toyboy

mint

What would be the appropriate French expression for the above, SVP?

I thought of "un gars de jeu sexuel" but I don't think it quite fits the bill.

And, no, I am not going to explain the circumstances in which I had to explain this English expression to my French neighbours last Saturday afternoon. 

Come on, ericd, I see you have recently been on line?

Your article made me laugh, Clair, especially with the references to "les femmes mûres" because I couldn't help but translate that to "ripe women" which to my juvenile sense of humour equates to women with BO![:D]

"Gigolo" is good, Christine, understandable in most Western European languages, I would imagine.

One more expression then:  what is the French for "lateral thinking"?

My French teacher thinks there is no such expression....so now I understand why there is so much wrong with France (only joking!) because the French can't think laterally!

Some people tried to explain about Edward de Bono but she hadn't heard of him either!

[quote user="Gengulphus"]pensée laterale

[quote user="sweet 17"]My French teacher thinks there is no such expression....[/quote]
Quite. 

Which precisely explains why the phrase has not been widely embraced on this side of the Channel…

I haven't heard of it, therefore it doesn't exist.

[/quote]

Yup.

The expression does not exist, but the concept has always been around of course.

And for "les femmes mûres", the really predatory ones who go for "les pt'its jeunes", they are "des cougars".  The cougars are an endlessly fascinating topic for some TV programmes... A cougar is often quite proud of being one, too.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

What would be the appropriate French expression for the above, SVP?

I thought of "un gars de jeu sexuel" but I don't think it quite fits the bill.

And, no, I am not going to explain the circumstances in which I had to explain this English expression to my French neighbours last Saturday afternoon. 

Come on, ericd, I see you have recently been on line?

[/quote]

I'm here !!!....The word "playboy" could be used and most people would understand. "Gigolo" is a bit "ringard" "vieux-jeux" "demode". In the deepest parts of France (and anywhere else for that matter) you could use the word "son jeune amoureux"  (followed or not by a wink or two) and this would hit the nail on the head.

Private Email details follow via pm

The expression 'toy boy' has been incorporated into the French language, as far as I can see!  They certainly understand it in my village and I was reading an article in the doctor's waiting room today which discussed how Demi Moore had been reinvigorated by rehab and her new toy boy!

Just thought I'd mention that I have tried "minet" a couple of times, once to a group of mixed age women and once to the elderly man who owns the orchard next to our house and it seems to have been readily understood and found to be amusing as everybody laughed.

So, many thanks.......

Was taking part in a group photo yesterday as I went for a rando as part of the Defi-Sport initiative.  Taken there by some lovely French neighbours.

As I was just preparing to show my more "photogenic" side, ie, not the right side where I have a corker of a shiner (because the elastic band I was working out with in the gym on Friday flew off my leg and the buckle hit me smack in the right eye), a Frenchman with a twinkle in his eye put his arm around me and said I was his "fiancée".

A few people near us sniggered but, quick as a flash, I said, "oui, c'est mon gigolo" (quoting Christine Animal).  So then, the laughter grew louder.  How nice to be able to think of a quick answer when needed!  Usually, it might be days afterwards before I can think of what I should have said....[:D]

Well, having read so much from you ladies who are clearly fascinated by the concept of younger stud, i have a confession. I am a toyboy and she calls me her stallion, her stud, plus a few thongs(sic) I cannot reveal. Go for it big time baby. Plus her friends are so jealous, they have all started changing their hairdos!