DIETING 2005

Suninfrance

OK - this is it - new year, new me (how many times have I said that :hehe.

Seriously though.  I actually started cutting down my carbs after Boxing Day.  Today I got on the scales and I'm down 3lbs.  Amazing .

Introducing a 'no alcohol til the weekend' rule and hopefully this will help too.

Daily walks (if it ever stops raining - Correze (19) allegedly has the highest rainful in France) and early nights too.

I am so going to get fit this year.

Two friends joining in as well.

Here's to a fitter, slimmer New Year.

Happy New Year everyone.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very very interesting and for once what I consider sensible little article on Netscape.Com board about eating, quantities and carbs. It's a sort of news pop up called What's New and is:The No. 1 Diet Buster May Surprise You

Carbs it seems are good.

This is what the pop up says, its a helpful way to visulise things but I have no idea how big a baseball is ?

--------------------------------------------------------------

The No. 1 Diet Buster May Surprise You

Portion distortion will bust even the best diet. It's how much you eat--more than what you eat--that makes you fat. Whether you're on a strict low-carbohydrate diet or you're on a do-it-yourself diet that fits your lifestyle, the most important factor for success is portion control. Eat too much of anything and you'll get fat. We have a problem with portion distortion.

If your serving of meat is larger than a cassette tape or your baked potato is bigger than a computer mouse, you're eating too much. Sizing up our favorite foods with commonly used objects is one way to get a better mental picture of how much is the right amount. Plus, it's a lot easier than weighing and measuring your food.

--Three ounces of steak is about the size of a deck of cards or a cassette tape.

--Three ounces of grilled fish is about the size of a checkbook.

--One serving of fresh fruit is about the size of a tennis ball.

--One ounce of cheese is about the size of a C battery.

--One-half cup ice cream is about the size of a tennis ball.

--One cup of pasta, potatoes, or vegetables is about the size of a fist. --Six ounces of juice is about the size of a yogurt container.

--A two-and-a-half ounce bagel is about the length of a credit card.

--A two ounce muffin is the same size as a small apple.

--One cup of salad is the same size as a baseball.

--One quarter cup of dried fruit, such as raisins, is the size of a golf ball.

--One teaspoon of butter is about the size of the tip of your thumb.

--Two tablespoons of peanut butter is the size of a ping-pong ball.

--One ounce of nuts is one handful.

Sources: Prevention magazine, About Nursing newsletter, Midwest Dairy Association Web site

--------------------------------------------------------------

TU, the carbs that are good are complex carbs which is just what the GI diet recommends.

I can hold a baseball comfortably in the palm of my hand. Maybe about the size of a child's fist really.

And what is a GI diet? sounds like US army issue to their forces. I never follow diets, but I thought that the info in question was interesting also the article has a bit more to it than this helpful cut and paste, if one clicks on the blue headings.

GI is Glycemic Index, if you avoid processed food, white flour, sugar etc and eat more complex carbs it helps keep your blood sugar level even, this helps to prevent diabetes but also prevents you feeling hungry.

Actually its pretty easy to do - South Beach diet and others like The Zone are based on it, its just sensible eating really.

A 'google' on Glycemic Index would tell you better than my description!

I watched a program the other day (I call it sad tv... erm you know the bit between when the kids have had their viewing and waiting for yours...surfing the channels!)

It was about families swapping mums, it was in America, everyone on this show had strap on arses..huge people with HUGE thighs,and I mean whole families. Made me wonder why I stop eating that biscuit with my morning coffee, that glass of wine(ok 2 with lunch) and spend 20 mins infront of the TV with Rosemary Conely every other day! everything in moderation is my moto.

I am 43 years old and 5 feet 5, have weighed 10 stone 7 since I can remember(pregnancy excepted...got into trouble then for only gaining a stone!) had two babies ,each weighing 7lb 2 and 7lb 10, in my opinion(and that of my friends) eat well, with 2 good meals per day and keep busy,sod the diet regime and eat sensibly!

Got myself a copy of the South Beach Diet book and rather than just skip to the eating plans, decided to read it.  What the book says makes so much sense.

Not completely sticking to the eating plan at the moment - need to get to the shops, but I'm just having meat and veg for my evening meal, no spuds and I'm losing weight without feeling hungry - that has to be good.

Jan

We will get there.  I am actualy looking forward to going back onto Atkins!  Will start with him anyway then probably go onto the Zone after the initial fortnight.

I want to lose four inches.   I AM going to lose four inches.

Starting Tuesday.....

We're all going to do it - this year

We had Xmas dinner with friends and went for a walk afterwards.  Hubby took a photo of us all.  Needless to say, I was quite shocked.  We don't have any mirrors in our "hovel" yet, but the photo said it all.

Measuring/weigh in on Tuesdays again?

Jan

[quote]Plucked up courage and weighed myself today - put on 3lbs....too many sausage rolls!New target to lose 6lbs by Valentine day........Where are the rest of the dieters ?[/quote]

I'm here ( in a very small voice!). 5 members of our family are doing it even though we are in different countries.We ring each other up with developments,early days yet though! I haven't weighed myself in years 'cos I won't like what I see but I know I've got to try and stop the rot!!  Good luck everyone

My daughter and husband are into diet mode too, my husband (type 2 diabetic) is having the same evening meal as me 'a la South Beach' but my daughter (who has most to lose) is a real carb addict and doesn't like vegetables (how did that happen ?)so she is calorie counting.

Lets hope the element of competition/group activity is a motivator !

Feeling fat and frumpy after a very good festive season so decided to check out the French Weightwatchers site. Turns out there's a meeting in Castres on a Tuesday afternoon so I'm going to give it a go.

Last year I did Atkins in the New Year and, yes, the weight just dropped off but I just felt it couldn't be good for me. All that fat sloshing around my arteries. I lost weight in UK with WW back in 1990 and found the food plan was based on a very healthy varied diet with plenty of fruit and veg.

I also hope it will give me another opportunity to mix with the locals and learn all the French "regime" vocab!

Regarding Diet and Exercise:

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it...don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have body fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: NONE. I always believe; No Pain...Good !

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!!. Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil.In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: Are you crazy? HELLO ......******oa beans ... another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about diet and exercise and remember, "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Got back in routine (well roughly )and happy to say I lost 2 lbs - 1 more to go to get to pre Xmas weight.

Looked around at some treadmills at the weekend but have now decided to hire one for a month, to see if we really will use it. I don't want to buy one just to have it sit in the corner.

Looked at the South Beach forum yesterday at http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/ of course its American based, but there are some nice recipes posted, and I found out, at last, what Arugala is - Rocket !!

Keep going Jan, it will shift, just keep at it!

Hi Gay

I've just come off the SBD forum site as well and noticed and interesting selection of letters on SBD and Menopause.  Very interesting theories.  My night sweats and hot flashes have come back with avengence since I started this diet last week - or maybe it could just be a coincidence?  Who knows?

I will not give in after a week though, but I must try and lose at least a couple of kg for my husband's neice's wedding at the end of this month.

Jan