one that would be relevant and show my personality at the moment may be too disturbing for the general public! [Www]

[quote user="WJT"]

when you read the description of which appears in many cases quite ordinary.

[/quote]

I am not so sure that I would consider them to be "ordinary" reading the descriptions - or at least not representative.

"came from Abu Dhabi"

"was born in South Africa "

"is half Dutch "

"she was born in Canada and grew up between Kingston, Ontario and Germany"

That's just from the first 10 pictures.  Then throw in the number of  artists.

They seem a bit like a bunch of international multi-cultural misfits that have landed up in France.  And while this might well fit me as a description, it does not fit any of the other immigrants that I know in our area.