Canadian french??????????

idun

I had the misfortune to catch a cooking program from Canada today with Marie-Soleil Michon and Ricardo.

Here is an example of said 'dame' ...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVxgO7nsCOo

And yes, in Canada they thought I was french, that is in Quebec, where they are supposed to speak french……..is it a wonder that they thought I was french. The french language is so massacred that it will soon no longer resemble french at all, other than written and even then they play with it so much that I even wonder about that.

Ricardo’s french was equally ‘ugly’.  I couldn’t find another more suitable word, and ‘ugly’ fits the bill for me at least.  To employ such people to broadcast, encourage them……is to lead the language down a path that I find to be rather sad.

It isn’t as if I don’t know french people with thick thick accents. Over the years we got to know people from all over France, some from the south, when cinq was ‘sink’ etc and yet, I always understood and it was always ‘french’ and rather nice.

[quote user="idun"]

I had the misfortune to catch a cooking program from Canada today with Marie-Soleil Michon and Ricardo.

Here is an example of said 'dame' ...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVxgO7nsCOo

And yes, in Canada they thought I was french, that is in Quebec, where they are supposed to speak french……..is it a wonder that they thought I was french. The french language is so massacred that it will soon no longer resemble french at all, other than written and even then they play with it so much that I even wonder about that.

Ricardo’s french was equally ‘ugly’.  I couldn’t find another more suitable word, and ‘ugly’ fits the bill for me at least.  To employ such people to broadcast, encourage them……is to lead the language down a path that I find to be rather sad.

It isn’t as if I don’t know french people with thick thick accents. Over the years we got to know people from all over France, some from the south, when cinq was ‘sink’ etc and yet, I always understood and it was always ‘french’ and rather nice.

[/quote]

Bit like American English really.

I wasn't allowed to do my industrial placement year in Montreal when I studied French at Uni, for the very reason that, to quote my tutor: "You're supposed to be improving your French"

I sometimes get asked by one of my students to help her understand/translate e-mails or announcements sent out by their Canadian branches, and it does seem to have adopted a lot of American English, so there's a sort of American "Franglais" to it that makes me laugh.

[quote user="idun"]

[/quote]

Was it as bad as some of the english used on BBC these days?

[quote user="NickP"]Well Idun, I hope you're equally dismissive of the Scottish/Welsh/Geordie Lancastrian/ Yorkshire etc. use of English? It's local dialect, and the Canadians are very proud of their "French" ( Quebecois)[/quote]

I'm from the NE of England. And I lived in the Alpes where there is a local patois, so the people who spoke it  considered  themselves bilingual as they spoke the local patois AND french. The difference in the countries is that in the UK there is no Acadamie and the local dialets, patois remain, as vageries of english and I'm quite happy with that.

I have heard that canadian french is like original french, really? It is inevitable that some american english draws from old english usage, and I would suppose that canadian french does the same. But for the rest, well, I'll need some convincing. What has the Academie to say about it I wonder?[blink]

I would imagine that as Quebec isn't part of France, anything The Academie might say won't be of much importance to the Quebecois, Idun. I think you're right about Canadian French being an older form of French, just as there are usages in American English which have died out in British English e.g. gotten.

[quote user="andrew44"]I take it that nobody has come across this.....http://www.tetesaclaques.tv/collection/par_date/1

Les Têtes à claques - only the eyes and mouths move. Don't forget to click on 'sous-titres' though !

@+

Andrew 44
[/quote] I've known them for years !! I'm a fan ! [:)]

[quote user="idun"]

[/quote]

idun, you can't really blame people from speaking their "received" language.

I think it would be very boring if everyone spoke the same way.

Probably the most difficult "english" to understand (apart from what the chinese speak) is that from the Caribbean countries, but it's incredibly colourful.

Even though I find it difficult to understand everyone I hear in english, french or spanish, I try to tell myself they are doing the best they can, even if they're from Essex (my home county), and are murdering the language.

I must say[:D][:D][:D], that the french speaking canadians are obsessed with french. All the cars in Quebec have 'je me souviens' on them Remember what?....... not how to speak clear french. That they were oppressed? And now they run their own part of Canada and what do I see on canadian tv, corruption is rife and sometimes leading to very dangerous situations.

They know how french sounds, they get french tv and films.

I agree it would be boring if every one spoke the same way, and I have caused much hilarity over the years with my french.

I must remark that the world standard for the language used for air traffic control is english.

That is, apart from, guess where - Quebec of course, where they use french.

I won't swear to that, just what I heard....

Edit: I think they have a giant chip on their collective shoulder....

My boys quite fancy moving to Canada after lycee (though not to Quebec) and have been told that being fluent in both the official languages of Canada will be quite useful if they want to work in any government job or join the Canadian Forces or the Mounties.  Does this mean that their authentic Charentais accent will be pretty much useless in Canada then??   Will they not be able to make themselves understood or understand anyone over there??

LOL Debra, nearly choked on my cuppa.  IF 'I' got treat like someone special with my rubbish french, then I betchya they'd be treat like kings with authentic french accents. On satellite tv with some contracts there is TV5 Monde, programs from francophile countries all over the world, y compris Canada!

I have only travelled in  Quebec and Ontario, and by canadian standards that isn't much. But, as most of the population live in those provinces, and most live not too far from the US border, then in real terms I have covered quite a lot of inhabited Canada.

Found the english and french speakers had the same mentality.

My son broached going at one point, and my heart sank, I wouldn't want to live in Canada, ever. I didn't tell him that, but that is how I feel about the place. And I have to say, I have a lovely Uncle there and he loves the place, no illusions about it either.  I may one day go to the Rockies and through to Vancouver for the 'spectacle' and I could see myself visiting my Uncle again, but visit anywhere else holds no interest for me at all.

I don't mind them going, Idun as long as we can figure out how to go with them!  I haven't been there but my husband has and he has family there too.  All  he says is that it gets very cold!  A friend from school just moved there and she loves it but then she lived there as a child and has always wanted to go back.

"I had an elderly Quebecoise lady staying with me in the Vendee a few years back. She couldn't believe her eyes when she saw the French halt signs with the word "STOP" emblazoned on them. In Quebec, apparently, they say "ARRET" ! "

This reminds me of my astonishment the first time I visited the USA and the Give Way signs said Yield.

Hoddy

[quote user="nomoss"]

I must remark that the world standard for the language used for air traffic control is english.

That is, apart from, guess where - Quebec of course, where they use french.[/quote]

I'd actually heard that about France too.... (but is that only for domestic flights?)