I don't like.....

SaligoBay

We all know that the French are the culinary masters of the universe but there are some things around that I could easily live without...

- I like chorizo on pizzas, but can't enjoy slices of raw chorizo.  It just tastes like a mouthful of fat!

- Those funny little round slices of bread for canapés, about 5cm in diameter, loads of them in the supermarkets around foie gras time.   Aren't they nasty, they're dry and cotton-woolly, yuck, they spoil the taste of whatever's on them!    They have a strange 1970s air about them, maybe they should have stayed there!  

- Croque-monsieur.   Still wondering why this is so highly regarded.  

What French culinary delights are you not delighted by?

Creme anglais...... Who fooled the French in to thinking it was custard !

Iles Flottant.......What actually is it !

Croque Madame...... Why does sticking a fried egg on a Monsieur make it even more culinary ?

Barbe Papa..........One for the kids !

And don't forget, those round bread slices also come in miniature square oblongy type slices for things like pretend caviar in pink and black.

I actually think French cooking is grossly over-rated( usually by themselves!!).The World has moved on culinary-wise but many in France are stuck in a time warp!! When you have one of those "menu of the day meals"( we often do) the desserts are usually abyssmal. I was mortified when we took friends to a reasonable restaurant and the dessert was a tiny bowl of tinned fruit salad!! The seafood is normally very well done though.

Iles Flottant.......What actually is it !

Good question.  I tried to tell someone that it was cold runny custard with blobs of meringue floating in it, but my French neighbour said "it's not meringue, it's egg-whites".   Silly me.  

I quite enjoy this as a comfort-food treat, bit sad, I know! 

French cuisine is such a funny mixture.  There is some wonderful stuff to be had, bien sur, but it can share table space in a disconcerting manner with the things mentioned above, and I sometimes think I've been invited to a bad-taste retro 1970s evening without knowing it.

I've been trying to think whether we eat better than we did in the UK, and maybe yes, but not hugely better, and to be honest the biggest difference is probably the increase in salades consumption.   This is clearly a Good Thing, but is balanced by missing the excitement of that foodie culture in the UK, all those exciting chefs having fun with food.   I'm getting a bit bored with discussions on 100 ways to fill a quiche, or how to serve plain courgettes "relevé avec un peu d'ail"!

So what do you all eat in France, on an everyday basis?   Jour ferié today, asparagus at lunchtime, then tielles and salade peut-être, or could persuade TOH to carbonise some suspicious-looking sossidges on the barbie. 

We all seem to have the same dislikes, andoulettes,tripe,pate de tete and yuky tasteless deserts! not forgeting those little pots of apple compote  which most kids seem to love and mine tasted once and hate.

Today we are having a  homemade pisidari(wrong spelling entirely!)....onion and anchove pizza , then its off to Gerona airport for me ,for 4 days of garlicless spiceless and herbless food at my dads. Mrs O

.........most of the above!!!

After living here for three years, I agree that French cuisine is really overated and stuck in a "traditional", very conservative and unadventurous time warp but, saying that, I do love eating out at good restaurants on special occasions.

I do think we are eating a much heathier diet at home though as we have no Tescos or Sainsburys down the road with all those wonderful ready meals on offer. and I just love those little boxes of couscous oriental and the grated carrot in vinaigarette.

I have to cook daily now, so it's mainly stir fries, fresh fish, veggies and salads, lots of olive oil mediterranean type dishes and no puddings, cheese or butter unless we have guests. I'm glad that winter is over (?) and I can stick that casserole dish away out of sight for a few months.

Today..........erm, we forgot that it was a public holiday so hubby has gone off to work with his snap tin (and hasn't returned!) so I'm indulging my passion for seafood and having moules for lunch (he is allergic), then it's dorade for tea. You can tell I hit the fish stall yesterday can't you?

Oh ,and I can't get Ready, Steady Cook! anymore but my French neighbours watch it daily and try to copy the recipes!

Tripe in any form, Andouilletes,Veau,Langue or any strange parts of animals, however my OH loves all those especially cow snout in vinaigrette and any sort of saucisson and tripes. Breton specialities don't grab my taste either especially Far Breton or Flan which tastes like raw Yorkshire pud with prunes to me and completely indigestible unless you were weaned on it and some of the butter biscuits taste stale to me,again an inborn taste I think. However, I do think food in France is far far superior to UK offerings and the range of meats available here and quality much better. Does anyone know how to cook pig's ears which I saw on a platter for sale in the supermarket the other week?

Can't stand

Tripe

Andouilettes

Unsalted Butter

INGRÉDIENTS  pour 4 convives

Oreilles de cochon nettoyées par le tripier

Cuill à S de vinaigre de vin

Oignons

Clous de girofle – piqués dans 1 oignon

Carotte coupée en rondelles

Cl de vin blanc sec

Bouquet garni : 1 branche de thym, 2 feuilles de laurier

G de roquette lavée et essorée

Noix de beurre

Cuill à S de cerfeuil haché – Sel, Poivre

Vinaigrette

Cuill à S de vinaigre de vin,

Cuill à S d’huile d’arachide

Pincée de sel et 1 de poivre

PRÉPARATION

• Dans une casserole d’eau froide, mettre les 3 oreilles de cochon, ajouter 1 cuillère à soupe de vinaigre de vin. Porter à ébullition, en écumant. Rafraîchir les oreilles sous l’eau froide courante et les égoutter.

Harry's anything (Absolutely foul muck masquerading under the name of "bread".

Tripe, andouillettes, fromage frais (rotten milk generally) Crème fraîche (waste of good cream to rot it). Bad copies of good cheeses. Brawn (oops, sorry, that's english - err. umm) fromage de tête. As others have said, those revolting semi sweet crumbly things people spoil foie gras and smoked salmon with. French smoked salmon, almost all smoked fish as found here. Winkles & Whelks - err, oops Bigorneaux & Bulots, and most raw shellfish. Perverting perfectly good dishes from other countries.

I most certainly don't agree that _in general_ food in the UK is better than it is in Frence, even if the quality here has sunk like a stone in the last 30 years and things have improved beyond belief in the UK recently.

One of our local places "Chez Gilberte" will put on a 5 course workman's lunch, with wine, for €11. OK, the pud will be pretty quelconque, but the rest will be fine. Where in the UK can you hope to find anything any where near that? So let's not fall into the french trap of denigrating other cuisines in an attempt to be proud of out own.

Saligo I make a wonderful Croque Monsieur. In fact if I had the things in to make some, I would do so now.

I also like a decent home made ile flottante with a good caramel.

All the tripey things revolt me but my husband likes them.

I'm rather sick of only daring to buy filet steak if we are having steak, which isn't so often, as I just can't find any other cuts of tender beef steak.

The squashes, well I give up on them. Alone, well they don't stand alone, unlike most other veg they are tasteless and it is only what is with them that has any gout. I can't say much about a single one of them, but as they are grown, I assume that they must have some nutritional value and as such use them. Count courgette in with squash, if it isn't, because ofcourse a courge is something quite different and definitely a squash. And the squashes can be anywhere, so not really a french food moan either.

I hate sliced loaves here. How DARE THEY SELL week old bread....... even Peggy Bundy used to mock day old bread. The 'english' loaves are not so good, but definiately less sweet and the price, scandelous.

I don't like; truthfully that isn't a lot. I like my food. I didn't get to my ample proportions without liking my food.

I am always amazed the things the French stuff into jars and then sell in the gourmet section in the supermarket. I have only ever seen 1 person buying a jar ( Duck in fat and god knows what) in the 2 years we have been here.

Food wish you can not beat the French for there salads, if you like lardons that is.

[quote]Andouillettes, andouillettes, andouillettes.Oh, and Tripe à la mode de Caen.Absolutely offal.[/quote]

Yum yum Andouillettes and Boudin Blanc I luv em. Can't even touch the black one though.  With the Andouillettes, please don't tell me what's inside cos I'm easily turned off things, like on holiday once when somebody showed me the beaky thing inside a fried squid. I have never eaten squid since.

Apart from the Bajan sausage, the only other thing I don't like is those big fat sausages full of huge blobs of exploding cholesterol.  If you are having a BBQ and cooking those I will not come even if you plead with me.

weedon

PS.

Slightly agree about the chorizo because somebody told me it was donkey meat.  Hee haw

TU said..... "Saligo I make a wonderful Croque Monsieur. In fact if I had the things in to make some, I would do so now. I also like a decent home made ile flottante with a good caramel."

TU,

Could you do me a favour and give your recipe to all the restos between Provence and Brittany, cause I suspect you may well make the best ones in France. Personally I have yet to be priveleged enought to have been offered a half decent version of either !

Ian said "....So let's not fall into the french trap of denigrating other cuisines in an attempt to be proud of out own"

I don't think that is the norm on here. It is usually a case of trying to argue the case that British cuisine (as you more or less stated)is no longer a thing to be snitched at.

The legend that has preceded French restos and food in general, is now being seriously challenged and often superceded by countries all over the world and it is quite often the case, that people "up" the French restos to justify the more usual rubbish 9/11 euro menus all over France.

I know it is hard to beat that price in most countries and you may well be lucky enough to have a place that does offer something around that price which you say is good but I have to say, most around here are not that good actually, offering the same boring menu year after year.

Still, thankfully "for a few dollars more" the choice does sometimes at least, make it worthy of the journey.

Don't like

French sausages: disgustingly full of fat and far too salty. Not that I like ghastly cheapo British sausages, but good-quality British sausages are far better than French. But love boudin noir aux pommes.

French bread: ranges from wonderful to really awful. In the UK we always ate wholemeal bread - hard to find edible wholemeal here. About 75% of the bakeries in this region sell what I call 'styrofoam' bread, a dry white pap that some days I just cannot bring myself to eat. But on a recent trip to the Dordogne noticed that the bread down there was better.

French humous - beurk!

French fruit yoghurts - full of additives

Miss the access to 'ethnic' foods. But meat is much better here.

Jo

Many of the above but certainly not croque monsieur, love it (tho' quality varies enormously).  Nor pissaladiere, mmmm, could eat that forever, especially my home made.  Serious problem I have is not a major dislike but a very easily bored with and that's duck.  Which is troublesome in the south west as it results in my eating a considerable number of omelettes!

By the way, someone mentions sausages?  You can't have tried the ones from Toulouse, absolute heaven.  Cook them as you would a joint of porc, bliss.

M

[quote]Many of the above but certainly not croque monsieur, love it (tho' quality varies enormously). Nor pissaladiere, mmmm, could eat that forever, especially my home made. Serious problem I have is not ...[/quote]

Toulouse are to me Margaret, often just a grander source of flying fat once the fork stabs in !!From a good source of Pork, Tina bit in to a "Toulouse" and ended up having to have a splinter of bone taken from her gum, bad luck of course. Kind of puts you off a tad after someting like that happens though!!

Maigret de Canard when taken in a good resto is for me, a better choice than any other meat dish. Try the duck at Le Moulin du Roc in Champagnac du Belair, just a few minutes from Brantôme in the Perigord, pure heaven....

Food, like music, is so personal, is it not ?

Hi,

Croque Monsieur.

I'm a little dazed about this. Mind you, I've not ordered one in a bar for years, so I havan't much idea as to what you get. For me, a croque monsieur is a sandwich of gruyere and ham, fried. I think it's delicious.

If you've got one of those toasted sandwich makers that were so fashionable some years ago, try making your croque monsieur in that. BUT. Remember that as always the quality of your basic ingredients is crucial, especially when you've really only got 4 of them!

Decent bread. Sliced reasonably thin (already we've lost 99%). Take your two slices. On one slice, place a thickish (none of that filthy prepack) slice of good "jambon blanc", in this area there's a market stall who do freshly cooked ham, that's the sort of stuff. On top of that slice of ham, place an equally thick slice of good gruyère - you may have to use comté here in France, but let it be a "comté affiné", not those plastic wrapped abominations from the supermarket.

Now if you feel like it, you can put a very thin spread of chutney. It's not in the least bit authentic, but it makes a pretty yummy addition. Put the other slice of bread on top. Trim round the edges. Now, traditionally you would fry this sandwich on both sides in a little very hot clarified butter. What we do, is to very thinly butter both outsides of the sarnie, and pop it in the sandwhich toaster, till nicely browned and crispy. Eat while still piping hot. And then DARE to come back and tell me it's yucky.

[quote]Hi,Croque Monsieur.I'm a little dazed about this. Mind you, I've not ordered one in a bar for years, so I havan't much idea as to what you get. For me, a croque monsieur is a sandwich of gruyere and h...[/quote]

Beam me up, it's taking culinary skills a bit far when we now are being given how to cook, grill or whatever a bluddy croque monsieur !! Fried ? Someone has forgotten to tell them all that bit !!

You have taken it out of its original "make up" and you know how you are pretty strict on how something should be cooked, telling others off for *******ising other culinary dishes !!

Telling someone they WILL like it, I am sure, you as a chef are aware, is not how ones individual taste buds work !! I have had the damned things when hungry and nothing else available in more bars than there are down the Champs Elysee and they are often too cold, too yukky and too bluddy no good, end of, our kids love 'em though but then they like McDos as well